Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - Public Beta Test
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
OptimusRiem
Bat Boy

White screen of death

I bought the game yesterday...worked perfectly fine all day. Today I went to start up the game and just got a white screen and nothing happened. I tried uninstalling the game several times with no luck. Any ideas what may be causing this?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

We've had a handful of reports like this and Sebastian's still trying to figure out what's going wrong.

The thing that's worked for one person so far is uninstalling, then afterer finishing the uninstall, check both the \Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 and \Program Files (x86)\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 directories and verify that there's nothing there - if there are any files/directories remaining, delete them. Then reinstall.

If that doesn't work, go to your \Documents\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 2014\data directory, open the crash_report.txt file, and we'll see what that tells us. It would also be useful to know your desktop resolution, and what resolution you were previously playing in (if it was windowed and not fullscreen.)
Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
OptimusRiem
Bat Boy

Yesterday I was playing in a windowed version and that was working fine...today it changed to the full screen version and that wont work. Do you know how I can get it back to the windowed version and see if that fixes it?
Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusRiem View Post
Yesterday I was playing in a windowed version and that was working fine...today it changed to the full screen version and that wont work. Do you know how I can get it back to the windowed version and see if that fixes it?
Without being able to get into the preferences menu, no. Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling? That'll get you back to the default windowed version.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
OptimusRiem
Bat Boy

Tried uninstalling it and re-installing it multiple times with no success
Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusRiem View Post
Tried uninstalling it and re-installing it multiple times with no success
Is it staying fullscreen even after you uninstall and reinstall?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
StateofConfusion
Bat Boy

I tried the reinstall... didn't work. Tried to over write file. Didn't work. Tried unstall reinstall didn't work. I tried it onto an external hard drive... and empty one... didn't work

crash file:

eSellerate - exit with code eWeb_InstallEngineFromResource returned 0x20010000 (SDK_LATEST_ENGINE_ALREADY_INSTALLED)
Successfully run ESELLERATE_eSellerInstall
eSellerate - exit with code eWeb_ValidateActivation returned 0x20050001 (VALIDATEACTIVATION_MACHINE_MATCH)
Old 04-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
OpusTheFowl
Minors (Double A)

You probably need to run a registry cleaner after the uninstall step to totally wipe any settings that were left. I use Glarysoft, CCleaner and AML...and yes, I run all three.

I am sure others can be recommended too...
Old 04-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

We think we've discovered the source of the problem: apparently the settings.dat file, which controls things like the resolution and window/fullscreen choice, is getting corrupted somehow. When that happens, you'll get stuck with the white screen when trying to start.

So, if anyone else runs into this issue, go to your \Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\Out of the Park Developments\Franchise Hockey Manager 2014\config directory and delete settings.dat. This will force the game to build a new, valid version of it (with the default settings) the next time you start it.

However, we're not sure exactly why the corruption is happening in the first place. So, if you do have this problem, before deleting settings.dat, please zip up a copy of it and post it in this thread so we can take a look at it - and, hopefully, figure out just what's going wrong.

Last edited by JeffR; 04-11-2013 at 04:16 PM.