Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 11-26-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
Antmf
Minors (Single A)

How do I determine what my team needs?

When starting a new season and when you guys look at your team how do you determine what your team needs? Or do you wait till mid season and then look to see? I am a tad confused on how to see what I need and when to look? I am a new player still trying to figure things out and don't know how to determine what position players I need or if I need pitchers first etc. Any advice I would appreciate it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Antmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmf View Post
When starting a new season and when you guys look at your team how do you determine what your team needs? Or do you wait till mid season and then look to see? I am a tad confused on how to see what I need and when to look? I am a new player still trying to figure things out and don't know how to determine what position players I need or if I need pitchers first etc. Any advice I would appreciate it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What seems like a simple question becomes more difficult one you try to answer it.

First, I run down each position.
C, 1B, 2B, etc...

Who are my starters? Who are my backups?

Fill out your lineups. Along with backups. It'll help you see where you have need or redundancies.

First,I decide where I am on the win curve. Does this team look like it's ready to go for a playoff run? Or do we need a few pieces to make that happen? Or is the team not going to be competitive. That helps me figure out what kind of strategy to have going forward. Adding win now players or adding players that will help in the future. Of course, I'm usually trying to do a little bit of both.

Then I look at contingencies. What if this guy gets hurt? The backup starts. Then who becomes the backup? I do that for each position. Keeping in mind that I can have multiple injuries at the same time. But also keeping in mind that I can't prepare for everything.

That gives me a general overview. I see where I have strengths and weaknesses. Where I need to improve and where I have depth to make those improvements.

As for the minors, if you're talking about your whole organization, I do that too. Focusing on filling the high minors first as there are less players available to play those levels. Making sure not to block my key prospects. I plan for a 25 man roster for AAA and AA and allow myself a few extra players for my A ball teams just so I don't have to futz with them as much. A 25 man roster gives me 9 starters (with a DH) a backup C, backup IF and backup OF plus 13 pitchers.

Again, this lets you see where you have depth and where you need to acquire players.

Then I look at contracts. Who am I expecting to stick around for a few years and who's going to leave? Who is going to get more expensive and where can I shed money?

Using Excel I rough out a 5 year plan including expected salaries so I can see where I need to cut and where I can add and how best to fill holes. Say I need a 3Bman. Short term or long term? Do I have money to spend (get a free agent), or do I need to give up talent to get a younger cheaper player.

That's, generically, it. As you get more experience, you'll get more nuance (do I need a left-handed hitting 3Bman or right-handed hitting 3Bman?, should my backup outfielder be more offensive or defensive minded?, etc).

Then start playing and injuries, and guys not performing (or overperforming) and realizing you missed something means you'll have to adjust constantly throughout the season. There's always a problem to solve in OOTP - which is why I love it.

That's something
I probably forgot a million things

Good luck
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:00 AM   #3
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Antmf

I doubt its possible for someone to describe their thought process when evaluating what's needed. There are multiple solutions to any problem but all involve compromise. If you tried to chart it out the branches would diverge to infinity.

However the idea of fixing things mid season won't work. You can't turn a 500 team at the trade deadline into a runaway division winner by October. There's not enough you can do. You actually need to start at the end of the last season.

There's only two things: scoring runs and preventing runs. Pick whichever you're weakest on and start there.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

I figure out my team needs at the end of the season once arbitration is done and free agents file. That's when I know what holes if any I have to fill and what resources I have to fill them. Determining your needs is art, not science. Some needs are obvious, others don't become apparent until well after the new season starts. Like anything else in this game, there are no sure fire formulas for success.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

"There's only two things: scoring runs and preventing runs. Pick whichever you're weakest on and start there."

After saying there are multiple solutions to any problem then I posted pick whichever is worst which seems obvious but in retrospect isn't close to the only answer. For example, say out of 12 teams your team is 7th in scoring and 9th in run prevention. So by the previous advice, upgrade pitching and defense. But.... what if improving run production by a given amount is cheaper than improving run prevention by the same amount?
Old 12-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
But.... what if improving run production by a given amount is cheaper than improving run prevention by the same amount?

You have a certain amount of resources, you have to decide how to best use them. If it was easy to figure out what to allocate where each year I'd win the WS every season but it's difficult and that's the beauty of the game. You have the figure out what you value most and go from there. No one can answer that for you.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:24 AM   #7
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave View Post
... You have the figure out what you value most and go from there.
What I value the most is a winning team with lots of guys in the Pirate black and gold!!!!

Unfortunately their scouting valued singles and doubles hitters who didn't draw walks.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
ignats75
Minors (Triple A)

Go to your team menu and go to reports.

There's a report called positional ranking. It shows who your best player and prospect is for each position AND WHERE YOU RANK IN COMPARISON TO OTHER TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE. That will tell you where you need to address. You then can go to the MLB menu and run the same report for the entire league and that will tell you where you can go to maybe make a trade.
ignats75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

I keep it simple by trying to replace the worst rated players first and working my way up, at some point you'll be left with just good players. Then just hope they play to their ratings
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote