Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Do you DH?
Traditional with no DH? 65 45.77%
DH in half or more but not all your leagues? 40 28.17%
My batters like to DH all the time! 27 19.01%
You are just a crazy Mets fan! 10 7.04%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #21
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Baseball is a much better game with the DH, but in my dynasty, even though the "substitute batsman" has been discussed, it has yet to be implemented.
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #22
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

I don't like the DH particularly, so I don't use it. I play my games out and it makes me think about substitutions a bit more.

I also keep meaning to write a semi-humorous, fictional transcript of a rules committee meeting for one of my leagues discussing the DH.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #23
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Funny, I'm a fan of the DH in real life, but often play OOTP without it. Forces me to pinch hit and use my entire pitching staff. Otherwise, I sometimes find myself simply pressing #1 over and over and over.
I like the DH also IRL but also prefer not to have it in OOTP. I like to double switch often. In leagues were I use the DH like my MLB vs EBL & Top 25 League it has gotten boring. it's cool seeing Babe Ruth with close to 100 HR as a SP and Walter Johnson with 191 career HR in my ABF league.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #24
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

. nm

Last edited by David Watts; 01-28-2015 at 05:43 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #25
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

Never implemented the DH in either the Fictional or Historical ... create more challenges ...
Old 01-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #26
Trebro
All Star Reserve

True story:

Even though I've grown to hate the DH as I got older, I once used it in an argument with my father.

Dad: "If you want to play baseball, son, you're going to need to learn how to play a position.
Me (age 6): "No Dad, I'm just going to be the designated hitter!"
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #27
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Pinch hitting is a dying art due to the DH

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #28
Dr.Bubs
Bat Boy

In OOTPB, it depends on how I play the league. If it's a league where I manage most of the games, I leave the DH off. If I sim most of the games, I turn the DH on.

IRL, while I don't want to DH in the NL, I also don't want the removal of the DH from the AL. The AL and NL are already more like seperate conferences then seperate leagues now, and it would be nice if there was at least one thing that distinguishes themselves from one another.

Favorite players as a kid: Shawn Greene, Paul Lo Duca, Hee-Seop Choi, and Eric Gagne

Also a big fan of Homestar Runner, as you can see by my 'tar.
Dr.Bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #29
swoboda
All Star Starter

I never use a DH. I play out all 162 I actively manage one team and I never use a DH

NEVER .

long live the National League !

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #30
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I'm ambivalent. I thought saying I go both ways might get misinterpreted.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #31
Trebro
All Star Reserve

I've seen a few folks mention this "that's what makes them different" remark now.

Pardon my potential missing out on something, but except for the 14 vs 12 years and a longer season for a year or two, what really made them that different other than the DH? I thought by the time MLB formed the 16-team lock down in the early 1900s they were standard on all the rules.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #32
Mortimer
Minors (Double A)

I've lived in an American league city all my life, so I am very used to the DH...but I'd much rather it never existed. It doesn't help that my home team manger just locks a player in DH and leaves him to die...at least any fielding ability he might have.

And I do think the American league is at a big disadvantage when the play at NL parks but NL teams just rest a player and get a better defense out there when they visit. Not to mention if they went full no-DH pitchers would hit more in college, and the minors. As it is now pitchers don't hit from the time they leave high school until they get in the big leagues so they lose out on all that experiance.
Mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #33
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Funny, I'm a fan of the DH in real life, but often play OOTP without it. Forces me to pinch hit and use my entire pitching staff. Otherwise, I sometimes find myself simply pressing #1 over and over and over.
This this this.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:50 AM   #34
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
ftfy.
Dead wrong. Have you coached in both a DH and a non DH-league? I have (non-professionally) and what you posted was nonsense. DH is pure autopilot. Non-DH gets really exciting when your team is losing or tied in late innings, or even when you have a narrow lead.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:55 AM   #35
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assos View Post
I am with The Wolf, I enjoy not having the DH, but in my case I use it if I want to create that feel of more offence.
If you want marginally more offense at the expense of having fewer strategic options, then use it. It's your game, play it your way. But I will personally never be able to accept the DH as being real baseball. To me it's like letting the outfielders use nets - it's interesting and different, but it's just not real baseball.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:54 AM   #36
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebro View Post
When the next deal with the players association puts the DH in both leagues, I will die a little inside.
The MLBPA does not have the power to do that. To change the current situation regarding the DH rule would require a three-quarters majority vote of all MLB clubs—this is mandated by the Major League Constitution. That requirement can't be changed unless the constitution itself is amended (such amending would itself require a three-quarters majority vote).

Seeing as there are 15 clubs in each league, and a three-quarters majority would require 23 votes, I'd be interested to know which 8 NL clubs folks figure would switch sides on the DH question.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:59 AM   #37
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebro View Post
Pardon my potential missing out on something, but except for the 14 vs 12 years and a longer season for a year or two, what really made them that different other than the DH? I thought by the time MLB formed the 16-team lock down in the early 1900s they were standard on all the rules.
There were more differences between the leagues in those earlier years. The active roster limit was sometimes different; waivers rules were different in each league at times; for a number of years the two leagues had different rules on tie-breaking playoffs. There were also small differences at times in how each league handled when lights could be turned on in a ballpark.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #38
TomVeal
All Star Starter

I await - though do not look forward to - the day when DH logic will be carried to its conclusion and, as in football, completely different sets of players will take the field for offense and defense.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #39
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
I await - though do not look forward to - the day when DH logic will be carried to its conclusion and, as in football, completely different sets of players will take the field for offense and defense.
There is no logic suggesting that even remotely. If so we would still have courtesy runners.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #40
Assos
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
There is no logic suggesting that even remotely. If so we would still have courtesy runners.
There is only one man who is THE courtesy runner!
Herb Washington Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

He is like the Highlander, in the end, there can only be one! So no more talk of this silly courtesy runner.
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote