Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #81
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
So what did you think I was doing?

You know that no player will bunt unless you say so. That's why it was obvious IMO.
I think you were ignoring the context of the statement is what you were doing. If some people in this thread are going to answer my concerns about bunting in weird spots by claiming "maybe it is the batter making the decision himself", shouldn't I answer that with a logical counter argument like I did? I guess some would assume they were being trolled since "it is so obvious the game doesn't do that" but like I said, I tend to take people at face value so countered his possible explanation.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #82
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I think you were ignoring the context of the statement is what you were doing.
I already said that in post 78. Being obtuse is not necessary or worthwhile here. A simple joke; laugh or not and move on.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #83
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I already said that in post 78. Being obtuse is not necessary or worthwhile here. A simple joke; laugh or not and move on.
Sorry. Didn't know you were making a joke. Like I said, I tend to assume posts are sincere.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #84
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Playing as GM/Manager, in game strategy set to the preset "sabermetric".
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 05-10-2015, 04:14 AM   #85
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Playing as GM/Manager, in game strategy set to "sabermetric".
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 05-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #86
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I disagree with the "limited sample size" argument. I am a pro poker player. I am probably more in tune with sample sizes and volume and things of that nature than most on these boards. It doesn't take much of a sample size to see a problem if the problem is something that should happen zero times. It would be like me complaining to you about "sample size" after you saw an online site deal out two aces of spades.
I am also a professional poker player...poker is very difficult to apply here. Your knowledge of probability theory, standard deviation and variance should give you pause here.

I've seen things that literally SHOULD never happen, but they do once you are a few million hands into your career.

You should also know from poker that if you show me one hand history, I am not going to say it is a trend.

Incomplete information.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #87
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Playing as GM/Manager, in game strategy set to "sabermetric".
He missed. Big deal. What is to say he isn't bunting for a hit?
Old 05-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #88
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
I am also a professional poker player...poker is very difficult to apply here. Your knowledge of probability theory, standard deviation and variance should give you pause here.

I've seen things that literally SHOULD never happen, but they do once you are a few million hands into your career.

You should also know from poker that if you show me one hand history, I am not going to say it is a trend.

Incomplete information.
Some things don't need to be a trend to be a problem. Show me one hand history where two aces of spades hit the board and I'll claim there is a problem with no large sample size needed.

Quote:
He missed. Big deal. What is to say he isn't bunting for a hit?
Since when is a guy with his bunting ratings and speed ratings trying to bunt for a hit?

Last edited by Dyzalot; 05-10-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #89
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some things don't need to be a trend to be a problem. Show me one hand history where two aces of spades hit the board and I'll claim there is a problem with no large sample size needed.
OK, if you want to talk in terms of impossibilities, I'm done here.

Quote:
Since when is a guy with his bunting ratings and speed ratings trying to bunt for a hit?
Papi's bunt single | MLB.com
jaysdailydose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #90
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
OK, if you want to talk in terms of impossibilities, I'm done here.

Papi's bunt single | MLB.com
Who said anything about "impossible"? You've never seen a spoiled deck? And remember too that it is apparently the manager making these calls to bunt, not the player seeing the defense not being ready for a bunt and trying one.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #91
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who said anything about "impossible"? You've never seen a spoiled deck? And remember too that it is apparently the manager making these calls to bunt, not the player seeing the defense not being ready for a bunt and trying one.
I've never seen a spoiled deck in a hand history, no.

You ask me when a player of his ratings would ever bunt for a hit, and I show you a video of David Ortiz bunting for a hit with a three-run lead leading off an inning... and you pretty much ignore it.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #92
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
I've never seen a spoiled deck in a hand history, no.

You ask me when a player of his ratings would ever bunt for a hit, and I show you a video of David Ortiz bunting for a hit with a three-run lead leading off an inning... and you pretty much ignore it.
I didn't ignore it. Look at the body of work in this thread. This is over a sample of about 75 to 100 observed games. You cherry picked one example, speaking of sample size. Sac bunting with three run leads. Sac bunting when down by three. Sac bunting with good hitters in RBI spots. All with global bunting set to "rarely" and the in game manager set to "sabermetric" which has sac bunting at its lowest setting.

This exchange took place on page one of the thread.

Quote:
Quote:
Nobody has any insight on this? It used to be one of my big pet peeves with the game, how the AI would sac bunt sometimes with the #3 hitter in a game in which it trailed by 2 or 3 runs. Now the AI lets the pitchers hit in sac situations under the same settings.

Never saw the bold in any version of the game I played.

This is why limited observations without context are dangerous territory. You just can't give them so much credibility.

RichW

Last edited by Dyzalot; 05-10-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #93
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Yet the exact situation you just mentioned in this thread I immediately showed you an example of happening in real baseball.

"When would a guy of his ratings ever bunt for a hit here"... instant example. You think I can't find a ton more over the course of MLB history? You're the one that said "when would this ever happen?"

Oh, right here.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #94
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yet the exact situation you just mentioned in this thread I immediately showed you an example of happening in real baseball.

"When would a guy of his ratings ever bunt for a hit here"... instant example. You think I can't find a ton more over the course of MLB history? You're the one that said "when would this ever happen?"

Oh, right here.
OK how about this. When would a sabermetric manager ever call for a bunt in that spot? Because that is the real question you need to answer since in OOTP the players don't make their own decisions of when to bunt.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #95
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK how about this. When would a sabermetric manager ever call for a bunt in that spot? Because that is the real question you need to answer since in OOTP the players don't make their own decisions of when to bunt.
Just because they are setting their lineup using the "Sabermetric" setting does not make them manage sabermetrically. Read the manual before you use settings that you don't know what they do is all I can say.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #96
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Sabermetric (Splits-Favored): The AI will choose lineups based on sabermetric theory, which uses exclusively L/R split data to make decisions.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #97
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Just because they are setting their lineup using the "Sabermetric" setting does not make them manage sabermetrically. Read the manual before you use settings that you don't know what they do is all I can say.
Who is "they"? I'm the manager. There is no "they".
Old 05-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #98
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

The ai? Obviously you didn't call the play yourself and then bitch about it...
Old 05-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #99
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Sabermetric (Splits-Favored): The AI will choose lineups based on sabermetric theory, which uses exclusively L/R split data to make decisions.
I'm not talking about the lineup. I'm talking about the presets for the in game strategy settings.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #100
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not talking about the lineup. I'm talking about the presets for the in game strategy settings.
Are there many of these Sabermetric managers around?

A Sabermetric manager would call for a bunt in that spot if he thought the chance for reaching base was higher because of a third baseman playing back, a shift, lots of possible reasons.

Remember, I'm not here to say you may not have a point. I'm asking you to provide more data. One "suspicious" bunt is not going to surprise anyone familiar with Ned Yost or Jim Leyland.

I don't know why you would alter in-game strategy for the other side anyway, when the defaults for MLB and the managers themselves would provide the variety (and the results you want.)

Regardless, there are essentially zero managers around to emulate in the history of the game that would manage how a true Saber guy would... so in essence, you are asking it to simulate something that isn't done in MLB...so you might get some weird results. I don't know, I have never touched that stuff in any version and have always gotten great results.