Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

You decide the MLB schedule length

With ongoing talk of the MLB season being too long, the weather issues of the spring and fall, would you shorten the season? If you had the absolute power to change the length of the season, how short would you make it or would you leave it alone?
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I'd schedule more off days & doubleheaders on holidays. Cooler locations & domes would also have more doubleheaders during the summer.

Speaking of which, on the Sports Shop radio show this AM, one of the hosts said you could meet someone new @ the beginning of spring training, date them, get engaged, married, have a kid, move, switch jobs & get a dog before the WS ends.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I'd schedule more off days & doubleheaders on holidays. Cooler locations & domes would also have more doubleheaders during the summer.

Speaking of which, on the Sports Shop radio show this AM, one of the hosts said you could meet someone new @ the beginning of spring training, date them, get engaged, married, have a kid, move, switch jobs & get a dog before the WS ends.
This is almost not hyperbole. I met my wife in March 1996 and we were married in November 1996. Our initial plan was for the wedding to be Columbus Day weekend but a few logistics pushed it to the next month.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
With ongoing talk of the MLB season being too long, the weather issues of the spring and fall, would you shorten the season? If you had the absolute power to change the length of the season, how short would you make it or would you leave it alone?
I would start ST January 15th with the regular season starting around the last week of February with the regular season ending around Oct 21th so the playoffs are over by Thanksgiving and the FA period is over by January 1st. So i would extend the season to about 200-250 games. If football players can play in sub zero temperatures with short sleeves then so can baseball players in Chicago.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Reed
All Star Starter

I once read that the more games a sport has in a season, the less important each individual game becomes. They were trying to explain why individual regular season games in football are more important/interesting than NBA and NBA games are more interesting than MLB games.
Since I think regular season MLB games are a snooze fest, I would shorten regular season to 140 games from Apr 20 to Sep 20. Also that way less interference with college/pro football. Of course this would never happen because of loss revenue for everyone involved. Oh well, in my OOTP universe I play a 144 game schedule.

Last edited by Reed; 10-24-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
pgjocki
All Star Starter

I'd like to see all 4 game series and only play games Thursday through Sunday. Monday would be available for make up games and ever Tuesday off with Wednesday as a travel day.

I haven't done the math on how many games that would cut off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Eliminate the current format and instead have 4 best of 15, 5 round tournaments. The winner of each tournament advances to a 4 team playoff at the end of the year with 3 best of 11 rounds.

Tournament 1: March-April
Tournament 2: May-June
Tournament 3: July-August
Tournament 4: September-October
Playoffs: November
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:56 PM   #8
WestCoastGuy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
I once read that the more games a sport has in a season, the less important each individual game becomes. They were trying to explain why individual regular season games in football are more important/interesting than NBA and NBA games are more interesting than MLB games.
This is generally true, but, for me, regular-season baseball games just feel more important than regular-season basketball and hockey games despite there being twice as many of them.

But that is definitely a major factor in why football is so popular in this country. Every single game feels like a major event.

As far as the MLB schedule goes, I suppose I might move it another week into March and focus early games on places in the South or California or in domed stadiums elsewhere, but I wouldn't make drastic changes to the regular-season schedule. However, the postseason schedule could sure be tightened as there are ... so ... many ... off ... days.
WestCoastGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:06 AM   #9
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastGuy View Post
This is generally true, but, for me, regular-season baseball games just feel more important than regular-season basketball and hockey games despite there being twice as many of them.

But that is definitely a major factor in why football is so popular in this country. Every single game feels like a major event.

As far as the MLB schedule goes, I suppose I might move it another week into March and focus early games on places in the South or California or in domed stadiums elsewhere, but I wouldn't make drastic changes to the regular-season schedule. However, the postseason schedule could sure be tightened as there are ... so ... many ... off ... days.
You mean people have short attention spans?
Old 10-25-2019, 02:38 AM   #10
WestCoastGuy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
You mean people have short attention spans?
No, I mean that it changes the nature of the sport as far as things like how many starting pitchers you need to use and the effect of fatigue, and it also pushes the season deeper into the cold-weather time of the year.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:42 AM   #11
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastGuy View Post
No, I mean that it changes the nature of the sport as far as things like how many starting pitchers you need to use and the effect of fatigue, and it also pushes the season deeper into the cold-weather time of the year.
Well, it's not that pitchers are getting tired faster than they used to, it's that teams are spending more money on players and they want to protect their investment. So, baseball may not be as popular as football because football is more of an instant gratification type of sport, but it is still more popular than 1950s era baseball in terms of revenue and international appeal.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:47 AM   #12
WestCoastGuy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
Well, it's not that pitchers are getting tired faster than they used to, it's that teams are spending more money on players and they want to protect their investment. So, baseball may not be as popular as football because football is more of an instant gratification type of sport, but it is still more popular than 1950s era baseball in terms of revenue and international appeal.
Sorry, no, what I was referring to was that the size of the rotations in the postseason are generally a bit smaller than they are in the regular season as compared to seasons in the past when there weren't quite as many off days in the playoffs.

The second point is a good one. Maybe baseball is currently not as popular as football, but baseball today is more popular than baseball was in the 1950s, at least in terms of relative revenue and international appeal.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:03 AM   #13
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Also, NFL revenue is $15B per year vs. $10B for MLB, which is not as much of a difference as some would have you expect.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #14
Reed
All Star Starter

Back in the 50s they did not have all the television revenue they have now. Heck, my parents did not even have a tv until late 50s. Also people did not have disposable money or internet to buy team hats, T-shirts, or to buy OOTP, etc.. I also think in the United States kids were more interested in baseball than they are now. They would rather play some shoot em up video game than go outside and play catch.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #15
pilight
All Star Starter

The regular season is fine. I'd shorten the playoffs. Actually, I'd eliminate the playoffs other than the World Series. Top team in each league goes straight to the series, they it used to be.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #16
WestCoastGuy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
The regular season is fine. I'd shorten the playoffs. Actually, I'd eliminate the playoffs other than the World Series. Top team in each league goes straight to the series, they it used to be.
I'd even settle for two division winners and having just an ALCS and NLCS prior to the World Series. If we had eight-team leagues up until 1960/61, then we can have seven- and eight-team divisions today.

Yes, I know that television, owners, etc., won't allow that, but it's a nice thought.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:13 PM   #17
madjac74
Minors (Double A)

It blows my mind that after 162 games that we still sometimes have ties for division titles. Too many games or too little?

Bottom line is the game is for the fans and mire games give some of us time to plan and save for the 1 or 2 games that we can actually get to/afford each season.
madjac74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #18
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Since I think regular season MLB games are a snooze fest, I would shorten regular season to 140 games from Apr 20 to Sep 20. Also that way less interference with college/pro football. Of course this would never happen because of loss revenue for everyone involved. Oh well, in my OOTP universe I play a 144 game schedule.

I disagree that it lessens the importance of a regular season game. Yes an NFL team can win or lose a few games and the season may be over but in baseball a team cant just be consistent for a month. It's a long season.
But you would not cut a marathon race to 100m.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #19
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
Having fewer games increases the randomness and magnifies the effect of injuries. The Super Bowl winner is far less likely to be the best team in the league than the World Series winner or the NBA Finals winner.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #20
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

I feel it is the amount of teams that make the leagues playoffs that dictate the importance of the season. As much as people may not be on board with the current playoff structure, MLB didn't totally screw it up. They reward the division winners by not having them play the one and done wild card game. They also start the next series two days later giving the home team a rested advantage theoretically. By doing this you place an importance on the regular season. College football does the same with their four team playoff structure. Every week is elimination Saturday. On the other end look at the NHL and NBA. Those leagues let everyone into the playoffs and those are the leagues we hear about having issues with their regular season. I think the NBA was floating an idea about playing two seasons in one or something with a mid season tournament. Don't quote me on the specifics just the intent. As for the NFL, I feel they are perilously close to enlarging their playoff bracket and damaging their already boring regular season. Won't matter for them though because the NFL is a religion of blind faith.

As for the baseball schedule. I would like to get rid of unbalanced schedules. Go back to four divisions. Play your league and see teams outside your division more than twice a year. I guess they would have to expand by 2 teams to do that, but they could also contract and make it work too. Keep the game amount at the 154 or 162 mark to honor the record books.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote