Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary

Old 07-17-2006, 11:56 PM   #101
AllTheBest
Banned

I haven't noticed any errors in the PBP so far with 1.0.2.

Great job guys!
AllTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #102
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

here's the pitch. . .
here's a swing. . .
hammered. . .
towards the gap in right field . . .
Bowling calls for it. . .
Bowling leaps . . .
and he . . .
can't get it!
HOME RUN Dunn!
that shot was measured at 453 feet
Adam Dunn Belts a solo home run!
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #103
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo
here's the pitch. . .
here's a swing. . .
hammered. . .
towards the gap in right field . . .
Bowling calls for it. . .
Bowling leaps . . .
and he . . .
can't get it!
HOME RUN Dunn!
that shot was measured at 453 feet
Adam Dunn Belts a solo home run!
Rgoo, what are you getting at here? I see some problems with this PbP sequence, but I'd like to find out what your issues are.
M's rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:49 AM   #104
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Why is the LF calling and jumping for a 453 foot HR?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #105
Cornelius McGillicuddy
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Maybe it was the olde days and the fence was 450 feet out?
Cornelius McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:29 PM   #106
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

If the move the fences at Shea that far out, some one is going to get run over by a plane.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #107
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Okay, here’s a straight answer.

I looked up the database IDs for most of the lines in the sequence. “[NIB]” stands for Not in Database, which means either that I have deleted the line since the most recent release of the XML file, or that it’s pulled from hard-coded text. Currently in the database, the phrase “calls for it” on a play to the outfield appears only in the ROUTINE_7, ROUTINE_8, and ROUTINE_9 categories. As you might assume, none of the entries in the ROUTINE categories are subsequently linked to a home run—they’re all plays on which the batter makes an out.

Why does Bowling leap for a 453-foot home run? Because the distance of the home run isn’t determined until after the result of the play, and, as I understand it, that number is generated more or less randomly from within a range that extends from the number painted on the wall to some larger number that could (obviously) be much higher than that minimum distance.

[235-12163] towards the gap in right field . . . [the entry actually says “toward”]
[NIB] Bowling calls for it. . .
[277-7394]Bowling leaps . . .
and he . . .
can't get it!
HOME RUN Dunn! [the entry actually includes the word “for” in front of the name]
[280-10318] that shot was measured at 453 feet

I could get rid of the “leaps” problem by deleting 7394 (and 7393, which uses similar wording), but that’s a bit of a slippery slope. Should I then also delete an entry that says “this one has a chance to go all the way” and another one that says “it could be outta here”? Those messages also don’t fit with a home run that clears the fence by 50 feet or more, unless you want to imagine that the calls are being made by an announcer who has a problem with depth perception (no pun intended).
Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #108
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

I think this could be improved by having the process work in reverse next year. Let's determine if it is a HR, then the distance, then use the distance ( or type of HR, line drive, moon shoot . . .) as a call to a set of tokens for that type of HR.

Bowling's proper response for this kind of HR is to not budge, to silently admire it in awe.

I looked at my all-time leaderboard and found this Dunn's HR was #563, tying him with Reggie Jackson.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #109
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo
I think this could be improved by having the process work in reverse next year. Let's determine if it is a HR, then the distance, then use the distance ( or type of HR, line drive, moon shoot . . .) as a call to a set of tokens for that type of HR.
An excellent plan. We'd also want to be sure that the distance of the homer wasn't revealed until after the home run call was finished. That would be a departure from the order in which PbP info is currently displayed, which seems to be in strict linear sequence.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #110
Zeyes
All Star Reserve

Just encountered an odd award news message, courtesy of 38-1328:

Quote:
Mezia starred with 6 saves in 6 opportunities over no relief appearances. He logged 2 wins in 10 innings, recorded 12 Ks, issued 3 bases on balls, and compiled a 0.00 ERA.
The offending token is [%pitching ra word]...looks spelled correctly to me, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Mezia had 8 relief appearances, for what that's worth.

Edit: Another one in the same vein was just posted in Tech Support...

Last edited by Zeyes; 08-07-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Zeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #111
M's rule
All Star Reserve

I've spent some time trying to replicate this problem, but it's taking forever to get the game to display a season stat or career stat message for a relief pitcher. I have a hunch that Zeyes is on the right track with the message he posted in tech support--the "ra" value is being filled by some variable other than relief appearances.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:46 AM   #112
M's rule
All Star Reserve

Eureka!

I just came across this season stats message:

This season Wagner has earned 10 saves, logged 23 innings and 3 relief appearances . . .

Actually, he has more than 3 relief appearances (obviously), but he does have 3 holds, according to his current stats. It seems as though the "ra" variable, when encountered in a token, is holding the value for "hld" instead.

I have logged this as TT #2464.

Thanks for the sharp eyes, Corn and Zeyes.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #113
battists
Hall Of Famer

BTW, just for future reference, if you ever want to poke at a certain message, you can do this:

1. Back up your english.xml
2. Find the category with the message you want in the XML file
3. Delete all of the messages apart from the one you want to see.
4. Save and boot up OOTP

Now, it will always grab the message you want. Replace your backup when you're done testing.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:14 AM   #114
battists
Hall Of Famer

Hi everyone. If you have thoughts about changes in the in-game XML for the next major release, please post them here:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar....php?p=1826967

Thanks!
battists is offline   Reply With Quote