Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
Dave1408
Minors (Double A)

Macbook overheating

I've been playing OOTP for years. I love managing every one of my team's games but in recent years my Macbook just hasn't been able to handle it, as it starts to overheat a TON when I manage full games. I'm just wondering if anyone can help me out by sharing maybe some workable lower graphic settings. I just want to be able to manage my games without putting my computer at risk of overheating.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Dave1408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
Malova
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1408 View Post
I've been playing OOTP for years. I love managing every one of my team's games but in recent years my Macbook just hasn't been able to handle it, as it starts to overheat a TON when I manage full games. I'm just wondering if anyone can help me out by sharing maybe some workable lower graphic settings. I just want to be able to manage my games without putting my computer at risk of overheating.
Thanks in advance for any help!

When you say overheating is it actually crashing is just getting hotter than normal?

-Have you tried to set it on a hard surface and playing than your lap?
-What settings do you currently run it at?
-Is it only overheating when your actually playing out the games?
Malova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #3
Dave1408
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malova View Post
When you say overheating is it actually crashing is just getting hotter than normal?

-Have you tried to set it on a hard surface and playing than your lap?
-What settings do you currently run it at?
-Is it only overheating when your actually playing out the games?

It's always on a desk when i play. Never on my lap.
I'm using the out-of-the-box default settings.
It only overheats when I actually play out games. It heats up a tiny bit when i'm simming long periods but nothing major.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
Malova
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
It's always on a desk when i play. Never on my lap.
I'm using the out-of-the-box default settings.
It only overheats when I actually play out games. It heats up a tiny bit when i'm simming long periods but nothing major.

So it does crash? The application is what I am referencing.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
Dave1408
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
So it does crash? The application is what I am referencing.
I don't let it get to that point. If I feel like my computer is about to overheat I quit out of the game. Recently i've started just managing the 8-9th inning so that it can't overheat for too long.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
Malova
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I don't let it get to that point. If I feel like my computer is about to overheat I quit out of the game. Recently i've started just managing the 8-9th inning so that it can't overheat for too long.

Hmm, I guess what I am trying to understand is what do you consider over heating do you have an app running that shows your temps or does your Mac do something different just trying to get a better understanding.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
Dave1408
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Hmm, I guess what I am trying to understand is what do you consider over heating do you have an app running that shows your temps or does your Mac do something different just trying to get a better understanding.
It gets extremely hot to the point where it feels like it could likely damage the computer. I'm just looking for suggestions for lower settings.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #8
Malova
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
It gets extremely hot to the point where it feels like it could likely damage the computer. I'm just looking for suggestions for lower settings.

I personally don't think it's anything to worry about however I don't play on a laptop so I would suggest lowering graphical settings across the board and upping them little by little until you can pinpoint the direct cause of the "overheating"
Old 04-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
You would a temp gauge for cpu and you to tell how hot it is getting.

In reality once your laptop starts aging the fan can get clogged or dirty. Dust becomes super dust sometimes and it cant get blown out. You need to take a brush sometimes metal and clean it out.

The other thing the thermal paste on the CPU put down in the factory is awful. It probably needs to be removed and put some high quality new stuff down there.

These 2 things can influence 20 degrees Celsius or more.

And if it worked before and now it doesn't it probably needs a cleaning and thermal paste maintenance done to it.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #10
Hotwheelz
All Star Starter

I had the same issue when I played on my MacBook Air. The only solution I found was to not use the modern graphics view during games. When I use the webcast view or anything that doesn't have players moving around it seems to be just fine.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #11
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheelz View Post
I had the same issue when I played on my MacBook Air. The only solution I found was to not use the modern graphics view during games. When I use the webcast view or anything that doesn't have players moving around it seems to be just fine.
MacBook airs have the tiniest fans imaginable. Really flimsy too.

Modern OS won't overheat. It will first throttle down your processor and increase down throttle to it feels like you can't do anything. Finally if it still can't get cpu cooled it will turn the laptop off.

The laptop itself is not at risk. That's why the OS has fail safes.

Most instances a good fan cleaning and new thermal paste will fix the issues.

Depending on make and model gpu us either built in on the CPU processor or it has its own chipset. Either case both will be covered by the heat sink and have thermal paste on it.

Now there are also plenty of times the actual heat sink actually is at fault. The heat pipes fail and it will never cool off processor when it's under load it will just be circulating hot fluid instead of cool fluid.

Those cases the heat sink has to be replaced. Under load you touch heat pipes if they are both real hot it's probably the heat sink.

Of course this all depends on make and model plus if it's a Mac then your emc number.

Lot of places never think to test the heat sink in laptops. We always kept 100% known working ones to test on people's laptops if thermal paste and fan cleaning didn't work.

Heat sinks are usually cheap on eBay typically under $35 all the way down to under $10 depends make/model apple number.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:16 PM   #12
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

I would suggest turning the graphics settings down, and then slowly ramping them back up. So if you go File->Settings, and then go to the 3d tab, you can play around with those options. The settings to look at related to this
-Frame Rate - setting a hard limit on the frame rate could have a huge impact if your machine is trying to churn through the 3d at a much faster rate than it can display.
-Audience detail/quality/animation - turning down or off the audience animations might help performance at a cost of losing some background ambience
-Anisotropic Filtering - Dialing it down may lose a little on the quality of animation, but might help
-openGL mode - whether the "fast blit" is enabled or not might help with the processing power (depending on your machine, not sure if enabled or not is better)

But yes, if you're seeing your computer really working like crazy while playing out in 3D, at the very least I would try out with hard-capping the framerate and seeing if that A solves your problem and B has a minor impact on the game experience.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:03 AM   #13
mtopham
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheelz View Post
This is when the laptop crashes for me - any replay other than modern 3D instantly crashes the game - and does so in v20, too...
Old 04-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
Scipio Africanus
Major Leagues

I doubt my experience will be helpful to you but I had this problem last year. It turned out it wasn't an OOTP problem but a CPU setting problem. My computer (not a Mac or a laptop) had a max setting that put the CPU into overdrive when it was stressed by games/graphics. I set max processor usage at 99% (instead of 100%, which put it into overdrive) and haven't had any problems since.

Last edited by Scipio Africanus; 04-08-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Scipio Africanus is offline   Reply With Quote