Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #21
sprague
All Star Starter

The numbers I gave you (keeping the 43000 in place for hits) puts your league around mlb 2009 numbers so to speak. If you wish to tweek it further you could subtract 500 hits, maybe 100-200 home runs and add perhaps 1000 strikeouts. But try out my suggestion first and see just how close you get

Good luck
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #22
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
The numbers I gave you (keeping the 43000 in place for hits) puts your league around mlb 2009 numbers so to speak. If you wish to tweek it further you could subtract 500 hits, maybe 100-200 home runs and add perhaps 1000 strikeouts. But try out my suggestion first and see just how close you get

Good luck
I don't think comparing to 2009 MLB will be good. My league will only be 24 teams. Not the 30 teams like MLB has. Like the NL had just under 2500 homers, where as in my game the most either league had was 1994. So I don't think I will get close to 2009 MLB numbers.
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #23
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

I am attempting to attach the spreadsheet I created, which is based on (and uses many aspects of) RchW's prior work.

It's designed for use with one league, but there's no reason you couldn't save a copy for each of your minor leagues, too.

There is a lot of stuff there. One of the worksheets included has instructions, but to simplify, all you need to do is the following:

1. Before beginning, go to the Desired Totals spreadsheet (one of the tabs on the bottom). Enter the numbers you want in all cells that are not shaded red. Leave the red shades cells alone. You need to enter the batting, fielding, and pitching totals you want, but you only need to do this once (unless you want to change the statistical environment of the league, of course.) I called it Desired Totals because your desired totals might not be based on a real life year, but if you're basing your numbers on a real MLB season, this is where all of those numbers go. All of the numbers are available at baseball-reference with the possible exception of total league passed balls (I couldn't find that one.)

2. After entering the Desired Totals, go back to the Main Worksheet. Like I said, there's a bunch of stuff all over the place on the sheet, and the setup of the spreadsheet is less than elegant to say the least, but as a general rule, you don't have to do anything (and shouldn't do anything) with any cell shaded red. The only places you need to input data are:

A. As instructed on the sheet, copy and paste your batting stats, pitching stats, and fielding stats into the relevant areas. You get these by doing a CSV Dump (go to the database tab, data base tools drop down (top right), and click export data to CSV files (fourth up from the bottom). This will put your files in (under normal installations) Documents/Out of the Park Developments/OOTP Baseball 16/saved_games/your saved game name/import_export//csv

The three files you need are league_history_batting_stats, league_history_pitching_stats, and league_history_fielding stats. Just copy and paste the two rows closest to the top that start with your most recent season (or one, if you only have one subleague) into the sheet.

B. Go to the second to last item of the sheet, where it asks you to input your current modifiers. Input the modifiers you are currently using from your Stats and AI tab.

3. Your suggested modifiers will automatically display in the box on the bottom of the main sheet. Ask OOTP to calculate its own modifiers. Compare to the suggested ones on the sheet. If there is a major divergence on any of them, compare your season results to the expected season results in the variation charts and see which you think is best, or split the difference. If they're close (and in my experience they generally tend to be as long as you run the autocalc right before the season), just go with what the game suggests.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Modifier Sheet.zip (20.8 KB, 149 views)
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #24
RchW
Hall Of Famer

No criticism intended but I'm not a big fan of playing with the league totals at all. My suggestion is to pick a set of league totals whether it be 2006 or 2009 and use them intact. Then if you want to modify the output use the modifiers to achieve it.

I say this because there is a relationship between the numbers as well as the numbers themselves. This is best represented by a set. The set is founded on AB.

For example reducing hits by 500 actually creates more hits if no modification is made. If you were to enter 4000 HR in place of 5000 HR without adjusting modifiers, HR in game would go up 20% approx. However if you want 4000 HR in a league that normally produces 5000 HR you should set the modifier to 0.800 if it was 1.000 to start. If the modifier was 1.200 then it should be 1.200 X 0.800 = 0.9600. This may seem confusing but it is the reason Markus incorporated LTM several versions ago.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #25
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

I'll just hit auto-calc.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #26
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
I am attempting to attach the spreadsheet I created, which is based on (and uses many aspects of) RchW's prior work.

It's designed for use with one league, but there's no reason you couldn't save a copy for each of your minor leagues, too.

There is a lot of stuff there. One of the worksheets included has instructions, but to simplify, all you need to do is the following:

1. Before beginning, go to the Desired Totals spreadsheet (one of the tabs on the bottom). Enter the numbers you want in all cells that are not shaded red. Leave the red shades cells alone. You need to enter the batting, fielding, and pitching totals you want, but you only need to do this once (unless you want to change the statistical environment of the league, of course.) I called it Desired Totals because your desired totals might not be based on a real life year, but if you're basing your numbers on a real MLB season, this is where all of those numbers go. All of the numbers are available at baseball-reference with the possible exception of total league passed balls (I couldn't find that one.)

2. After entering the Desired Totals, go back to the Main Worksheet. Like I said, there's a bunch of stuff all over the place on the sheet, and the setup of the spreadsheet is less than elegant to say the least, but as a general rule, you don't have to do anything (and shouldn't do anything) with any cell shaded red. The only places you need to input data are:

A. As instructed on the sheet, copy and paste your batting stats, pitching stats, and fielding stats into the relevant areas. You get these by doing a CSV Dump (go to the database tab, data base tools drop down (top right), and click export data to CSV files (fourth up from the bottom). This will put your files in (under normal installations) Documents/Out of the Park Developments/OOTP Baseball 16/saved_games/your saved game name/import_export//csv

The three files you need are league_history_batting_stats, league_history_pitching_stats, and league_history_fielding stats. Just copy and paste the two rows closest to the top that start with your most recent season (or one, if you only have one subleague) into the sheet.

B. Go to the second to last item of the sheet, where it asks you to input your current modifiers. Input the modifiers you are currently using from your Stats and AI tab.

3. Your suggested modifiers will automatically display in the box on the bottom of the main sheet. Ask OOTP to calculate its own modifiers. Compare to the suggested ones on the sheet. If there is a major divergence on any of them, compare your season results to the expected season results in the variation charts and see which you think is best, or split the difference. If they're close (and in my experience they generally tend to be as long as you run the autocalc right before the season), just go with what the game suggests.
This is nice work; much less complex than mine.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #27
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Here is what I have come up with....

Name:  LTM3.png
Views: 641
Size:  148.5 KB
Old 04-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #28
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
No criticism intended but I'm not a big fan of playing with the league totals at all. My suggestion is to pick a set of league totals whether it be 2006 or 2009 and use them intact. Then if you want to modify the output use the modifiers to achieve it.

I say this because there is a relationship between the numbers as well as the numbers themselves. This is best represented by a set. The set is founded on AB.

For example reducing hits by 500 actually creates more hits if no modification is made. If you were to enter 4000 HR in place of 5000 HR without adjusting modifiers, HR in game would go up 20% approx. However if you want 4000 HR in a league that normally produces 5000 HR you should set the modifier to 0.800 if it was 1.000 to start. If the modifier was 1.200 then it should be 1.200 X 0.800 = 0.9600. This may seem confusing but it is the reason Markus incorporated LTM several versions ago.
I agree, and probably should have made that clear. I just wanted to say that's an option. From everything I've read and heard, you don't want to play with those unless you really know what you're doing, though. The LTMs are much more intuitive.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #29
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klew1986 View Post
Here is what I have come up with....

Attachment 394696
Looks good and it gives you some info about your league. You have some serious power hitters in it when you see the 0.700 modifier. Pitchers with good control are at a premium too.

RichW

Old 04-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #30
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

After all this, I noticed there is an absurd amount of pitchers with just 2 pitches that are SPs. Hardly any 3-pitch pitchers in my game. Kind of ruins the game. So might just scrap this whole fictional idea.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #31
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
After all this, I noticed there is an absurd amount of pitchers with just 2 pitches that are SPs. Hardly any 3-pitch pitchers in my game. Kind of ruins the game. So might just scrap this whole fictional idea.
That's very odd. I can't find any two pitch SPs in my fictional.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #32
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
That's very odd. I can't find any two pitch SPs in my fictional.
Yeah, their must be some issue there. Two pitch SP are exceedingly rare. I mostly play fictional.

RichW

Old 04-14-2015, 11:38 PM   #33
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. Maybe fictional isn't the way to go for me. Ugh.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:36 AM   #34
sprague
All Star Starter

Hey klew i agree in my fictionals 2 pitch starters are rare.

Maybe save it as a template so you can re start it.
Then just sim ahead 5 years. See if the league numbers look good. See if the 2 pitch starters become rare. If so dive in and play. If not either call up the template to start over or just create a new game.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #35
vindicator
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post

I'm going to slightly piggyback off this thread as a question of mine may have been answered.

I have a fictional league that i manually adjust the LTM's of every year to create a bit of statistical variety. I wasn't positive if that was the right or if i should be changing the league totals instead, but based off what you said here RchW i believe I'm doing it correctly. Is this true?
vindicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #36
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Back to testing. So far, I have a lot of HRs being hit and high ERAs. Ugh.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #37
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicator View Post
I'm going to slightly piggyback off this thread as a question of mine may have been answered.

I have a fictional league that i manually adjust the LTM's of every year to create a bit of statistical variety. I wasn't positive if that was the right or if i should be changing the league totals instead, but based off what you said here RchW i believe I'm doing it correctly. Is this true?
Yes, in my opinion. Manipulating the modifiers allows for statistical variances. Keep in mind that the league totals are interrelated and beware of unintended consequences. For example insufficient DP will lead to increased run scoring which will affect pitcher ERA. Resist the temptation to alter pitching modifiers to counteract increased ERA.

Bottom line is that maintaining a stable set of league totals provides you with a baseline stat environment.

RichW

Old 10-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #38
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

I'm back to re-examining league total modifiers for my league. I found the league and imported it into ootp16
Old 10-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #39
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm back to re-examining league total modifiers for my league. I found the league and imported it into ootp16
EDIT: i took a peak at the attached spreadsheet. no offense to the time, effort and willingness to share the work, but you should look for my spreadsheet in forums, if you are making use of one. it's scaleable and saves you all the copy/paste steps. you can't make good decisions regarding LTMs without a significant amount of data. one year won't do it.

a big hint:
try to fit the league to a avg/obp/slug and ERA baseline that you target.

the resulting averages of various stats related to LTM should be close to your targets, but don't get tunnel vision if they are a bit off. e.g. if you wanted 4500hr/year and after 200 years the average was within 50hr, no big deal if everything else looks awesome.

i say this because changing one LTM can have ramifications on other(s), and you will have to adjust potentially many other LTM to get back to the avg/obp/slug and era you already acheived, but decided 50 too few hr was an easy fix... you will realize later that was small potatoes in a ~30team leauge relative to the work to correct it, LoL.

misc info:

make sure you use at least 100 years of data when changing LTMs. even 150-200 is a better idea. some stats do normalize before others, but better safe than sorry. let it run overnight. if during that time you can sim more than 100yrs before you get to it again, do so. more is better. extra years will not hurt you, especially if you are sleeping or at work during that time period anyway.

when you use 20-50yrs the averages likely won't be accurate enough to use with confidence.

e.g. if in 30 years you had a 5-10 year period of exceedingly talented players in your league without an equally polar 5-10years of less talent, this might result in you lowering the LTMs more than you intended. the sample isn't large enough to account for the effects of league turnover.

keep a history of suggestions from whatever spreadsheet you are using and a history of used LTM and the resulting long-term sim averages for the related statistic.

you'll find that even if you change 1 LTM +/-.001 and nothing else, it may not be in perfect scale as the math suggests. e.g. i found a point where .001 to the K's LTM added 20+X more than .001/<original LTM>. instead of getting an extra 30some strikeouts, i got ~600-800 more. the memory is faded, but the scale is close enough. in addition to league settings/structure etc... if you change something like Hits LTM, this point i describe will shift, so i can't tell you where that line exists for Strikeout LTM at any particular time and setting. just know it can happen and choose to live with the significant increase/decrease or revert to the previous LTM setting. anyway, a history of what was suggested and what you used helps you notice these things.

taking an average of them isn't necesarily the best use, either... e.g. averaging sets of LTM that have different Hits LTM values is not going to work out well. what it helps with is seeing where various proverbial "cliffs" are as you change as little as .001 for a particular LTM.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-23-2015 at 07:58 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #40
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
a big hint:
try to fit the league to a avg/obp/slug and ERA baseline that you target.

the resulting averages of various stats related to LTM should be close to your targets, but don't get tunnel vision if they are a bit off. e.g. if you wanted 4500hr/year and after 200 years the average was within 50hr, no big deal if everything else looks awesome.

i say this because changing one LTM can have ramifications on other(s), and you will have to adjust potentially many other LTM to get back to the avg/obp/slug and era you already acheived, but decided 50 too few hr was an easy fix... you will realize later that was small potatoes in a ~30team leauge relative to the work to correct it, LoL.

misc info:

make sure you use at least 100 years of data when changing LTMs. even 150-200 is a better idea. some stats do normalize before others, but better safe than sorry. let it run overnight.

when you use 20-50yrs the averages likely won't be accurate enough to use with confidence.

e.g. if in 30 years you had a 5-10 year period of exceedingly talented players in your league without an equally polar 5-10years of less talent, this might result in you lowering the LTMs more than you intended. the sample isn't large enough to account for the effects of league turnover.

keep a history of suggestions from whatever spreadsheet you are using and a history of used LTM and the resulting long-term sim averages for the related statistic.

you'll find that even if you change 1 LTM +/-.001 and nothing else, it may not be in perfect scale as the math suggests. e.g. i found a point where .001 to the K's LTM added 20+X more than .001/<original LTM>. instead of getting an extra 30some strikeouts, i got ~600-800 more. the memory is faded, but the scale is close enough. in addition to league settings/structure etc... if you change something like Hits LTM, this point i describe will shift, so i can't tell you where that line exists for Strikeout LTM at any particular time and setting. just know it can happen and choose to live with the significant increase/decrease or revert to the previous LTM setting. anyway, a history of what was suggested and what you used helps you notice these things.

taking an average of them isn't necesarily the best use, either... e.g. averaging sets of LTM that have different Hits LTM values is not going to work out well. what it helps with is seeing where various proverbial "cliffs" are as you change as little as .001 for a particular LTM.
If I upload file, would you take a look at it? I'm not the best at figuring this stuff out.