Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #1
tward13
All Star Starter

3D improvements, please

I'm enjoying playing out games with the 3D players. It's much improved over past years. Far fewer truly weird things happening.

However, what I'd like to see next is a concerted effort to make them act more like real players.

Examples -

Deep fly ball to RF, the runner on first should go down to second and return on the catch. He's not going to tag on an obvious catch.

Stop having the OF throw all the way home from deep OF, especially when the runners are holding.

Lineup the cutoffs and hit them way more often.

Have all runners run through 1B on grounders to the infield.

Improve timing of the action so that plays flow more smoothly and runners who are out don't regularly beat the throws.

Again on timing. Have more balls go through the IF and not through a fielder.

It's a matter of watching games play out an noting where it doesn't look like pro players.

Yes, it's very good and to the point where it's nitpicking. And that's a good thing.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

All of the above +

How about an occasional pick-off throw to 2b?

Deep fly ball, less than 2 out, runners on 2nd n 3rd. Runner on 3rd tags, fielder throws home, runner at 2nd should tag n go to 3rd, but never does.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post

Probably some MLB managers who would like to see these also.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #4
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
All of the above +

Deep fly ball, less than 2 out, runners on 2nd n 3rd. Runner on 3rd tags, fielder throws home, runner at 2nd should tag n go to 3rd, but never does.
Yes, in general not enough trailing runners advance on throws. Also not enough go first to third on hifs.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

I agree with everything you posted except this.

When v19 came out with the new 3d players I too thought, "please make all of the runners run through 1b whether out or safe". As I played v19 and now vXX I have changed my mind.

What I like about the disappearing runner is it let's me instantly know what call the ump made. Runs through safe, disappears out. The timing of it, too me, is realistic this way. Too have to wait for the call, determined by if the runner comes back to the base or circles and returns to the dugout(or maybe still disappears but up the line) wouldn't feel right from a timing standpoint.

Unless or until either there are on-field umpires I'd prefer it stay the way it is. I'd be a 100% behind a suggestion for this to be added at some time.

Maybe I'll find myself alone in this opinion but it is what it is, my opinion

Last edited by Sweed; 03-27-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
Statsman1
Major Leagues

I have only played two full games in 3D mode, but I have noticed a couple of things...

The runners on base will take off when there's a deep ball hit, and keep going when they "know" it's not going to be caught, even though, from my perspective, I cannot tell if it will be caught or not. Again, this could be from the viewer's perspective, but I have noted that on a couple of plays that were saved by a diving OF, they SHOULD have taken off but didn't, like they knew a heroic catch was going to be made.

Now this could be the result of the result of the play being determined by the game, then that result being acted out in 3D...but it's just something I noticed, and it's not "realism" in that sense...I will concede, though, that it qualifies as nitpicky.

Also, the stands could use a bit more color to show the actual size of the crowd. Unless my games had a paid attendance of 18 people, a LOT of customers came to the game disguised as empty seats.

I love the quirkiness of the 3D, though.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:30 PM   #7
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I'm enjoying playing out games with the 3D players. It's much improved over past years. Far fewer truly weird things happening.

However, what I'd like to see next is a concerted effort to make them act more like real players.

Examples -

Deep fly ball to RF, the runner on first should go down to second and return on the catch. He's not going to tag on an obvious catch.

Stop having the OF throw all the way home from deep OF, especially when the runners are holding.

Improve timing of the action so that plays flow more smoothly and runners who are out don't regularly beat the throws.

Again on timing. Have more balls go through the IF and not through a fielder.

It's a matter of watching games play out an noting where it doesn't look like pro players.

Yes, it's very good and to the point where it's nitpicking. And that's a good thing.

All good ideas. Remember it wasn't so long ago that we were watching pawns move around the field and happy to see them!

It wouldn't surprise me if all or most of these will be addressed by next release, if not sooner.
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #8
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
All of the above +

I've seen a pickoff attempt a 2nd... but only once in about 20 games played out so far..
Harry Hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:31 AM   #9
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

We're working on the 3D constantly and it will evolve over the years and get better & better. So keep the suggestions coming please
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:51 AM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yep, we'll definitely be stealing a few of these to add in later this summer
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #11
Royalsusedtorule
Minors (Triple A)

Good ideas by the OP ... the 3D has really been enhanced, and I applaud Markus and the gang ... I'm sure some of the small details are maybe difficult to assimilate, but I'm sure the developers will continue to work hard at it ...

My single biggest gripe about the 3D play has been and, unfortunately, still is - the CF taking off backwards as if he is racing after a long fly to the track or wall, then the ball dropping well in front of him for a double ... this has been a problem since the debut of 3D play and, although we were told last year it would be corrected, is still a problem in the new, enhanced screen action ...

If this could finally be taken care of and fixed, I'd actually be a pretty happy camper in regards to the 3D animation ... there will always be more that can be done, but to me, this is a pretty major snafu ... really not sure why it has posed such a major problem ...
Royalsusedtorule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #12
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
SS flip to 2b when extremely close instead of the full wind up.

Please please
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #13
WestCoastGuy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalsusedtorule View Post
My single biggest gripe about the 3D play has been and, unfortunately, still is - the CF taking off backwards as if he is racing after a long fly to the track or wall, then the ball dropping well in front of him for a double ... this has been a problem since the debut of 3D play and, although we were told last year it would be corrected, is still a problem in the new, enhanced screen action ...

If this could finally be taken care of and fixed, I'd actually be a pretty happy camper in regards to the 3D animation ... there will always be more that can be done, but to me, this is a pretty major snafu ... really not sure why it has posed such a major problem ...

Honestly, this has a lot to do with why I haven't bought the 20 game.
WestCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:36 AM   #14
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalsusedtorule View Post
Good ideas by the OP ... the 3D has really been enhanced, and I applaud Markus and the gang ... I'm sure some of the small details are maybe difficult to assimilate, but I'm sure the developers will continue to work hard at it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastGuy View Post
Honestly, this has a lot to do with why I haven't bought the 20 game.
This is not for these two posters but for any new users that may be reading this and do not know....

This is a display issue in the 3d representation of the game and not the game awarding a double to a "bad" play. I agree it is irritating to see, and would love to see it fixed, but it has no statistical effect in the game. If you were playing text only you wouldn't know it exists.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:45 AM   #15
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
This is not for these two posters but for any new users that may be reading this and do not know....

This is a display issue in the 3d representation of the game and not the game awarding a double to a "bad" play. I agree it is irritating to see, and would love to see it fixed, but it has no statistical effect in the game. If you were playing text only you wouldn't know it exists.
We have fixed a large number of those annoying doubles for this year, but they still creep in from time to time, and I definitely agree they're quite annoying. We'll make another push in April/May sometime to do a big pass through the 3d stuff, and hopefully we can nail it down then.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #16
Reed
All Star Starter

Also the throw from the 1st baseman to the pitcher covering 1st base coucould be improved. Looks like a hard throw instead of a flip.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #17
zappa1
All Star Starter

1st and 3rd

I still would like to double steal with runners on 1st and 3rd. Unfortunately, it is not possible to do in this game. Still waiting, though. And totally agree about the deep throws from the outfield. No way should a centerfielder from the warning track fire the ball all the way home. Use the cutoff man much, much, more. Also, does every throw to a base from anywhere on the field, HAVE to be right at the bag? Wide left or right once in awhile would be good. Not just over throws.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #18
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
You've seen the kid in Oakland make like 2 or 3 warning track cf to home to nail runners thus year already. Talk about an arm
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #19
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Bunt plays are still weird from the 3D perspective
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #20
zappa1
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
You've seen the kid in Oakland make like 2 or 3 warning track cf to home to nail runners thus year already. Talk about an arm
Sorry, I haven't. I've seen him just in front of the warning track to first base for a double play. That was last year. If you are talking about Bogaerts getting nailed at the plate the other day, please, that was no where near from the warning track.
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote