Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Are there any improvements to the feeder system?

I do not particularly care for the way feeder leagues run now. I don't like how they are tied to age, rather than eligibility. I don't like how players will become FA if they go un-drafted even though they should have one more year of ineligibility. I have to set it up so that they only become eligible when they turn 22.

So in summary, there should be a years of eligibility rather than age. Players should not become FA if they go un-drafted with eligibility left.

More suggestions:
1. Have more HS players that go un-drafted actually go to the college feeder, rather than become FA
2. Be able to select how many "additional players" I want and what type(HS or College)

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

+1

5th biggest weakness in OOTP.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
+1

5th biggest weakness in OOTP.
What are the top 4 in your opinion? I don't play fictional so this is not on my list.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #4
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I don't want to derail the thread talking about my top 4 because this is a really good topic. I truly would love to see feeders overhauled someday.

What I don't like about feeders the most is how all of your players will be from the same schools. There just isn't any variety. Secondly, they are a huge resource hog for very little gain. I hardly ever use feeders.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 AM   #5
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
I don't want to derail the thread talking about my top 4 because this is a really good topic. I truly would love to see feeders overhauled someday.

What I don't like about feeders the most is how all of your players will be from the same schools. There just isn't any variety. Secondly, they are a huge resource hog for very little gain. I hardly ever use feeders.
I never use feeders personally either, I don't see the point. It slows the game down, you can only have a limited number of leagues / teams unless you want your computer to explode etc.

To make it close to real life we'd have to simulate thousands of teams / leagues properly, and this would produce data which most PCs simply cannot handle.

So, in a nutshell, feeders have not been worked on in OOTP 16 and I have no plans to spend significant time on that future unless every PC has 16 GB of RAM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #6
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I never use feeders personally either, I don't see the point. It slows the game down, you can only have a limited number of leagues / teams unless you want your computer to explode etc.

To make it close to real life we'd have to simulate thousands of teams / leagues properly, and this would produce data which most PCs simply cannot handle.

So, in a nutshell, feeders have not been worked on in OOTP 16 and I have no plans to spend significant time on that future unless every PC has 16 GB of RAM.
boo lol I would settle for some improvements to the generated draft picks.

The only reason I use feeders is to have some history behind the players that I draft. I don't particularly care for feeders, it’s just for history. What I would like to see is:

-For game generated amateurs, is there a better way to show what school the player went to? It just shows up as COL or HS in the player stats. Is it possible to show the school?

-In the amateur draft. Can you add a line for where the player went to school? I’m talking about the box that shows the previous pick in the bottom right. Currently it shows the school if he comes from a feeder, but it show the ML team that picks him if it’s a game generated amateur. I’d suggest having 3 lines there. The top is the team drafting him. The second line is his school. The third line would be the player.

-Instead of a draft list being created right before the draft with only draft eligible players, there could be a list of all amateurs. The idea is that players can be added to the amateur list at 15 or 18 and will develop and gain stats each year. Similar to the way players develop in the Int Complex, but they would get stats each year. I also don’t know how stats are generated but I assume it’s based off their ratings, rather than a sim.

-If the above is not realistic, I’d settle for just 4 years of stats being generated at creation.

-Any other history added would be a big plus. Awards, championships, even injuries.

Improvements to the generated amateurs would eliminate the need for feeders all together and create a more realistic experience for us all. I appreciate the time you took to read this. It’s very encouraging to me as a consumer to know that our questions, comments, and suggestions are heard and acknowledged from the developer himself. It’s a big reason why I recommend OOTP to everyone I know looking for a baseball game and why I will continue to buy for years.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

Last edited by jpeters1734; 02-10-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

I'd like to 2nd JPeters. I turn off ratings and play stats only. That makes feeders a necessity since the generated stats for the created draft pool give no indication on the quality of the player. In fact I think they might be random.

I understand the reasons for not devoting time to feeders because beyond providing a fleshed out draft pool they are not good for much and they are a resource hog. If the generated draft pool included some more history as in stats over 3-4 seasons along with notations of awards/championshops won it would help make feeders something we could do without.

One question. Do the pregernerated stats have anything to do with the abilities of the player, or are they random?
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

I think they are a projection based off potential ratings and modified by the competition level, but markus would have to confirm.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Actually Marcus if you could answer two questions about the pre-generated draft pool stats I'd appreciate it. I know this isn't the proper forum for that but since it came up:

1) Is what JPetes said accurate? Are the draft pool stats based on player ability modified by competition level?

2) Are they assumed to be career stats or just the last season prior to the draft?

If they answer to #1 is yes and #2 is career I'm done with feeders!

Thanks!
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #10
TomVeal
All Star Starter

In OOTP 16, I'm thinking of eschewing the college and high school feeders and instead setting up independent leagues that will feed into the Major League draft pool. That will be more interesting, I think, than the default feeders and will furnish an ample supply of statistics. I wonder, though, what league reputation or other settings will best generate players with high potential ratings.

Let me add that I like jpeters1734's idea of a list of promising amateurs for whom stats would be generated each year until they enter the draft pool, without the processing burden of feeder league games.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #11
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post

I completely understand. Personally, as much as I would like to see them overhauled, I think the game works just fine without them. The only thing that I would think that would be helpful is a calculation of the high school/college averages. Or where the player's stats fall in relation to the league average.

For instance, player XXX HR totals was ranked in the top 12% of his competition.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Are there any improvements to the feeder system?

I dont use feeders, but thats mainly due to the problems presented in this thread. I personally would love a feeder system like EHM or what BTS are going for. Something that runs in the background but has stats and results in some cases.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 02-10-2015 at 07:11 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #13
xydra
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yeah, I like Feeders for the Stats.
xydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #14
Caporegime
All Star Starter

I used to use feeders to try and simulate the academy system in the DR and Venezuela. The international scouting/complex/free agent feature made that redundant and is a much more realistic handling of how international amateurs are developed by MLB teams. Haven't used feeders since. They tended to clog the arteries of every game I played if I created too many of them.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #15
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I dont use feeders, but thats mainly due to the problems presented in this thread. I personally would love a feeder system like EHM or what BTS are going for. Something that runs in the background but has stats and results in some cases.
That would be fine, but I do like the idea of being able to run a college league properly if I want to.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #16
Kobeck
Major Leagues

totally agree. Markus put it in the game (yeah Markus!) so lets get it right
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #17
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
That would be fine, but I do like the idea of being able to run a college league properly if I want to.

Me too of course but it has to be done properly like you said, recruiting and other college specific things have to be done right.

Sometimes it just better to dedicate a separate game for such idea.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:29 AM   #18
Kobeck
Major Leagues

agreed currently lots of compromises have to be made to 'fit' high school and college into OOTP world

still better than not having that option IMO
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #19
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

As a guy who has a league of 3 major leagues 5 college leagues 5 HS and 1 Independent league I can understand that it is a hog big time so much so that at one point I had to turn off face gen and save everyday in OOTP 14 because my game was crashing. I used to have 7 of each I have been weeding out thos leagues and with what Markaus just said I think I will only keep 2 around of each going forward but if some tiny thing could be done like JPeters said in the first post that would be wonderful.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #20
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
-If the above is not realistic, I’d settle for just 4 years of stats being generated at creation.
This. This would be very nice.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote