Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 07-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

2015 Phillies: A New Plan

Hello everyone. I just got OOTP 16 last week and I've decided to share my first dynasty attempt. I'm not totally new to OOTP but it's been at least 5 years. I have to say that from what I've seen so far the game is amazing. I was pretty sure that it would be a great game but it has been even better than I hoped. I played through a few seasons with Phils already to see how everything works and decide on some settings. Now it's time to start over with a plan.

Since I'm not a season OOTP vet, I am leaving most settings at their default. The only setting changes I made are to the player ratings scales. I turned off the actual ratings, overall ratings, and overall potential ratings and I set the potential ratings and other ratings to the 20-80 scale.

The manager will control the lineups, depth charts, and pitching staff. The minor league managers will do the same as well as sign and release minor leaguers, and the assistant GM will handle promotions and demotions.

I will probably keep the updates short and sweet.
  • Preseason outlook
  • Amateur draft, international FA, and trade deadline roundup
  • Pennant chase and post-season
  • Offseason FA signings and trades

Also if anything interesting happens or if anyone wants to know about anything going on in this world I'd be happy to update that as well.
shaf34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

And now onto the plan. I decided that I wanted to try to put together a team of players whose skills complement each other, hoping that the whole will be greater than the sum of the individual parts. My plan is to have good defense at every position and then focus on pitchers who have good control and can keep the ball in the ballpark. These pitchers will probably have less stuff so more outs will have to come from balls put into play and hopefully they can flourish with a good defense behind them. I don't know if that's how it will work out but that's what we're going to try. I don't really have a grand plan on offense other than to get as much OBP and HR as I can out of these defensive wizards. I will also probably try to set up at least a couple of platoon situations.

Now that I have a plan, the first order of business will be to fill all coaching positions with coaches who share the same vision.
  • Defensive minded sabremetrician managers or someone who gives me enough control to employ shifts, use L/R splits, and not bunt
  • Finesse pitching coaches
  • Hitting coaches alternating between power and patience
  • A good scout
  • A good trainer
  • And of course, a new assistant GM

Time to clean house!
Old 07-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

Owner expectations

I've decided to leave owner goals on even though it seems as if they are usually going to interfere with my plans. Maybe I can use some of them to keep the owner happy and keep me off the hot seat.

It looks like David Montgomery and I are not really on the same page here.
  1. Playing .500 ball is going to be tough considering I would like to trade off some veterans for prospects.
  2. A SS upgrade is needed but it's going to have to be short term since I plan on having JP Crawford there by 2017-18
  3. Papelbon was probably going to be the first player shipped out of town. Instead I'm supposed to extend a 34 yo closer with two more years on his contract to close games on most likely a non-playoff team.
  4. At least we have resources. Maybe I can take on a bad contract.
  5. This one is made much more difficult by the first four.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

1st official transaction

This one's for you Montgomery.

I needed to cross #4 off the list since Papelbon refuses to sign an extension. As much as I like Ichiro, he doesn't really do anything for this team. Alvarez slots in as the #2 and at 24 yo he fits into our future plans. I didn't like giving up Cozens but you have to give up something and his defense wasn't really going to cut it. Diekman and Ruf weren't part of the future. I'm sure Ryan Howard is happy to take over as the everyday 1B. Neris was the opposite of the type of pitcher we're looking for.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
xepicx2729
Major Leagues

Not so sure about that trade. Ichiro is a one season player, and Alvarez isn't all that great of a pitcher. Ruf brings power without the amount of K's as Howard, and he plays LF. Neris turns into a decent reliever, and Diekman is a dangerous lefty. Cozens is a great prospect, and Pereira, well, not much to say for him.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

May 31st, 2015

I decided to not make many changes at the beginning of the season to see if the team could hover around .500 and keep Montgomery happy. Predictably, things did not go well. This team just doesn't score runs. Chase Utley is among the league leaders in OBP, SLG, and WAR and Cole Hamels is among the leaders in ERA, W, K, BB/9, FIP, and WAR. Hopefully those numbers will increase their trade value. It will be a sad day when they are moved but they need to be on teams competing for the postseason. Papelbon has been removed from the closer role and isn't really happy about it, Ryan Howard has been replaced by AAAA 1B Chris McGuinness, and Cliff Lee had a setback in his recovery and decided to retire.

I replaced most of the staff throughout the system but surprisingly Ryne Sandberg is still the skipper. His appreciation of defense and flexibility with strategy helped him keep his job. My first complaint with this game is how hard it is to search through the available staff. The things I wanted to see weren't on the search screen and as far as I can tell, you can't cycle through them the same way that you can the players.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xepicx2729 View Post
Not so sure about that trade. Ichiro is a one season player, and Alvarez isn't all that great of a pitcher. Ruf brings power without the amount of K's as Howard, and he plays LF. Neris turns into a decent reliever, and Diekman is a dangerous lefty. Cozens is a great prospect, and Pereira, well, not much to say for him.

I don't really like it either. Without owner goals I would never make that trade. I'm not sure how important they are yet but I'm trying to not get fired. He was just the former MVP with the least salary obligation. I tried to swap bad contracts for some of the others but they all exercised no trade rights. Normally I wouldn't be that interested in Alvarez with his low K rate but I wanted to see if he would work in this system once we have a defense behind him. Ruf and Diekman would definitely be useful to me now but I don't think we'll be competitive for a couple seasons and they're 28 already. Trading Cozens hurt but I'm going to stick to this defense-first philosophy until they fire me. I think the biggest problem with this trade is that those assets could have gotten me some more useful pieces for the future.

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad somebody read it.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
xepicx2729
Major Leagues

My pleasure. I see the point now, but it really does hurt. J.P. will turn into a good defender (afaik), so I don't like that goal (McPhail had something to so with THAT one).
Old 07-25-2015, 01:04 AM   #9
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaf34 View Post
I don't really like it either. Without owner goals I would never make that trade. I'm not sure how important they are yet but I'm trying to not get fired. He was just the former MVP with the least salary obligation. I tried to swap bad contracts for some of the others but they all exercised no trade rights. Normally I wouldn't be that interested in Alvarez with his low K rate but I wanted to see if he would work in this system once we have a defense behind him. Ruf and Diekman would definitely be useful to me now but I don't think we'll be competitive for a couple seasons and they're 28 already. Trading Cozens hurt but I'm going to stick to this defense-first philosophy until they fire me. I think the biggest problem with this trade is that those assets could have gotten me some more useful pieces for the future.

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad somebody read it.
I don't really think they are that important. I rarely complete my goals and have been fine.

Like what you've got here so far. Keep it up.
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
I don't really think they are that important. I rarely complete my goals and have been fine.

Like what you've got here so far. Keep it up.
That's good to know since at least 2 of this year's 4 goals will not be met. I think that in the future I will still try to accomplish some of the goals but not go out of my way to complete the ones that may do more harm than good. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

August 1, 2015

Here's a quick recap of the summer news and transactions.
  • Drafted 2B Dansby Swanson with the #7 overall pick in the draft
  • Signed international FA SP Jesus Campolito for $2,680,000
  • Traded Cole Hamels, Jonathan Papelbon, Carlos Ruiz, and Domonic Brown, and cash to the Texas Rangers for prospects RF Nomar Mazara, CF Lewis Brinson, and RF Starling Joseph
  • Traded Chase Utley and Carlos E. Duran to the Royals for SP Christian Binford
  • Traded Jerome Williams to the Dodgers for Jimmy Rollins and cash
  • Traded Andres Blanco to the White Sox for Geovany Soto
  • Signed Chad Billingsley to a 1 year extension for $3.5m
  • Ken Giles (18 SV, 1.80 ERA, 14.7 K/9) was the Phillies lone representative at the All-Star game

The draft was tough with overall potential turned off. The choice in the 1st round came down to Swanson, Daz Cameron, and Kyle Tucker. I went with Swanson over the HS guys because he should be ready sooner and the MLB roster needs some talent soon. I then proceeded to pick teenagers until round 14. 5th round pick Kyle Dean was insulted by my bonus offer and decided to go to college. Real life Phils 1st rounder Cornelius Randolph went to the Rockies in the 9th round. I didn't notice him in the draft pool.

I signed a total of three international FA for just under $3,000,000.

I generally only sell to "Win now!" teams who have a need at the position I'm trading (red/yellow) and I buy from "rebuilding" teams . I also tweak deals that come from shopping a player.

I shopped Hamels and the Rangers were interested. They were in Win now! mode and had needs at C, RF, and RP also. I was really trying to get Alfaro along with Mazara but wasn't quite able to pull it off and had to settle for Brinson and lottery ticket Joseph. The 2nd option was Hamels and Papelbon to the Cardinals for Stephen Piscotty and pitching prospects that I can't remember.

The Royals and Orioles were the only contending teams looking for a 2B. After getting 3 OF in the first deal I decided to focus on pitching. Binford was the most either team was willing to give up.

I shopped Williams and a lot of teams were interested. No one was offering much of course. The owner still wanted an upgrade a SS so I went with Rollins with the Dodgers picking up a chunk of his salary. The Dodgers needed a 5th starter and I guess they wanted to make way at short for Corey Seager. The fans were happy to see Rollins return.

The White Sox wanted to dump Soto and he was better than any of my catchers. My payroll is so low after the other trades that I don't mind paying him to catch for us for the rest of the year.

Billingsley's having a pretty good year and should still be able to hold down a rotation spot next year. I probably cost myself at least $1m by not offering an extension when he first asked for one.

I also signed a bunch of minor league FA because I had a lot of guys playing a level higher than they should. I think that I'm going to take control of the minor league signings and releases. Assistant GM Bill Bavasi will still handle promotions and demotions.

The Phils have the 2nd worst record in baseball right now at 42-62. Time to just let the season run out and then see what we can do in the offseason.

Here's a look at the top 20 prospects. #2 and #9 were picked up in the draft. #8 and #10 were acquired in deadline deals. The system ranks 13th.

Last edited by shaf34; 07-25-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #12
xepicx2729
Major Leagues

Mazara should be a cornerstone in RF. Good deal if you ask me.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xepicx2729 View Post
Mazara should be a cornerstone in RF. Good deal if you ask me.
He should be up soon I hope. He hit pretty well in AA-AAA after coming over.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #14
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

2015 regular season wrap

The Phils showed some fight at the end of the season and ended up tied for the 5th worst record.

The Rangers all-in gamble at the deadline did not pan out as they faded in the 2nd half. Hamels slotted in as the #1 but went 3-10 with a 5.10 ERA, Papelbon pitched to a 4.60 ERA as the new closer, Ruiz platooned at C (65 OPS +), and Brown hit well as a part-time OF and top LH bat off the bench (124 OPS+ with 5 HR).

The Royals got better production out Utley (2.2 WAR in 80 GS) but fell 3 games short of the postseason.

No Phils here but Jonathan Pettibone did tied for the MLB lead with 2 shutouts. Ken Giles tied for 5th with 36 saves. Henderson Alvarez made the leaderboard for the wrong reasons with 17 losses (8th) but he was durable starting 34 games (t-5th). Utley finished 5th in OBP and 8th in wOBA.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

2015 Post-season wrap

• Cardinals defeat Indians 4-2 in World Series
  • Trout (LAA) and Heyward (STL) win MVPs
  • Hernandez (SEA) and Zimmerman (WAS) win Cy Youngs
  • Ken Giles finished 2nd in the NL reliever of the year award
  • Ken Griffey Jr. elected to the HOF (1st year, 97.1%)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:46 AM   #16
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

2016 spring training begins

The 2016 season predictions are out and the prognosticators have the Phillies going 74-88. We are predicted to score the fewest runs and give up the 6th fewest in the league.

Offseason transactions

(contact potential / power potential / eye potential)
(stuff potential / movement potential / control potential)

Latos (60/65/65) is signed to be the ace of the staff. I probably won't like this deal by the end but Montgomery wanted a nationally popular player and I had to bring team interest back up. Zobrist (50/45/60) is a short term solution at 2B. Hopefully Dansby Swanson will be ready by the time this contract ends. Parra (55/40/50) and Gentry (50/25/50) are defensive OF signed to short term deals. My scout seems to like Frias (60/60/60). Anderson (55/55/65) and Wood (55/60/55) should fill out the back of the rotation. I probably only needed to sign one of them but at least I have more SP depth this year. Lok (50/50/45) is a backup corner infielder who can play a lot of positions. Pina (50/50/50) is a backup catcher with good defense. In the future, I'm hoping that I don't need to rely on the FA market very much but I really needed to add some major league caliber talent to the roster.

Asche (60/60/50) and Dugan (50/55/50) weren't worth as much as I had hoped on the trade market. Conger (50/50/55) is signed through 2020 and is coming off an all-star season where he put up 4.7 WAR. Smoak (55/55/60) isn't great but he'll start at 1B and I only gave up a couple young pitchers with control problems. Not much to say about the other trade. Milwaukee offered it up and I said why not.

I also resigned Ichiro to a one year extension for $1m at the behest of owner David Montgomery. He actually had a 126 OPS+ in limited time last year but if this is competitive this season I can't see Ichiro remaining on the active roster for the whole season.

Speaking of Montgomery, here are his goals for 2016

Last edited by shaf34; 07-27-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #17
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

the 2016 season begins

The Phillies had a good spring going 18-8. JP Crawford (.368 BA, .434 OBP) and Nomar Mazara (.657 SLG, 1.056 OPS) had big springs and forced their way onto the major league roster. The preseason predictions now has us finishing at 82-80. The annual top prospects list came out and the Phillies placed 6th with 2B Dansby Swanson (3rd), C Lenin Rodriguez (22nd), and SS JP Crawford (97th) in the top 100.

Let's take a look at where we are in putting a core lineup together:

C - Hank Conger (28) should hold the spot for the next few years. Top prospects Lenin Rodriguez (#3 prospect in org, 18, R) and Deivi Grullon (#7, 20, SA) are a few years away.

1B - Justin Smoak (29) for now. Not a lot of prospect depth here. Luis Barajas (#20, 17, INT), Rhys Hoskins (23, SA), and Luis Encarnacion (18, R) are possibilities for the future.

2B - Ben Zobrist (34) until Dansby Swanson (#1, 22, A) is ready. Jesmuel Valentin (#13, 21, AA) will probably end up being traded.

3B - Maikel Franco (23) hopefully will man the hot corner for years to come.

SS - JP Crawford (21) will should team with Franco for years on the left side of the infield.

LF - Gerardo Parra (28), Ben Revere (27), and Logan Schafer (29) will fight over this spot for now. Not a lot of prospects here. This spot will need to be addressed in FA or by trade.

CF - Craig Gentry (32) and Odubel Herrera (24) are battling for this spot right now. Looking for one of Lewis Brinson (#18, 21, AA), Aaron Altherr (25, AAA), Roman Quinn (22, AAA), or Carlos Tocci (20, A) to develop and take over this spot. May look to make someone from this group a LF.

RF - Nomar Mazara (20) should be in this spot for a while.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #18
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

May 31, 2016

Just a real quick update after two months. The Phils are 24-24 and only 2.5 games behind the Marlins in the possibly winnable NL East.

I'll have more after the trade deadline.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #19
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

August 1, 2016

I had to make a decision at the deadline with the team at 46-52, 5 gb in the NL east, and 7.5 gb in the wild card. One good hot steak could put us in the race but more likely we were going to be lucky to finish .500. I went with selling off some older pieces and hopefully getting ready for a run next season. Here is a roundup of the summer transactions.
  • Drafted LF Kyle Dean (19, 50/70/50) with the 6th pick in the draft
  • Signed international FA SP Luis Cedeno (16, 40/65/65) for $1.56M
  • Traded 2B Ben Zobrist (35, 50/45/60), CF Craig Gentry (32, 50/25/50), CF Aaron Brown (24, 50/50/40), 3B Jake Sweaney (21, 60/40/55), and SP Mario Holland (27, 50/55/55) to the Indians for LF Bradley Zimmer (23, 55/50/50) and cash
  • Traded SP Chad Billingsley (32, 60/60/55) and cash to the Blue Jays for RP Starlyn Suriel (22, 40/50/60), RP Jose M. Fernandez (23, 50/50/60), RP Chase De Jong (22, 50/55/55), and RP Edrick Agosto (19, 55/60/50)
  • Traded LF Ben Revere (28, 60/20/40), LF Darren Ford (30, 40/35/50) and cash to the Royals for SP Niklas Stephenson (22, 50/50/45)
  • Traded RP Travis Wood (29, 55/55/55) and cash to the Tigers for RP Alfred Gutierrez (21, 55/55/55)
  • CL Ken Giles (16 SV, 2.75 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, 15.0 K/9, +0.9 WAR) and SS JP Crawford (.323/.365/.507, 9 HR, 14 SB, 146 wRC+, 4.0 WAR) made the all-star game

We drafted Dean last year in the 5th round but couldn't sign him. This year his demands were much lower. No pick until the 4th where we took HS C Ryan Orr (17, 50/75/70 65 def). Those two picks signed well under slot so I gave a big bonus to 5th round impossible sign SS Tyler Malone (18, 45/65/55). He signed for a $4M bonus. I don't know if that's too much but I've tried seven figure bonuses in the past with no success.

Signed only 3 international FA and stayed under $3M again. We were in on a few other but the bidding got out of control and this was before I decided to trade a few veterans so money was tight.

The Indians are in Win now! and needed a 2B. Zobrist wasn't really hitting (94 OPS+) but had still put up 1.9 WAR because of his defense. The Indians also had a desperate need in CF and Gentry is having a good season (101, 1.5 in 241 PA). Zimmer is now the Phils #3 prospect and will hopefully fill the system's LF void.

I tried for a top 20 prospect from the Blue Jays but it wasn't happening. Instead I picked a few RP prospects because we are thin at every level at that position. I think that we have a few young pitchers in AAA ready to fill this spot.

I don't think that Revere is going to be worth what I was going to have to pay him in arbitration and I was able to get a back end of the top 20 SP from the Royals.

I shopped Wood and the Tigers were the only interested team. I just picked some RP with reasonable looking potentials.

Since it looks like we're still rebuilding, here's a look at the tpo 20 prospects. #3 and #14 were acquired in deadline deals. #6, #13, and #20 were drafted in June. Griffin was a 14th rounder and Ashcraft was a 6th rounder. Vainer was a 16th rounder in the 2015 draft.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #20
shaf34
Minors (Triple A)

2016 regular season wrap

Even though the Phillies were never over .500 in the second half of the season, we did manage to get within 3 games of the NL east lead in early September.

Cole Hamels (16-10, 4.39 ERA, 4.1 WAR) helped lead the Rangers to the AL west crown. Carlos Ruiz is currently the backup C (129 OPS+, 0.8 WAR, 90 PA)

Chase Utley (128 OPS+, 1.7 WAR, 369 PA) and the Royals fell 6 games short in the AL central after ending the season on a 7 game losing streak. Ben Revere (151 OPS+, 0.7 WAR, 4 SB, 56 PA) was good in a limited role.

Ben Zobrist (124 OPS+, 1.5 WAR, 184 PA) caught fire after a move to the AL and helped 83-win Cleveland win the AL central. Craig Gentry (26 OPS+, -0.5 WAR, 102 PA) struggled as the backup CF.

Chad Billingley (6-4, 3.71 ERA, 1.0 WAR, 80.0 IP) was solid for the Blue Jays and Jesse Biddle (3.52 ERA, 9.2 K/9, 4.2 BB/9, 1.2 WAR, 111.0 IP) ended the season as the #3 starter.

Travis Wood (3.14 ERA, -0.1 WAR, 14.1 IP) was used sparingly in the Tigers bullpen.

Cody Asche (140 OPS+, 5.4 WAR, 28 HR, 646 PA) was the Astros starting 3B and Kelly Dugan (111 OPS+, 0.2 WAR, 61 PA) backed up at the corner OF spots and 1B after hitting 17 HR and putting up 3.1 in AAA. Perhaps I should have tried one of them at 1B. Cesar Jimenez (5.05 ERA, -0.5 WAR, 67.2 IP) was roughed up in their bullpen.

Maikel Franco finished 8th in MLB in AVG (.307), 6th in SLG (.532), t-6th in 2B (44), t-4th in XBH (75), and 7th in TB (314). Mat Latos tied for the league lead in shutouts (4). Henderson Alvarez was 6th in HR/9 (0.48), 3rd in BB/9 (1.28), t-8th in GS (34) and SHO (1)

Last edited by shaf34; 07-28-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Added Phillies leaders