Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:10 AM   #1
BKL
All Star Reserve

How To Sign AHL Players?

My AHL team (Rochester) has a few player 17 and 18 years old that have outstanding potential. When I attempt to sign them as GM of the Sabres, it says I cannot because they are not contracted to me. When I look at their contracts it says they are contracted to Rochester.

I am a little confused...since Rochester is the minor league team for the Sabres, wouldn't those players want and agree to sign an NHL contract with the Sabres? It almost seems as if the minor league team is over-ruling the NHL parent.

Any help and thoughts?
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:58 AM   #2
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

Players can be signed to AHL contracts without being signed to an NHL affiliate.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:07 AM   #3
Mitch
Bat Boy

Have patience. . You don't have the ability to sign AHL-contracted players, irregardless of them being on "your AHL team." It's because, well... they aren't "your" team.

You'll be able to draft players from Rochester or other AHL teams when draft day comes around (June 22nd). Note that any players you have under contract (Buffalo) can be sent down to the AHL, or brought back up. But, again, they have to be under Buffalo (NHL) contract.
---
More: The AHL is a separate league, with separate contracts and players. AHL teams don't "belong" to NHL teams.

Some teams in the AHL have affiliate relationships with NHL teams. In your case, Rochester is Buffalo's AHL affiliate.

In the real world, affiliates can change (Chicago Wolves were once the AHL affiliate of the St. Louis Blues, but are now the "team" of the Golden Knights).

Hope that helps.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

you can sign players to two way contracts where when they are assigned to your AHL team they make a fraction of the cost.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

I think hes means that there are draft eligible players signing AHL contracts. Not sure if that should be happening and may be a bug

He cant sign them because they are ineligible for an NHL contract since they are draft eligible.
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

...I think I may know what's going on but answer this first: Are you playing a Custom Game?
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

I thought drafted players generally aren't allowed to play in the AHL until they're 20 years old, with the exception of players drafted out of European leagues?
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 AM   #8
BKL
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
...I think I may know what's going on but answer this first: Are you playing a Custom Game?

It’s a fictional game but uses the NHL structure and rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:13 AM   #9
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKL View Post
It’s a fictional game but uses the NHL structure and rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. There's the answer then.

In the first few years of a fictional game, the database isn't very big, so when injuries occur, the 2nd Tier has to pull players from the 3rd Tier. These players rights aren't owned because they haven't been draft eligible, so that's why you can't sign them right now. They'll be in an upcoming draft though when rights are available.

As the database gets bigger, this becomes less of an issue.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote