Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 6 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM 6 dynasties here!

Old 04-02-2020, 09:59 PM   #21
JT_Dutch
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysixfingers View Post
Jens Öhling feels somewhat insulted by you calling Hovet a barn, even though it pretty much is.
"Barn" is just a standard reference term for any indoor hockey rink ... maybe it's a generational thing, but as I grew up with hockey, I heard the term a lot. It's not meant to be derogatory.

I appreciate the kind words!
JT_Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:02 PM   #22
JT_Dutch
Minors (Single A)

Back at the Forum in Inglewood, California
July 14, 1983

IN WHICH IT IS DISCOVERED THAT MISTAKES WERE MADE

(J.T. and VACHON arrive at their offices at 9:00 in the morning, and have a chat.)

VACHON: "So, we're apparently weakness-free at this point."

Name:  1 - Weaknesses 1983-07-14.png
Views: 594
Size:  243.8 KB

"It looks that way. But now we have to address another issue."

VACHON: "What's that?"

"We have almost no flexibility at this point. When I was hired, we had 47 guys under contract in the organization. Now, we're at 49.

As you well know, we're limited to fifty. We have to act and clear some space ... or put ourselves in a position to clear some space as soon as possible."

VACHON: "Damn, that's right! Sh*t, I'd forgotten about that. Anything you have in mind?"

"Well, I stayed late last night and scoured the league for guys at the end of their deals. I found a few."

Name:  2 - Rentals.png
Views: 566
Size:  98.5 KB

(J.T. continues.)

"We're definitely not going to get Tony Esposito or Glenn Resch. They're two very solid goalies and their teams need them desperately and aren't going to part with them. We're not going to get Jerry Korab, either. Wasn't Korab with the Kings not long ago?"

VACHON: "We did have him, yeah."

"What happened with that?"

VACHON: "Contract was up. He signed with Minnesota as a free agent, and Minnesota placed him on waivers three days later. Buffalo claimed him."

"I'll be damned. I tried to trade with the Sabres, and they weren't letting him get away."

VACHON: "Well, we already have Lorne Stamler."

"And, we can get Phil Myre. The Sabres are willing to listen to an offer for him."

VACHON: "Wonder what they're asking?"

Name:  3 - Phil Myre.png
Views: 371
Size:  104.9 KB

"Not all that much, actually. And we opened up some more space right away by trading two for one."

VACHON: "Excellent! So, Myre's going to be our third goalie? Or will it be Mattsson?"

"I'm not going to use Myre. No one who didn't play for the Kings in the past, present, or future will ever be called up to the big club."

VACHON: "The future???"

"You heard me. No one. This is going to be an all-King endeavor."

VACHON: "So that's why you didn't use the Swedish free agents."

"Exactly. So, we're at 48 contracts now. Which is nice, because we might sign another guy soon."

VACHON: "I wonder how our fans have been reacting to all of the news we're making."

Name:  4 - Fan Happiness 1983-07-14.png
Views: 256
Size:  46.7 KB

"What in the hell?!?! That should be at 80. Very recent draft pick? Who???"

VACHON: "I thought you were aware of the guys you couldn't deal away!"

"I was! I thought so, anyway. Were there any I missed? I could have swor-"

Name:  5 - Dave Gans.png
Views: 263
Size:  12.9 KB

"Oh no."

VACHON: "Are you kidding me???"

"Dammit. I traded Gans away as part of the deal to get Scott Bjugstad. I just blew it, Rogie."

VACHON: "I propose a moratorium on trades for the foreseeable future. I think we've done enough deals."

"That's probably the right call, yeah. Too many in such a short time."

(J.T. walks slowly to his office and shuts the door behind him.)
Old 04-06-2020, 05:57 AM   #23
JT_Dutch
Minors (Single A)

(After an extended length of time, J.T. emerges from his office to grab something to drink from the break room refrigerator. He sees Rogie VACHON sitting at the table reading the Los Angeles Times.)

VACHON: "You alright? Ready to get back on track?"

"I think so, yeah."

VACHON: "Okay. So, our payroll is exactly $170 thousand more than it was when you were hired. Your estimate was $200 thousand, if I remember right?"

Name:  1 - Financials 1983-07-14.png
Views: 246
Size:  283.4 KB

"Yep. It was."

VACHON: "Do you foresee any additional spending before the season starts?"

"Probably around $35-40 thousand more. Is that gonna be alright?"

VACHON: "That's fine. Which player did you have in mind?"

"Well, actually ... that would be enough to sign a couple of guys. What I want to do is sign one of the guys we've drafted, and later on I'd like to bring in a guy for depth; probably a forward."

VACHON: "What about this draft pick you want to sign? What position does he play?"

"It's Daren Eliot. He's a goaltender. We drafted him in 1980, after his freshman year at Cornell University. He stayed at Cornell and got his degree about a month or so ago."

Name:  3 - Darren Eliot 1.png
Views: 261
Size:  236.0 KB

VACHON: "Eliot ... Eliot, that name sounds familiar to me."

"The consensus seems to be that Darren is quite a bit more promising than I had initially thought, so I figure we can take a chance on him. Especially since we've almost completely strip-mined our top affiliate in New Haven."

Name:  2 - Nighthawks 1983-07-14.png
Views: 247
Size:  472.8 KB

VACHON: "Damn. That's not pretty. Where's Galley? And Kontos and McSorley???"

"They're on the big club's preseason roster. I'd rather see them work out here in Culver City. They'll be in New Haven once the regular season starts."

VACHON: "Oh, right. What's with all the guys on the trading block?"

"Those are the guys who've never had any affiliation with the Kings in the past, present, or future. Like I said, I won't use those guys. I doubt I'll see any offers for them, but you never know. Doesn't hurt to find out, either way."

VACHON: "Oh, you know what? I think we actually have a pretty recent scouting report on Eliot. That's why his name sounded familiar. Let me go have a look."

(VACHON heads to his office and returns with a sheet of paper.)

VACHON: "According to this, he's already made the trip to New Haven in anticipation of being signed, and is working out there. It's only an estimate of his potential, but it looks as if our scouting is in line with the consensus."

Name:  4 - Darren Eliot 2.png
Views: 245
Size:  455.4 KB

"Hmmm. That's something I'm going to monitor pretty closely over the course of the season. If that assessment of potential holds up, he'll be our most promising prospect."

VACHON: "Is that right?"

"Yeah. We're critically short on prospects, which is a big reason why I did so much trading."

Name:  5 - Prospect Rankings.png
Views: 240
Size:  177.1 KB

VACHON: "Since you've chosen to delegate the Entry Draft duties to George, you've essentially placed this in his hands."

"I'm simply leaving it there. Speaking of which, is George in Culver City now?"

VACHON: "Yeah ... about that. Dr. Buss wants him to spend the season in New Haven! As I recall, Dr. Buss's words were 'the farther George is from the media out here, the better.' So, I don't think we're going to be running into him all that much anymore."

"My heart is breaking."

VACHON: "No doubt. I think all that's left at this point is to get through training camp, isn't it?"

"Pretty much. We'll take a look at any significant development that takes place from now until the end of August, and then it's on to the preseason games."

VACHON: "I can't wait."

"Continuing with the sarcasm, are we?"

VACHON: "Ha, not this time. Get out of here. See you tomorrow."