Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #21
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Sorry double post.

Last edited by ukhotstove; 04-05-2020 at 02:12 PM.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:15 PM   #22
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbandits View Post
Ok, let me rephrase, there has not been an example of it happening in the US
Ahh, yes

Good old American Exceptionalism will protect us
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #23
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok, let me rephrase, there has not been an example of it happening in the US
I have never followed soccer so this was not in my quick research, but again, hasn't happened in the US as of yet. The NBA players self quarantined and recovered, hell Rudy Goebert was going to play that night when he tested positive, so obviously he was not that ill

If it can happen to a non American it can happen to an American, I dont think the virus differentiates.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #24
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
If it can happen to a non American it can happen to an American, I dont think the virus differentiates.
All I am saying is we've had quite a few NBA players get positive tests and none have been hospitalized but that still doesn't affect the Boras plan as no one would get out of quarantine with a positive test.
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #25
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

I love sports as much as the next person, regularly stay up till 4am to watch the MLB & NFL. However do I want to see someone die so 1) The owners get their TV money or 2) So I can sit on my butt for a couple of hours and be happy, when unless I have a small life I can go do something else and be happy.

Also ant there been an outcry of people stockpiling food and such but yet people want sports to do that, either that or deliver food and such everyday so heightening the chance of spreading the virus, unless their going to test and quarantine everyone in the making and distribution of food and such.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #26
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
All I am saying is we've had quite a few NBA players get positive tests and none have been hospitalized but that still doesn't affect the Boras plan as no one would get out of quarantine with a positive test.
So, you're back to wanting to waste a bunch of tests that could be used for something more important than keeping money in the hands of billionaires?
Old 04-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #27
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Baseball fans: Bor-***. He's ruining the sport by getting these greedy players more money.

Also baseball fans (when a Boras player signs a smaller than expected contract): Ha! Serves them right for listening that selfish ***

Baseball fans when Boras proposes a plan that will keep money flowing to billionaires and put players' lives at risk so they, personally, can watch games: The man is a genious.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #28
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
I love sports as much as the next person, regularly stay up till 4am to watch the MLB & NFL. However do I want to see someone die so 1) The owners get their TV money or 2) So I can sit on my butt for a couple of hours and be happy, when unless I have a small life I can go do something else and be happy.

Also ant there been an outcry of people stockpiling food and such but yet people want sports to do that, either that or deliver food and such everyday so heightening the chance of spreading the virus, unless their going to test and quarantine everyone in the making and distribution of food and such.
People have to eat, so the virus will spread be it by food delivery or shopping for groceries. The keys seem to be slowing the spread among those that are at risk of this disease killing them.

Sports can be a incredible reminder of the life we want back and a couple hours of not having to think about the bs of current life.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #29
qcbandits
Banned

If sports are played in what amounts to a quarantine bubble, the risk becomes negligible and the reward could be incredible
Old 04-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #30
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Also what about the logistics? No idea but I'm betting all the Braves players aren't in Atlanta, Celtics players aren't all in Boston. I'd be surprised if some players are even in America. So the message is everyone stay at home unless your in professional sports, oh by the way we're short of test kits but we'll be using hundreds on players, coaches, security, etc. Dont worry you'll need security, Italian football tried to play behind closed doors, until fans started to turn up outside the stadiums, hence why they shut the season down.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #31
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
People have to eat, so the virus will spread be it by food delivery or shopping for groceries. The keys seem to be slowing the spread among those that are at risk of this disease killing them.

Sports can be a incredible reminder of the life we want back and a couple hours of not having to think about the bs of current life.
Was just going to say something similar to this. I live in Ohio and if you have been following the news, our state has been doing a lot to "flatten the curve" over the last month and from the reports it seems to be doing what it is intended. Part of that has been how people have shopped in grocery stores and when ordering takeout or getting food delivered. I know we have ordered out more that normal to help support the local restaurants and the people who work there preparing and delivering the food and I have noticed that those places are taking extra caution with how they get our food to us.

Anyway, there are ways to protect the delivery people as well as the players and other staff if they follow strict guidelines recommended by the CDC. I think having sports back would be a welcome distraction for a large portion of the world, I mean WWE is holding Wrestlemania and airing it this weekend....even pre-taped it really does help to have this distraction, but I also agree that IF they end up exploring this as an option, they really need to research all possible outcomes and give the players and other staff/media the option to not play/work if they feel unsafe.

No sports (or Hollywood) is not a necessity, but it sure helps take your mind off things during these stressful and unsure times.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #32
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
Was just going to say something similar to this. I live in Ohio and if you have been following the news, our state has been doing a lot to "flatten the curve" over the last month and from the reports it seems to be doing what it is intended. Part of that has been how people have shopped in grocery stores and when ordering takeout or getting food delivered. I know we have ordered out more that normal to help support the local restaurants and the people who work there preparing and delivering the food and I have noticed that those places are taking extra caution with how they get our food to us.

Anyway, there are ways to protect the delivery people as well as the players and other staff if they follow strict guidelines recommended by the CDC. I think having sports back would be a welcome distraction for a large portion of the world, I mean WWE is holding Wrestlemania and airing it this weekend....even pre-taped it really does help to have this distraction, but I also agree that IF they end up exploring this as an option, they really need to research all possible outcomes and give the players and other staff/media the option to not play/work if they feel unsafe.

No sports (or Hollywood) is not a necessity, but it sure helps take your mind off things during these stressful and unsure times.
Yes it has to be set up with no ramifications if someone personally decides the risk is too high
Old 04-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #33
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Keys - like not sticking 100 people together in the same place unless it's necessary

Quote:
I should risk people's health so I don't have to read a book, learn a new language, clean out behind my refrigerator, exercise...
Old 04-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #34
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Of course they have to eat, I eat I have a friend who brings things to me when needed as I'm in a high risk group. I clean everything they bring, this morning box cereal and couple tins took me 1 minute to clean them. Now think about how many times you would have to multiply that if the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Blue Jays and Orioles players, staff etc in one complex.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #35
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Also what about the logistics? No idea but I'm betting all the Braves players aren't in Atlanta, Celtics players aren't all in Boston. I'd be surprised if some players are even in America. So the message is everyone stay at home unless your in professional sports, oh by the way we're short of test kits but we'll be using hundreds on players, coaches, security, etc. Dont worry you'll need security, Italian football tried to play behind closed doors, until fans started to turn up outside the stadiums, hence why they shut the season down.
The 3 week quarantine would do the same as a test
Old 04-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #36
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Italian football tried to play behind closed doors, until fans started to turn up outside the stadiums, hence why they shut the season down.
That is crazy, but we had similar situation here in the US where thousands of college kids went on spring break anyway and a lot of them ended up testing positive for the virus...and I read something today where a group of 70 people (in their 20s) ended up chartering a plane to Mexico for break and they came back and 50 of them tested positive.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #37
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
Of course they have to eat, I eat I have a friend who brings things to me when needed as I'm in a high risk group. I clean everything they bring, this morning box cereal and couple tins took me 1 minute to clean them. Now think about how many times you would have to multiply that if the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Blue Jays and Orioles players, staff etc in one complex.
Not if you stock the complex at the beginning, there are ways to avoid anything or anyone entering during the first 90 days.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #38
qcbandits
Banned

I'd bet these same level of discussions are happening behind closed doors as the sports leaders of America decide if these kinds of things are doable.

and to what you said about the WWE Ohiodevil, I'm going to assume once we have access to seeing the buyrates for their PPV that it will be absolutely nuts how high it will be
Old 04-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #39
qcbandits
Banned

Quote:
btw, sorry you fall into a high risk group and please do all you can to remain safe. My wife works with about 50 people in one of the high risk groups which i why I chose to self quarantine early on, well except for the bi-monthly supply runs, which are beginning to feel like something from the Walking Dead lol but seriously stay safe man!
Old 04-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #40
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

The WWE moved all their shows (Raw, Smackdown, NXT and Wrestlemania) to their Performance Center in Orlando and taped a bunch of shows so they had new content to air. When Florida shut down those non essential places, this was one of them but they already had content taped so they were good....going forward is a different thing, I think they may have two more weeks of content that can air, but after that who knows.

As a wrestling fan, I watched the shows they put on with no fans and the only people in the "arena" were the commentators, referees, cameramen and the wrestlers....and of course anyone else that works backstage and it was weird and I did not like it at first, but that is probably it is something that has never been done.

I also heard that Vince McMahon was present for every taping. They also had to make changes to the card as some wrestlers did get sick (don't think they got the CV-19, but they played it safe) and one (Roman Reigns) was pulled because he just beat cancer again and did not want to risk his life.

Anyway, I watched with my normal group of friends via Skype Video so we could keep our tradition of getting together for the major WWE shows and it was actually a lot of fun and I heard that the WWE Network saw a bigger uptick in subs this weekend, which means a lot of people did end up watching it. I actually am looking forward to tonight's Day 2 of the event and we are all getting together again via Skype to finish what we started.