Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary

Old 05-31-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
FalcWP
Bat Boy

Getting a lot of strange play-by-play calls

I'm getting a lot of very odd play-by-play calls, such as:

With a fairly slow (7 out of 20) runner on second, and another guy on third: "fastball popped up... on the infield... base hit for Carl Findley... Sonoda scores on the play... Urbina takes third... around third and on his way home is Urbina... no chance to get Urbina, so Moreiras does not risk a throw... he scores." No chance to throw out a slow runner going from second, on a pop up to short?!

Another one... "A big hack by the batter... Samson is fooled... tries to check his swing..." How can you have a big hack *and* a check swing?

This one was strange for two reasons: "Davis camps under the ball... he reaches up and puts it away... two down... the runner is too far off second base... he fires the ball to second base... Crause is called out!" First, why would someone be too far off the base if the fielder could camp under the ball? And second... there was nobody named Davis (first name or last) on the field.

At another point, one player homered. Next player struck out. Third guy up homered... and the play-by-play said that they went deep back-to-back.

Here's one with an obscenely slow runner (2/20) on second, with nobody out. "Someone should be able to get to this... Samson has it in his glove... he drops it! That was a playable ball, but he couldn't come up with it. He commits his 1st error of the season at Second Base... Sells heads to third base... Sells crosses the plate." Scoring from second on a booted ball by the second baseman, when you aren't running on contact? Jose Reyes would have trouble pulling that off.

Things like this don't ruin the game or anything, but it really kills the atmosphere when completely illogical things happen in the play-by-play.

Last edited by FalcWP; 05-31-2006 at 10:30 PM.
FalcWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

The Davis thing I've been hearing about. We'll see if we can figure out why that is happening.

a couple of things about pbp. there are limitations in the way the pbp is built. the text displayed usually isn't able to take into account any specifics about the player beyond his name and the result of the play or play fragment. so as far as the "call" goes, you'd see the same description of a guy advancing on an error with 20/20 speed as 2/20 speed. the pbp doesn't know ratings.

so, is it possible for a lardass to score from second on a boot from the second baseman? possible, yes. hopefully this doesn't happen frequently, but it could happen. probably wouldn't happen on a play as described, but, remember, we've written all the pbp in advance, and the game is just trying to assign the most logical description to a particular play. you will end up with some anachranisms, unfortunately, although the text team has been (and continues to be) active in trying to eliminate as many as possible.

15 GB Webhosting for $6.95 a month

IMO we are best off abandoning that sinking ship that is Off Topic to the rats infesting it and just starting a whole new Baseball Forum from scratch.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
FalcWP
Bat Boy

Another one that is odd (and looks like more of a bug than just an annoyance) is when, while autoplaying an at-bat, a pitcher throws one pitch, which is described, and then throws another, which is a wild pitch or passed ball. This wild pitch or passed ball is not counted as a ball or strike - the runners just move up.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
FalcWP
Bat Boy

And another strange play... Guy on second tries to steal third. Catcher throws down to third and throws it away... and the play-by-play said the third baseman made his third error of the year. At Catcher. The Game Log correctly recorded it as E2. This play also featured an example of the above oddity (where the previous pitch was described, and the pitch wasn't counted), and it described the pitcher as going into the stretch, pausing, and then throwing... which sounds like its describing a balk.

And yeah, I know its a fairly limited set of possible calls in the play-by-play, but things that contradict each other or make no sense should be weeded out one way or another.

Last edited by FalcWP; 05-31-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

The ghost of Davis has been located and an exorcism has taken place.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

The play by play seems misleading to me an awful lot. I can never tell what's going to happen based on what the "announcer" is saying until the end. For instance, there are tons of times when he'll say:

"Hammered to deep center...
Jones is right there...
he'll put it away."

I always think it's a HR or at least a chance that it's a hit, since it says hammered, but I've yet to see a ball that was "hammered" be anything but an out in 10-15 games, where I usually have seen it once or more per game. Same thing with "crushed." I get those a lot, and they end up being routine flyballs.

Likewise, I'll often get things like:

"Popped to center field...
that's in for a hit."

When I see popped to center, I figure it's a routine play.

Also, with a guy on first, I'll get this one extremely often:

"Grounded to short...
routine double play ball...
tosses to second for one...
he throws to first...
here's the call....
SAFE!"

I mean, you hear real announcers say, "could be two" or "should be two" and be wrong occasionally, but usually if it's an "easy" double play ball the guy doesn't have much of a chance of beating the relay at first if they play it right. I usually get that one a few times a game.

I don't mean to put down the text team-you guys did a great job considering how difficult a job it was, and I'm not sure whether it's a matter of the game taking the wrong calls for plays or something, but the PBP has frustrated me a bit because of things like those.

Last edited by Ruthian23; 06-02-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote