Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #101
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Now I know you are trolling. You brought it up. See below and also see Lou Gehrig's post.

You brought 2B into the discussion.
Yes but I wasn't talking about left handed middle infielders since there aren't any. I was simply stating that a left handed third baseman running to third to straddle the bag and take a throw from the catcher isn't really any different skill wise from a right handed middle infielder doing the same thing at second base when taking a throw from the catcher.

Last edited by Dyzalot; 05-20-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #102
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
Yes but I wasn't talking about left handed middle infielders since there aren't any. I was simply stating that a left handed third baseman running to third to straddle the bag and take a throw from the catcher isn't really any different skill wise from a right handed middle infielder doing the same thing at second base when taking a throw from the catcher.
You are wrong. My post you thought was off topic explained it. Go back and read it.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #103
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
You are wrong. My post you thought was off topic explained it. Go back and read it.
I still think it is off topic.

Quote:
No you are wrong. The positions needed for LH throwers require contortions unlike what is required for RH throwers. The move for a RH 2B requires a steeper angle of approach than that of a RH 3B. That is nothing compared to what a LH 2B would have to do. The path for a RH SS going to his left is very easy. It would be somewhat easier for a LH SS but that is immaterial as a LH SS could not compete on balls hit to his right.

This entire argument is nonsense and I should probably stop feeding the troll posts. I just can't stop myself.
I have no idea what any of this has to do with the comparison between how middle infielders currently straddle second to take a throw from the catcher and how a left handed third baseman might do the same at third to take a throw from the catcher.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #104
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This entire argument is nonsense and I should probably stop feeding the troll posts. I just can't stop myself.
I'm almost sorry I even posted my observation. I didn't mean to start another argument with my post. It was just something I saw and I know had it been a right handed 3B that the play would have been closer.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #105
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm almost sorry I even posted my observation. I didn't mean to start another argument with my post. It was just something I saw and I know had it been a right handed 3B that the play would have been closer.
You should never apologize for trying to counter nonsense.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #106
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95 View Post
I'll elaborate since I'm sure the question will come up:

First, a 3B or SS charging a grounder would have to plant and pivot to make a throw. That would make them extremely ineffective (and exploitable) at covering bunts and slow rollers. They would also have to plant and pivot to make a routine throw. That could be a huge issue in bang-bang plays. While a 2B throwing lefty would be great on starting double plays, he would have to cross in front of the runner to position himself for the pivot when turning a DP.

I think a lefty catcher is far more plausible, but a left-handed 2B, SS or 3B would provide too many deficiencies to offset the few minor advantages they would offer.
Former infielder here. This is correct. It's easier and faster to make infield throws with your right hand, since your left foot is generally pointed toward the direction of your throw. A leftie has to swing at least his right foot and commonly his body and both feet around before throwing the ball, which takes time and makes him a far slower, and therefore worse, fielder than a comparable rightie. Double plays are also much, much easier if both the 2B and the SS are right-handed.

Left-handed infielders are rare not because of tradition, but because of simple efficiency: they almost always make inferior infielders.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #107
Lou Gehrig
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Former infielder here. This is correct. It's easier and faster to make infield throws with your right hand, since your left foot is generally pointed toward the direction of your throw. A leftie has to swing at least his right foot and commonly his body and both feet around before throwing the ball, which takes time and makes him a far slower, and therefore worse, fielder than a comparable rightie. Double plays are also much, much easier if both the 2B and the SS are right-handed.

Left-handed infielders are rare not because of tradition, but because of simple efficiency: they almost always make inferior infielders.
The Wolf is completely right...again.
July 4, 1939

www.alsa.org
Lou Gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #108
majesty95
All Star Starter

This is where a mod should come in to save the day and close the thread
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #109
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesty95 View Post
This is where a mod should come in to save the day and close the thread
It doesn't need to be closed if a positive discussion can be had.

Even though there is strong data to support it being a bad idea, I don't think the human manager should be denied the chance to try anything. A left-handed player could be entered into a game in real life, so the option shouldn't be restricted, and it isn't.

I definitely think there should be some fielding penalty coded in for a player attempting to play these positions -- but I'm not a developer and there absolutely could already be one.

Regardless, nothing gets changed when people act immature. I'd hope we can all act like adults to where a moderator doesn't have to take action. I don't think I've been out of order, but if anyone feels I was, please accept my sincere apology.