Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 04-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
LADodger128
Bat Boy

Quick questions about OOTP

Are you able to edit team names?
When you pick your first season with actual players is there an option to draft the teams from the actual players for that season?
LADodger128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADodger128 View Post
Are you able to edit team names?
When you pick your first season with actual players is there an option to draft the teams from the actual players for that season?
You are not able to edit team names in the game.

We had an ini-draft option in the game but we removed it as it was no fun on the small screen to draft your team. For fictional leagues we put it back in (as option) so maybe we will add it later as a free update for actual (2011) leagues.

As a side note: this is a feature that we have planed for the universal app, so people playing on an iPad (with the big screen) have the option to have a normal ini-draft.
Sebastian Palkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palli View Post

We had an ini-draft option in the game but we removed it as it was no fun on the small screen to draft your team. For fictional leagues we put it back in (as option) so maybe we will add it later as a free update for actual (2011) leagues.

As a side note: this is a feature that we have planed for the universal app, so people playing on an iPad (with the big screen) have the option to have a normal ini-draft.
Make sure your universal app includes Retina display for the iPhone 4. It's 900x768 I believe, only 100 pixels smaller than the iPad. Don't keep the iPhone 4 users limited to what the older iPhone users can do.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Marc Vaughan
Sports Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkitchens View Post
Make sure your universal app includes Retina display for the iPhone 4. It's 900x768 I believe, only 100 pixels smaller than the iPad. Don't keep the iPhone 4 users limited to what the older iPhone users can do.
The retina resolution is 960x640, that is double the resolution of the older iOS devices.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

No customization for fictional leagues?

Quote:
Does this mean that for a fictional league, the game will generate random cities and nicknames and you'll have to accept what the game gives you?

Like maybe (for example) the "Sioux City Atom Smashers"?

This would probably limit the appeal of the fictional league setup for some people, who prefer to pick cities and nicknames that are, um, plausible (on some level peculiar to the gamer's own preferences).

That said, very eagerly awaiting this game.
sfnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfnate View Post
Does this mean that for a fictional league, the game will generate random cities and nicknames and you'll have to accept what the game gives you?

Like maybe (for example) the "Sioux City Atom Smashers"?

This would probably limit the appeal of the fictional league setup for some people, who prefer to pick cities and nicknames that are, um, plausible (on some level peculiar to the gamer's own preferences).

That said, very eagerly awaiting this game.
Yes, thats the way it works. Please keep in mind, this is not OOTP 11/12 and it is our first version for the mobile platform. If we see a demand for some basic customization for fictional setups we will think about it.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Yes, thats the way it works. Please keep in mind, this is not OOTP 11/12 and it is our first version for the mobile platform. If we see a demand for some basic customization for fictional setups we will think about it.
I understand completely--while it would be great to have the ability to customize the fictional league team and city names, it's certainly nowhere near a showstopper, in my mind.

I think that for the iPad version, when that eventually appears, having a customization option available, even if it's limited to fairly basic edits (names, cities, nicknames), would be a significant and much appreciated feature.
sfnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
BrianN
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
We had an ini-draft option in the game but we removed it as it was no fun on the small screen to draft your team.
I hope this is added as an option; the only way I play, personally (drafting historical leagues). I won't mind the lack of fun.
BrianN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
klkitchens
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
The retina resolution is 960x640, that is double the resolution of the older iOS devices.
Ok... but the iPad is 1024x768, so the iPhone is closer to the iPad. I just would prefer a better resolution version to include both iPhone 4/iPad and not leave out the wide iPhone4 base.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Marc Vaughan
Sports Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkitchens View Post
Ok... but the iPad is 1024x768, so the iPhone is closer to the iPad. I just would prefer a better resolution version to include both iPhone 4/iPad and not leave out the wide iPhone4 base.
The most likely approach I'd expect would be to do a specific iPad version and then do a HD retina display one.

The reason for this is likely that on the iPad you can do an improved UI with more information upon it because of the larger screen size (not just resolution).

On the iPhone4 while the retina display is slightly 'crisper' for display, the layout can't be changed really because the actual physical screen size is still the same as an iPhone 3g/3gs ... thus restricted by your fingers size for touch input.

(just my tuppence worth and its obviously not my decision to make as I don't make the game - I fully expect in the fullness of time if all goes well Markus & Co will fully support all the iOS devices and resolutions ..)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfnate View Post
I understand completely--while it would be great to have the ability to customize the fictional league team and city names, it's certainly nowhere near a showstopper, in my mind.
It'd be even less of a problem if the game intelligently picks city and nickname combinations so that you don't wind up with bizarre divisional alignments, inappropriate city size combinations, or nicknames that are completely at odds with the city (e.g. Houston Mounties or Atlanta Avalanche).

One of the issues in regular OOTP is that the game doesn't do a particularly good job in this area. (Hopefully that process will be improved in OOTP 12.)
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
It'd be even less of a problem if the game intelligently picks city and nickname combinations so that you don't wind up with bizarre divisional alignments, inappropriate city size combinations, or nicknames that are completely at odds with the city (e.g. Houston Mounties or Atlanta Avalanche).

One of the issues in regular OOTP is that the game doesn't do a particularly good job in this area. (Hopefully that process will be improved in OOTP 12.)
Isn't it simply random currently?

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Isn't it simply random currently?
Not entirely, but it seems to work out that way in practice.

I should hasten to add that the question of generating realistic looking league setups out of the box is perhaps a relatively minor issue in regular OOTP, since the user can change anything they want afterwards, but personally I think this is one of those small issues that has a large impact on the impression new users get of the game.

It's also something that, when one starts digging into it, one realizes that there is actually a lot more involved than one might have thought, especially depending on how realistic one wants to make it. There's distribution of cities within a league in terms of distances and population sizes, affiliation club nicknames, park sizes and naming, minor league structure compared to major league, etc. Add to that the changes in those areas over the decades.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 PM   #14
HavenHunting
Minors (Double A)

With a third party editor will you be able to use pictures of all current stadiums?
HavenHunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #15
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavenHunting View Post
With a third party editor will you be able to use pictures of all current stadiums?
Sorry, not at the moment. We don't want to rule out some form of customization in future updates/versions but let's release it first and then take a look at the demand of people for new features.