Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #81
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

11/1/1907 - Season wrap-up

First, some housekeeping items. I like being able to look at the GM's transaction history, but for some reason Al Milnar signs about 200 extensions per offseason, and it is driving me nuts. In an effort to fix that I've done two things, release Milnar, and created a new GM, who was randomly named Shawn Yost.

Nelson Gore will now retire with a 481-415 lifetime record, and a .537 winning percentage, and a reputation as a Very Good GM. I'll be starting over as a Greenhorn, but other than the name change nothing really changes except on paper we've got a new GM running the show. Here is where we stand right now:
St Louis Browns - 54-86 (.386) 28 GB
1902 - St. Louis Browns 69-71 (.493) 20 GB (Season Score - 35)
1903 - St. Louis Browns 69-71 (.493) 11 GB (Season Score - 36)
1904 - St. Louis Browns 89-65 (.578) - GB, Lost World Series 4-3 to Pittsburgh Pirates (Season Score - 94)
1905 - St. Louis Browns 88-66 (.571) - GB, Lost World Series 4-2 to Pittsburgh Pirates (Season Score - 78)
1906 - St. Louis Browns 85-69 (.552) 3 GB (Season Score - 41)
1907 - St. Louis Browns 81-73 (.526) 19 GB (Season Score - 5)

On paper it makes me feel a little better firing myself. I wanted to take a deeper dive this offseason, and look at my strengths and weaknesses position by position.

Catcher
Rank - 6th
Yogi Berra (33) - 0.6 WAR
Bill Freehan (19) - 2.6
Joe Mauer (23) - 0.7

Yogi Berra continues to take at-bats away from Mauer and his platoon with Freehan. I'm thinking that trading Berra might be a case of addition by subtraction, as he always seems a way to get decent playing time, and has never lived up to expectations

1st Base
Rank - 6th
Babe Borton (37) 0.9
Max West (27) 0.1

Since trading Greg Brock he has gone on to have a 1.3 and 1.6 WAR season in New York, while I've struggled to find a good first baseman. Sean Casey in AAA has really struggled, although Javier Valentin has been playing first base and looks to be an option. It appears time to look outside the organization.

2nd Base
Rank - 2nd
Nellie Fox (18) 2.2)
German Barranca (26) 0.5
Fox has been a pleasant surprise for us, as he was just a throw him out there and see what he can do move. I'm comfortable with running out Fox with Barranca as the backup next year.

3rd Base
Rank - 14th
Terry Pendleton (27) 0.8
Denny Walling (29) 1.4
Pendleton performed pretty well since coming over in a July trade, and Walling played better than I thought he did. While this is one of the positions I'm ranked poorly in, I'm not as worried about third as some of the other positions.

Shortstop
Rank - 4th
Ryan Theriot (25) 2.7
Steve Yerkes (32) 1.9
Theriot has been another pleasant surprise since being drafted. He is turned into a serviceable shortstop, who is pretty good with the glove and decent with the bat. While I could find an upgrade, I don't exactly have a lot of trade chips to do so.

Left Field
Rank - 8th
Nate Colbert (29) 0.4
Rick Peters (29) 1.5
Peters has been on a downward slope since 1903, but really played bad this season, hitting 50 points below his career average. Did a string of injuries sap his skills, or is this a one time blip?

Center Field
Rank - 9th
Carlos Beltran (23) 0.8
I had such high hopes for Beltran, and I can't help but notice his decline coincided with my decline. I have to decide if the 23 year old is in a two year slump, or were his first two years a fluke. At a minimum I would like a decent backup for his inevitable injuries.

Right Field
Rank - 14th
Tom Brunansky (25) 0.5
Del Young (29) 0.5
Right field has plagued me since the beginning, with Raul Ibanez, Nick Swisher, Del Young, and now Tom Brunansky among the options I have tried. At least defensively Brunansky has been good. I still would like to find a decent upgrade though.

Rotation
Rank - 5th
The Only Nolan (30) 9.5
Harvey Haddix (28) 8.9
Wes Ferrell (30) 7.3
Speed Martin (27) 5.9

The older my rotation gets the more I start to worry. While our starter's allowed the second fewest runs, and had the second lowest ERA I do feel that we are one step away from disaster. We haven't been able to add depth through the draft, as the decent starting pitchers have been off the board. While Nolan is the career win leader I will at least entertain trading him this offseason.
Attached Images
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #82
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

2/1/1908 - Offseason Report

First the draft recap, where we selected starting pitcher Vic Keen with our top pick. 1B Frank Tepedino was our second round pick, left fielder Drew Macias our third round pick, followed by right fielder Lewis Smith in the fourth round, and left fielder Count Gedney in the last round. Despite our struggles we still picked 12th overall, so there weren't a lot of options on the table.

On the minor moves front we signed two middle relievers, Neftali Feliz and Dan Tipple who will go down to the minors and we'll try and convert to starters. Both don't have great endurance, but appear to have the tools required to start, or at least give it a shot.

Ned Hanlon was brought on as our new manager after two seasons with the Athletics. While his record wasn't too impressive, his ratings were impressive. I'm hoping that he can lead our team to the promised land.

Hector Mojica is our new hitting coach. After an unsuccessful promotion to manager we will put him in a role he is more comfortable with, and I hope he will make a difference with some of our struggling hitters. His first project will be Carlos Beltran and trying to fix his swing.

The latest right field casualty to be is former Red Dave Winfield, who we swapped Max West for. The 33 year old Winfield hit .255 last season.

In a deal with the Superbas we sent Yogi Berra, 3B Jim Ray Hart, and SP Tom Browning and got back 3B/outfielder Bernie Friberg in return.

That allowed us to move third baseman Terry Pendelton and starting pitcher Speed Martin to the Reds in exchange for Bret Saberhagen, who was 19-11 with a 1.75 ERA last year.

And finally we made one final move with our old rival, the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Pirates sent 1B Rusty Staub, who is expected to return from a broken leg next year, and shortstop Bill McKechnie, who tore up AAA, but is blocked at the shortstop position for a package including Nate Colbert, Jim McCormick, and Mule Watson.

McKechnie is a glove first, bat second player who I'm hoping can serve as a utility infielder, and Staub is 23, and took a big ratings hit, but I'm hoping can serve as half of the first base platoon.

A lot more trades than I like to make, and given my recent record with trades Browns fans should have reason to be worried about next year. Lots of "big" names being moved and acquired, but most were shells of their "real" selves. Bring on 1908!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #83
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

4/13/1908 - Opening Day

My owner wants us to finish .500 or better, and according to predictions we project out to a second place finish with a 88-66 record, six games worse than the Highlanders, who are hungry for revenge after getting knocked off by the Phillies in the World Series. The NL has now won four straight World Series.

We finished middle of the pack, going 13-11 this spring. A couple spring standouts -
-Rusty Staub hit .355
-Javier Valentin hit .348
-New 3B Bernie Friberg hit .265
-New RF Dave Winfield hit .208, almost as good as Carlos Beltran (.224)
-Bret Saberhagen didn't give up a run this spring - although he pitched only 1 inning

My manager definitely has a mind of his own, so his line-up and what I envisioned is quite different, but what do I know?

With a 2-0 Opening Day win over the Naps, reserve centerfielder Gary Thomasson started at first base, and went 3-4. Bill McKechnie got the start at shortstop and drove in both runs, and The Only Nolan pitched a 3 hit shutout. At least a brief taste of first place after a long absence.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #84
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

5/1/1908 - Injuries strike

Rusty Staub showed the dangers of trading for a fragile player, and Carlos Beltran showed why he deserves that label. Too many members of my starting line-up have an average that starts with 1.

Wes Ferrell has been on a tear early on, going 4-0 with a 1.00 ERA, giving up just 4 runs in 36 innings. It's still early, but an 8-8 start isn't what I expected.
Attached Images
Old 06-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #85
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

i loved your first worst to first dynasty...ill be watching your career with great interest

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #86
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
i loved your first worst to first dynasty...ill be watching your career with great interest
Thanks, I'm definitely not having as much luck this time around, but hopefully I'll be able to turn things around soon!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #87
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

6/1/1908 - I know it's the deadball era, but...

Our offense is pretty pathetic. Luckily our pitching and defense are carrying us through.

I can't help but tinker, and right field is driving me nuts. Dave Winfield is 1.3 wins worse than some guy off the street. So we shipped off shortstop Ryan Theriot and first baseman Frank Tepedino to the White Sox for right fielder Keith Lampard. We'll see how it works out.
Attached Images
Old 06-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #88
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

7/1/1908 - Chasing Boston

A 16-9 month left us comfortably in second place. The story of our season continues to be pitching and defense, and little offense. We did get Carlos Beltran back, and he has been hitting well since his return.

The problem with trading for Keith Lampard was things never work out like I plan. I guess that is the hazard of trading for a player who can play multiple positions, and not interfering. But Staub in right and Lampard at first is acceptable as it gets Winfield out of the starting line-up. With every move I make my offense just seems to get worse and worse though.
Attached Images
Old 06-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #89
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

8/1/1908- The good, the bad, and the ugly

With a 19-8 month we opened up a 3 game lead over Boston and I started to feel pretty good about my team and my chances. But as I learned with my time in St. Louis, nothing has been easy for the Browns. Tom Brunansky, Joe Mauer, Carlos Beltran, and Bret Saberhagen all went down with injuries.

I really don't have much I can do with my roster, except hope that the injuries stop now, and my back-ups can play well enough to hold on to the lead. I'm beginning to really hate the Browns!
Attached Images
Old 06-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #90
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

9/1/1908 - A losing month

August was a rough month, as we went 12-13 for the month, but we survived with our lead still in tact. There were really two key series for us this month that are responsible for us remaining in first, winning 3 out of 4 games at home, and on the road against Boston.

They could have really put a nail in our coffin because we entered both series with a two game losing streak. If we can hold on getting back Bret Saberhagen for the World Series will be very good.

The problem for us will be getting there. Circle September 24-26 on your calendars, as that is our final three games of the year against Boston. We will take advantage of roster expansion to hopefully give us some reinforcements in our battle against Boston.
Attached Images
Old 06-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #91
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

9/29/1908 - Back to the World Series

A 19-9 month has us returning to the World Series. The Red Sox finished 10-15 for the month, so a combination of their struggles and our success has us preparing for try number 3 in the World Series with the Browns.

The next update will come in the World Series. Over in the NL the World Champion Phillies are holding on to a 2 1/2 game lead over the Cubs.
Attached Images
Old 06-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #92
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/10/1908 - World Series Game 1

Bret Saberhagen took the mound for game 1 against the Phillies (yes another Pennsylvania team is our World Series opponent).

Saberhagen was everything that I traded for and more pitching a complete game and giving up just 2 runs on 6 hits, while walking none. Rusty Staub hit a bases clearing double to drive in 3 runs, while Keith Lampard drove in a pair of runs. A good start to the World Series with a 9-2 victory.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #93
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/11/1908 - World Series Game 2

Things were rolling along just as I wanted with The Only Nolan taking a 2-1 lead into the seventh inning, and pitching an incredible game. I started feeling pretty confident about my team, but the rain started falling.

A 46 minute rain delay later, and the game was entrusted to my bullpen. Two Phillies runs in the 8th and two more in the ninth sent the series to Philadelphia all tied up after the 5-2 loss.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #94
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/13/1908 - World Series Game 3

Heading into the ninth inning we were leading 6-2 over the Phillies and the ninth inning went like this:

TOP OF THE 9TH
St. Louis Browns batting - Pitching for Philadelphia Phillies :
RHP*John H Murphy

Batting: LHB*Harvey Haddix
0-0: Called Strike
0-1: Ball
1-1: Foul Ball, location: 2F
1-2: Foul Ball, location: 2F
1-2: Ground out 6-3 (Groundball, 6M)

Batting: SHB*Bill McKechnie
0-0: Ball
1-0: Ball
2-0: Ground out U3 (Groundball, 3L)

Batting: LHB*Nellie Fox
0-0: Ground out 1-3 (Groundball, 25)

Top of the 9th over - 0 run(s), 0 hit(s), 0 error(s), 0 left on base; St. Louis 6 - Philadelphia 2

Surely we could hold on to the lead, right?

Otherwise I might start believing in curses.

BOTTOM OF THE 9TH
Philadelphia Phillies batting - Pitching for St. Louis Browns :
LHP*Harvey Haddix

Batting: SHB*Kurt Stillwell
1-0: Foul Ball, location: 2F
1-1:*SINGLE*(Line Drive, 34)

Pinch Hitting: LHB*Claude Rossman
0-0: Foul Ball, location: 2F
0-1: Foul Ball, location: 2F
0-2: Ball
1-2: Ball
2-2: Ball
3-2: Base on Balls
Kurt Stillwell*to second

Batting: RHB*Solly Hofman
2-0: Ball
3-0: Called Strike
3-1: Foul Ball, location: 2F
3-2: Fly out, F7 (Flyball, 7M)

Batting: RHB*Rick Bosetti
0-0: Reached on error, E6 (Groundball, 56)
Kurt Stillwell*to third
Claude Rossman*to second

Batting: RHB*Red Murray
2-0: Called Strike
2-1: Foul Ball, location: 2F
2-2: Ball
3-2: Foul Ball, location: 2F
3-2:*SINGLE*(Line Drive, 34D)
Kurt Stillwell*scores
Claude Rossman*to third
Rick Bosetti*to second

Batting: RHB*Sean Berry
1-0:*SINGLE*(Groundball, 6D)
Claude Rossman*scores
Rick Bosetti*to third
Red Murray*to second
Runner from 3rd tries for Home, SAFE, no throw or cutoff

Batting: LHB*Jacoby Ellsbury
2-0: Foul Ball, location: 2F
2-1:*SINGLE*(Line Drive, 7M)
Red Murray*to third
Sean Berry*to second

Batting: RHB*George Moriarty
0-0:*SINGLE*(Line Drive, 78S)
Red Murray*scores
Sean Berry*to third
Jacoby Ellsbury*to second

Batting: LHB*Yogi Berra
1-0: Fly out, F4 (Popup, 4)

Batting: SHB*Kurt Stillwell
0-0: Called Strike
0-1:*SINGLE*(Flyball, 89S)
Sean Berry*scores

That says it all. 5 runs in the bottom of the ninth as the Phillies walk off winners.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #95
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/14/1908 - World Series Game 4

With Bret Saberhagen on the mound, and no rain in the forecast Game 4 went according to plan.

4 hits, 1 unearned run, and we rolled to a 6-1 victory to even up the series. Bill Freehan was 2-4 with a double and RBI, and Javier Valentin went 2-4 with a triple and RBI.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #96
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

sounds like my games...i cant stand it when the AI allows my bullpen to blow up in the last inning...seems to happen a lot

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #97
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
sounds like my games...i cant stand it when the AI allows my bullpen to blow up in the last inning...seems to happen a lot
It does seem that way. I'm not sure what it is, but I seem to have the worst luck with this version too. Maybe it's rust, but it sure feels like bad things happen at worst times.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #98
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

10/15/1908 - World Series Game 5

Tonight's role of Cy Young was played by Scott Baker of the Phillies, who held us to just 3 hits over the complete game shutout. Nolan pitched well, just not as well, taking the loss as we face another elimination game against a team from Pennsylvania.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #99
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
It does seem that way. I'm not sure what it is, but I seem to have the worst luck with this version too. Maybe it's rust, but it sure feels like bad things happen at worst times.
im almost ready to think that its coded into the AI to somehow allow a game from the user to slip away at certain points...i cant count how many blown saves ive had since this game was released...and im into my 2020 season with the marlins

Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #100
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
im almost ready to think that its coded into the AI to somehow allow a game from the user to slip away at certain points...i cant count how many blown saves ive had since this game was released...and im into my 2020 season with the marlins
I'm beginning to wonder myself. I keep wondering if I'm missing the 'force user to lose in the playoffs' checkbox somewhere. Hopefully both our luck changes for the better soon.