Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
sprague
All Star Starter

Random Debut Oddity

I don't play random debut, just started a league to test out a few things and found something rather odd and wanted to share it with you guys. It was the massive potential ratings that occur for esp old time players.

I started a league in 2014 all with random players. Some of what came in was astounding for potential ratings. I wanted to see what the career potential ratings would come out as. Old batters had supurb home run totals as well as batting average.
Cobb came in 250 109 231 144 105
Lajoie was close to Cobb
Babe Ruth had a home run potential rating of 288. Yes that is correct the number is 288.

Then Doug Decinces had a homer rating of 147
But some other hitters have low ratings by the same sort of scale.
Musial 130 155 165 141 191
Hornsby 208 92 101 112 114

Pitchers were also odd
Jack Chesbro had a k rating (the first pitching rating can' remember the name if it) at 244
Herb Score was an amazing 253
Lefty Gomez was 219,
Pedro Martinez only came in at 213

So obviously the game is doing some sort of calculation to adjust the ratings of older players into a modern environment- which as an idea I love (because I don't think the neutralized stats really neutralize enough- old players still can't hit home runs or pitchers strike out anyone which is unrealistic), it is what I am doing with all players in all my normal games going through a bunch of formulas to do, but it seems the formula in the OOTP random debut is giving the old stars too much of a boost, and the middle players of the 40's-70's not enough, and makes little change on players in the modern era.

Wanted to point it out so others can take a peek and see if they are noticing the same thing,
PS goes for the draft classes as well. Each new draft class had these odd to follow potential ratings.
Also did a test with the regular stats folder as well as the spritze hs folder. The numbers tend to come out the same. BUT if I use those databases to import a historical player into any other non random league (Fictional or historical) they come out with the potential ratings you would expect from a normal historical import-

so it is some calculation specifically on the players arrival in random debut that causes the numbers. again I LOVE the idea behind this, but so far not the calculation going on.

Would be curious to know what it is, and see if the calculations can become better to equalize all players.

Last edited by sprague; 04-16-2015 at 10:16 AM.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
sprague
All Star Starter

Has anyone else noticed this or just me ?
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote