Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Database Tools

OOTP Mods - Database Tools Do you need to take a dump? SQL gurus welcome

Old 05-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #81
RMc
All Star Starter

^ This is what I want!

EDIT: ...oh, hell. What I want is the last post of the previous page:

Quote:
So my real question is if it is possible to have major and minor league players import yearly without using the historic minor league teams? I do not want to individually import each player because I am too old and impatient for that kind of thing! We can create up to five levels of minors when creating a league, so I'd like that option for employing minor league guys. Is anyone with me on this? Or am I missing something totally?

Last edited by RMc; 05-11-2018 at 03:55 PM.
RMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #82
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER11JP View Post
So my real question is if it is possible to have major and minor league players import yearly without using the historic minor league teams? I do not want to individually import each player because I am too old and impatient for that kind of thing! We can create up to five levels of minors when creating a league, so I'd like that option for employing minor league guys. Is anyone with me on this? Or am I missing something totally?
the only way i know, well, is a lot of work. by going through the .csv files, year by year, creating a text file and importing the players to either the draft pool or Free Agency (i put them in the draft pool.). i also just use the minor league .csv so i don't get duplicate names - probably missing a few that never played in minors ... but it's easier than trying to go through the lists and editing out duplicate player names.
but that way i can import real minor/major leaguers into my fictional world.

but i don't know of an easier way to do this. my method is lots of editing and typing, probably more time creating the lists than playing the game. not what your looking for i realize, but i thought i'd share at least one way it could be done ... i do have a small write up somewhere on my computer on how i do it, if you're ever interested.

good luck and hope someone has a quicker way and shares it.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #83
txranger
Hall Of Famer

Just a quick thought here...
Could you start a historical game with the minors... Change names of teams to your fictional names, disable automatic evolution of the leagues and have your rookies import as free agents... Then release all players MLB and MILB to free agent pool, have a free agent draft or assign players to teams... Sound like this might work???

txranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #84
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. The bottom line is that this should not be such a challenge. It's not like the data is not available. We need a bit more flexibility between the OBD files and some CSV's that can open up some options. At least that's how I see it.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:31 AM   #85
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

If you click on the real minor league check box for years where there are no minor leagues or teams all MILB players automagically enter as free agents or appear in a draft depending on other settings. OOTP would therefore need to include a function that turns off MILB teams and leagues but leaves everything else as is. Would that work for anyone?

Also during beta a request was made to be able to use the mass select function already in the game for imports which would have allowed for easy imports without all the typing. Would that be helpful?
Old 05-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #86
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
If you click on the real minor league check box for years where there are no minor leagues or teams all MILB players automagically enter as free agents or appear in a draft depending on other settings. OOTP would therefore need to include a function that turns off MILB teams and leagues but leaves everything else as is. Would that work for anyone?

Also during beta a request was made to be able to use the mass select function already in the game for imports which would have allowed for easy imports without all the typing. Would that be helpful?
The short answers would be YES and YES.

Anything that opens up more options for importing players.is a good thing. Being able to funnel minor league guys to their debut organization would be super.as well. Presently, we can only EXPORT a league structure to a CSV file. Maybe a CSV file IMPORT to edit/update/store/share a custom minor league structure is possible. You would be the most qualified to answer that question, since it borders on quantum physics.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #87
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:

PLEASE...
I have been asking for this since the minor league DB came out- the ability to turn off the "follow history box" but still have the next year of players get to the draft (or free agents if playing that way)...would love if you could help us get this for 19. Would open up that great DB to all sorts of possabilities for constructing leagues
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #88
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
PLEASE...
I have been asking for this since the minor league DB came out- the ability to turn off the "follow history box" but still have the next year of players get to the draft (or free agents if playing that way)...would love if you could help us get this for 19. Would open up that great DB to all sorts of possabilities for constructing leagues
If you turned off the “follow history box”, had random debut of players, controlled the number of teams with access to both the major and minor databases you would have enough players for a very long time.

I could play my random debut with unaffiliated AAA teams for almost ever, I must be dreaming....
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #89
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

AFAIK As the internal processes of OOTP now stand you cannot have your wishes. Does not work worth a golly gosh dam. I spent about 40 hours testing various setups. Perhaps in a future version but this might not be a trivial change.

Easier importation of MLB players remains an achievable goal though.

Last edited by Spritze; 05-18-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #90
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
AFAIK As the internal processes of OOTP now stand you cannot have your wishes. Does not work worth a golly gosh dam. I spent about 40 hours testing. Perhaps in a future version but this might not be a trivial change.

Hi Spritze,

Well thanks for your efforts on this and all you create. I am sure down the road your knowledge and influence will help our cause!
Old 05-19-2018, 03:44 AM   #91
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
AFAIK As the internal processes of OOTP now stand you cannot have your wishes. Does not work worth a golly gosh dam. I spent about 40 hours testing various setups. Perhaps in a future version but this might not be a trivial change.

Hey Spritze,
Maybe the solution, since it might be so hard to alter how the Minor Db is used by the game
is for OOTP to give us a notepad file of all the players that the game imports each year. It would take some time to make that list for each year, but once it is done it is done, then we have the 120 or so text files to bring in the players manually each year.
That would be a working way around having access to all minor league players yet allowing us to have the league structue we want.
It would be easier if there was a master list like in the old DB, ..\
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #92
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

the issue is that those players will not perform in any realistic way.

That was fixed during ootp17 historicals beta testing but still applies if minor league players are imported to fictional leagues, fictional teams and random debuts. mitchkenn was one of the testers but I notice he is endorsing this so maybe he has updated information.

The list would be easy but the results would be crap to put it bluntly. In my tests the fail was epic.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:41 PM   #93
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

i've never gotten the Negro League players to perform well, outside of the Negro League minor league set-up, without much editing. In that minor league setting, they seemed to do just fine when i beta tested them last year. Somewhere i've got partial notes on the early results, but they're probably haphazard and cryptic now that they are out of context of that testing.
The idea Sprague offered, a huge notepad entry of all the players Ids and names, broken down by year, i think would be a good thing for those of us who import players in that manner. However, it's not something i expect to happen. i've tinkered with a couple dozen files for the years i'd been playing, both the games milb and the older Spritze 17. but the folders are very incomplete - made specifically for a couple of tests i tried and didn't follow up on.
still, for a fictional league with real historical players, the importing players via year by year text file is the only way i know will work. but, to gather the info for that file is very time consuming, at least the way i've been doing it.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #94
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Making the list is a trivial matter.

Somehow I have not found a way to convey that importing players from the minor league database does not generate players with the proper skill levels. Basically all you get are fictional players with real names. That is why your negro league example happens, it happens to 100% of imported minor league players.

Imported major league players work fine as do players from my database because those are all major league equivalences. Without that step imported players lose all connection to reality.