Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
BradC
All Star Starter

Game 7 - We simmed it 10 times

And, of course, I wrote about it. Enjoy:

We?ve Simmed Game 7 and We?re Still Calling it For the Royals
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
philthepat

If we get anything close to some of those sims tonight, its going to be epic!
philthepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
So you're saying there's a chance?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Trebro
All Star Reserve

And if any of our sim panelists got the prediction right, you'll hear about it on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!

Or not.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panelpatter View Post
And if any of our sim panelists got the prediction right, you'll hear about it on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!

Or not.
Wow...Panelpatter with panel patter.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Guess you forgot to put Madison Bumgarner in the SF bullpen and set the strategy for Super Duper Lightning Quick Hook.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Madison Bumgarner...WOW! I wonder what his OOTP ratings would be if we just took his PLAYOFF stats.

The announcers were mentioning him in the same breath as Cy Young, Christy Mathewson and of course Sandy "show me the" Koufax.

Is Bumgarner a hall of famer now just because of his world series stats?

There will be LOTS of discussion on this during the rest of this kid's career...and being only 25...he has a LOT of baseball left in him.

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl518 View Post
The announcers were mentioning him in the same breath as Cy Young, Christy Mathewson and of course Sandy "show me the" Koufax.
They also mentioned him in the same breath as immortals George Mullin and C.J. Wilson. Hyperbole and Small Sample Size Alert!

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot Jack Billingham too. I think he was the closest WS ERA with 3+ starts.

Last edited by TribeFanInNC; 10-30-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Might want to sim it a couple more times.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Terrible script. The bad guys won.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
The announcers are crazy
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Not knocking Bumgarner at all by saying that, he's very impressive. But he's not Sandy Koufax or Christy Matthewson, not even close. Not yet.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
hfield007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Is Bumgarner a hall of famer now just because of his world series stats?
No. That would be foolish.

I've loved this guy since his rookie year (when I actually rooted for the Giants in the post season.) But unless he pitches five more high quality regular seasons minimum i'd have a hard time seeing him getting in through the regular ballot.

One of my favorite things about the HoF vote is the 5 year wait even after retirement. And it is to avoid stuff like this where we tend to get too high on what just happened. Schilling isn't in yet and just lost 9% of his vote last year, he had 10 seasons with a higher WAR than Bumgarner's career high and tossed 45 more post season innings with similar results.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
BradC
All Star Starter

Actually, I did, and after the first 2 or 3 sims, I changed both teams' strategy settings to quicker hooks for their starters and bullpen pitchers, but it didn't seem to make a major difference. Bumgarner did enter a few of the sims in relief, though, and actually blew a couple games, so he was there. (And one guy on Twitter sent me a lengthy critique of the sims, telling me this wouldn't have happened, or that wouldn't have happened. He felt I should have controlled both teams, but I didn't have the time for that, nor did I want to try to guess what Bochy and Yost would do. Better that people second-guess the AI than me. )

And I thought for a couple minutes there Bumgarner might blow it last night, and I could say, "Hey, OOTP was right!" Ah well. Still, we initially said the series would last 7 games and would be really close, and it was, even though most of the games had wider margins of victory than we expected.

I will definitely refine this for next year. Markus said that there is a "big game" aspect of the AI in OOTP, so it knows how to treat playoff games, but that part of the code isn't used in exhibition games and in the sim module. However, he said he could add that to those parts of the game as an option, so you can set up an exhibition game to mimic a Game 7, or sim an entire series in the module and have the game treat it like a playoff. (And it would be an option, so you could also just run an exhibition game like a regular exhibition game, or sim a regular series in the module.)

I added a PT for that, so maybe it will be in OOTP 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
Guess you forgot to put Madison Bumgarner in the SF bullpen and set the strategy for Super Duper Lightning Quick Hook.

Last edited by BradC; 10-30-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #15
BradC
All Star Starter

Also, yeah, this talk of Bumgarner being a Hall of Famer just based on his World Series stats is silly. He needs to spend more time being great all the time. And, yes, he has been great in the regular season too the last few years -- he just needs several more years of that before anyone talks HoF. Of course, it's easy to say such things in the heat of the moment.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #16
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Actually, I did, and after the first 2 or 3 sims...
Hmm..I guess the fact that quick hook didn't really help much isn't too surprising. It's hard to expect the AI to really go full Game 7, everyone is available mode. That is a good idea to PT though.

Yeah, I see the Bumgarner refs now too (didn't have time to fully read the outcomes this morning). Ironic he didn't fare as well as some mythical merging of Cy Young, Christy Mathewson, Sandy Koufax, and Jack Billingham...
Old 10-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #17
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
Then again, if OOTP did that, we'd never hear the end of it.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #18
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Two of his ten age 24 comps are in the HoF. Two more will be once they are done. If he continues pitching at this current level, he might end up with a lifetime record of 280-170 with 3500 strikeouts. He's got three rings already, and a decade or so to earn some trophies.

The question remains...can he keep taking the ball every 5th day? If so, I presume he will go far.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #19
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I don't think "greatest world series pitcher in history" is a consolation prize, even if he never did anything ever again.

They should've sent Gordon tho.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #20
BradC
All Star Starter

As I noted, OOTP did put Bumgarner in the game in a few of the sims. It also put Shields in a few times, but I think they were the only starters used in relief, I assume because OOTP looked at its relief options, saw highly rated starters, and decided to use them over relief pitchers when it could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakDragon View Post
Then again, if OOTP did that, we'd never hear the end of it.