Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:53 PM   #61
majesty95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Then how can you be frustrated when the players don't do what you expect them to do? I don't mean to pick on you, but now you're contradicting yourself.
It's pretty straight forward I think. I don't want to know a guy is going to hit 24 HR with 32 2B and a .287 AVG. In a one year recalc I know I'm going to get pretty close to exactly what his year was that year (+/- some small variation). With a 3-year recalc I can't look at his stats and say exactly what he's going to do. Maybe he had an injury year in there, that might affect him. Maybe one of the years was down so I could get that or a normal season. It's still somewhat predictable but it's not as exact as a one year recalc.

With that being said, when I'm in the middle of a three-year period where a guy averages over 10 K/9 in all three seasons and averages less than 9 in the sim, something is off. All of his others stats fell in the range of his averages but his strikeouts were way down. That seems like a flaw not a random occurrence. Especially when the 6 seasons he averaged over 10 in RL he averaged under 9 in the game.

He also had 148 games striking out 10 or more in real life. I've seem 4 in the game. That's not even statistically probable withoit something being wrong. That may be a product of a 3-year recalc but it's still wrong. It's a flaw. He shouldn't be having only 3% of the big games he had in real life. Had he had 40-50, I can see it just being random. Maybe another sim he would have 200. But 4??? That's not just random variance.
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #62
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95 View Post
It's pretty straight forward I think. I don't want to know a guy is going to hit 24 HR with 32 2B and a .287 AVG. In a one year recalc I know I'm going to get pretty close to exactly what his year was that year (+/- some small variation). With a 3-year recalc I can't look at his stats and say exactly what he's going to do. Maybe he had an injury year in there, that might affect him. Maybe one of the years was down so I could get that or a normal season. It's still somewhat predictable but it's not as exact as a one year recalc.

With that being said, when I'm in the middle of a three-year period where a guy averages over 10 K/9 in all three seasons and averages less than 9 in the sim, something is off. All of his others stats fell in the range of his averages but his strikeouts were way down. That seems like a flaw not a random occurrence. Especially when the 6 seasons he averaged over 10 in RL he averaged under 9 in the game.

He also had 148 games striking out 10 or more in real life. I've seem 4 in the game. That's not even statistically probable withoit something being wrong. That may be a product of a 3-year recalc but it's still wrong. It's a flaw. He shouldn't be having only 3% of the big games he had in real life. Had he had 40-50, I can see it just being random. Maybe another sim he would have 200. But 4??? That's not just random variance.
You're still contradicting yourself, but I'll look past that.

Is it a league-wide problem where strikeouts are down overall? Or is it one player? If it's one player, it's a statistical anomaly that happens all the time with computer simulations and IN REAL LIFE. If it's league-wide, then there's probably a setting or a stats modifier that's wrong.

Again, as I said a couple days ago, when we go into OOTP expecting things to be a certain way, we're setting ourselves up for disappointment.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #63
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

What setting are you using for potentials? Career, remaining career, peak seasons or remaining peak seasons?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #64
majesty95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
What setting are you using for potentials? Career, remaining career, peak seasons or remaining peak seasons?
Remaining years I believe (might be remaining peak)
Old 05-01-2015, 02:00 AM   #65
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I am beginning to agree with Majesty even though I dont; want to. While I am only now getting into the dominant Ryan using 3 yr recalc, he has so far been bad compared to 1 yr recalc. I should finish 3 yr recalc Ryan by Sunday.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...olan-ryan.html
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

Last edited by The Game; 05-01-2015 at 02:54 PM.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #66
majesty95
All Star Starter

I went back into the top game performances and Nolan had 7 games of 13+ K's. He also had 7-8 10+ K games last season before getting injured. However, he still has topped out at 9.1 K/9 in any one season. Dwight Gooden debuted last year with a 10.2 K/9. Small sample and below his real life '84 season but its also a three-year recalc.

I think the amount of outlier strikeout performances is being neutered somehow, as well as guys having outlier seasons. Have no ideas what causes it or how to fix it, but I definitely think it exists in three and five-year recalcs...
Old 05-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #67
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I went back into the top game performances and Nolan had 7 games of 13+ K's. He also had 7-8 10+ K games last season before getting injured. However, he still has topped out at 9.1 K/9 in any one season. Dwight Gooden debuted last year with a 10.2 K/9. Small sample and below his real life '84 season but its also a three-year recalc.

I think the amount of outlier strikeout performances is being neutered somehow, as well as guys having outlier seasons. Have no ideas what causes it or how to fix it, but I definitely think it exists in three and five-year recalcs...
I was beginning to believe ya. With the 3 yr recalc Nolan was just about as good as IRL. Maybe his K/9 is a bit down compared to RL but 6 sns of 300+ K over 10 games of 10+ K 3 of 15+ K 1 no hitter. While not as good as 1 yr recalc Nolan still pretty darn good. For the record i did not touch anything in teh elague. Found it to be eery that he was on The Astros. Obviously he skipped the Angels.
Clemente & Koufax are bordering on absurd.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

"Stay Strong"

Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 PM   #68
majesty95
All Star Starter

Did you use straight 3-year recalc? Double weight current year? How did you base potential (Does that play into performance at all)? Development on? Coaching on? Player personalities on? Morale on?
Old 05-01-2015, 11:09 PM   #69
majesty95
All Star Starter

Yeah, I think I'm about done with OOTP. I can't win for losing. Just a huge time waste for me...

https://youtu.be/WG5qBlaD-YI

The game saved and then I attempted to make a backup of the file. While it was backing up, my PC said something happened an it needed to restart. After the restart I was unable to load my save file. I tried to copy from my backup, not thinking it probably corrupted, and kept getting an error. The game saved to an incident folder and tried to restore from there but just got me to what's shown in the video.

I've had nothing but problems with this game. It has crashes 3-4 times and had to reset my video settings. Its crashed a coupel of times and had to restart, once losing a whole season because I didn't realize auto save defaults to once a year (terrible idea in my opinion). Now this on top of my in game issues.

I don't know what, but I've never had as much trouble with OOTP as this year. Hundreds of hours of my time wasted...
Old 05-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #70
majesty95
All Star Starter

Then I try to submit a ticket on the support site and upload my save file and that encounters an error. SMH
Old 05-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #71
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did you use straight 3-year recalc? Double weight current year? How did you base potential (Does that play into performance at all)? Development on? Coaching on? Player personalities on? Morale on?
yes, no - default, explain, not sure what you mean on that, no, yes, yes, yes.

"Stay Strong"

Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #72
The Game
Hall Of Famer

What happened when you tried to restart the game? OOTP 15 used to crash on me once a week. Reset the skin and such. Annoying but quick fix. Was that your 1st ever backup of that league? Since January 1st game date I have 3 backups. Sorry that OOTP isn't working for you and the way you want it to.

"Stay Strong"

Old 05-02-2015, 12:00 AM   #73
majesty95
All Star Starter

It's in the video that I linked. All my backups go in the same folder. I thought I was trying to load a backup from a few weeks in the league earlier, but I think it was s really corrupted when I tried to back it up again. I'm pretty sure it's dead. Right after I get my team built too SMH. I can't trust the game not to crash so it's pretty much worthless now. So unbelievably frustrating
Old 05-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #74
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I think I'm about done with OOTP. I can't win for losing. Just a huge time waste for me...

The game saved and then I attempted to make a backup of the file. While it was backing up, my PC said something happened an it needed to restart. After the restart I was unable to load my save file. I tried to copy from my backup, not thinking it probably corrupted, and kept getting an error. The game saved to an incident folder and tried to restore from there but just got me to what's shown in the video.

I've had nothing but problems with this game. It has crashes 3-4 times and had to reset my video settings. Its crashed a coupel of times and had to restart, once losing a whole season because I didn't realize auto save defaults to once a year (terrible idea in my opinion). Now this on top of my in game issues.

I don't know what, but I've never had as much trouble with OOTP as this year. Hundreds of hours of my time wasted...
Well in this you are unique. I just had a crash and auto save does not reset to once a year. I actually cloned the league folder that the crash happened and crashed it again to check this because you mentioned it.

It's unfortunate that you are having so many problems but they are not common. I've been playing since the earliest beta builds and this has been the most robust and crash free version in my experience. It is too bad you have not shared that experience.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:14 AM   #75
majesty95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Well in this you are unique. I just had a crash and auto save does not reset to once a year. I actually cloned the league folder that the crash happened and crashed it again to check this because you mentioned it.

It's unfortunate that you are having so many problems but they are not common. I've been playing since the earliest beta builds and this has been the most robust and crash free version in my experience. It is too bad you have not shared that experience.
I meant that the default setting is once a year not that it changed. Sorry for not-clarifying. That game crashed before I realized the default was once a year. I think that setting is illogical as I would assume the vast majority of players don't just auto sim one season at a time so why would you set it to auto save only once a year?

I don't know. Maybe there is an issue with my PC too. Its only 6 months old and built for gaming but I've had a few issues with it outside of OOTP. Just wish I could figure it out because I don't feel like I can play the game and think I just wasted a ton of time with this league
Old 05-02-2015, 02:54 AM   #76
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I meant that the default setting is once a year not that it changed. Sorry for not-clarifying. That game crashed before I realized the default was once a year. I think that setting is illogical as I would assume the vast majority of players don't just auto sim one season at a time so why would you set it to auto save only once a year?

I don't know. Maybe there is an issue with my PC too. Its only 6 months old and built for gaming but I've had a few issues with it outside of OOTP. Just wish I could figure it out because I don't feel like I can play the game and think I just wasted a ton of time with this league
I;ve been there. Spent 6 months editing the nations.txt, well all the txt's back on OOTP 11. Played 5 yrs getting ready to move into the Ewok era then the game crashed and backup was 2-3 seasons old or i did not have one. Started over. PC crashed lost everything except my txts which were saved to a CD. Started over again on OOTP 12. Got 2013 approx and league crashed or PC crashed forget which. Started a new league but everything under the sun was out of whack. Ppl hitting 120 HR a year and stuff. Played orig ABF league for about a year. Bought OOTP 13 around October. Started my EBL vs MLB league all over again and now I am through 3 versions and had not had to use a backup yet. i even saved every backup from 2003-2014 ish to my PC and my X-Drive. Since i bought my PC last year i have had 0 issues with any league except for things that were my fault. Sure there are still a few misc weird things within the game but i don;t even experience issues that half the ppl on here do.
Take a break, get your PC fixed then come back to OOTP. We'll be here.

When you walk into the edge of those dark and lonely woods
And when I ask "How was your day?"
You answer "Not so good"
And when nothing seems to be working out quite the way it should....
I will shine the light
When the skies up above you fill with gray and stormy clouds
And there's not a single face you know in the maddening crowd
When you know that you will make your way, but you just can't see how....
I will shine the light

"Stay Strong"

Old 05-02-2015, 04:42 AM   #77
Walsh06
All Star Reserve

Quote:

To clarify, did you restart during the backup or restarted after the backup??
Old 05-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #78
majesty95
All Star Starter

Well I don't know what is wrong with the PC. It's only 6 mos old and a gaming rig. Have no idea how to go about figuring out what caused it or how to fix it...
Old 05-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #79
Mike67
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I disagree 100%. In my EBL vs MLB, which is my primary league. I have a mix of modern meets fictional meets historical. i use finances from 5 different eras. MLB modern with some tweaks for inflation for 2023. CBF 2003, EBL 1993, IBL 1963 *** stuck at 1995. I have edited players that do what they did in games like High Heat, Hardball & Tony Larussa 3. Yeah Duggleby hit 1200 HR total across those 3 and only has 668 HR so far with 3 seasons left in his career. Those were arcade like games with the exception of HH. I clone a player, sometimes he does great as is the case with Shoeless Joe Jackson, sometimes they fail as is the case of clones of Ron Santo, Harold Baines, Andre Dawson & Jim Palmer to name a few. Right now my settings for my eBL are basically 1993 with use of relievers set to rarely and closers set to normal. I have seen the AI use Closers for 2 inning saves similar to how it did for most of the 1970's settings. I am only 6 games into these settings so it will be interesting to see what happens.
I don't have OCD, perhaps you do? This is not a game for OCD people. Gotta have some compromise.
I may have some level of OCD, I think... Just for the fact that I'm remaking my 77 quickstart from scratch so I can add the numbers retired before 1977 to go along with the proper minor league setups logos, etc.

I just get a kick of playing the 77 QS I made in 15 and seeing Tom Seaver pitch till he's 50, or Johnny Bench be an elite catcher till he's 50..
Mike67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #80
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Problem: If you change roster sizes then the AI can't adapt. Instead of the AI looking at the roster size it is given to work with, it has some other rudimentary way of deciding roster moves and will then sign and release players over and over if your roster limits are too small.

Solution: Have the AI make decisions based on the roster limits set (or remove the ability to change or lower them). If you want to have a 15 man roster, good! Use a 15-man roster. But force the user to use a lower injury scale so they don't run out of players. And/or restrict the user from playing too many games where injuries might eventually take a toll.

I frequently play 19th century and never have a problem with a 15 man roster. Have you looked at the settings page where you can specify number of relievers use of closers etc. If you want a 15 man roster with a 5 man rotation and a modern bullpen it just isn't going to work. However, if you have a 15 man roster with a 1 one man rotation, set your reliever and closer settings down to minimal and set teams to typically have 2 relievers it works fine.

The key is really lots of FAs or very low injury settings. If you have unlimited reserve rosters teams usually have plenty of back ups but few free agents. It does take a little experimenting but you can't expect the manual to tell you how to set up every possible custom scenario.

A historical FAQ maybe long over due though. I have had a lot of experience with 19th and early 20th century play if I can find the time I could start one.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote