Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:48 PM   #841
HiDesertAce
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
I mean, if you let it be...takes two to tango on a sale. You can pay more to avoid the work of refreshing/waiting. Or you can pay less and work a bit harder at it. To each their own.

Luckily for guys like me who are unwilling to pay out the nose, there is a very finite number of guys like you that are.

My enjoyment of the game has gone up since i stopped working the AH.

I am willing to pay up for a card to complete a mission rather than having to live on the AH refreshing the search button.

HiDesertAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #842
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

150 packs? nice, there is a 0.00214 chance of opening up one of the needed historic diamonds from that!
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #843
pgjocki
All Star Starter

6 packs in and the best card so far is a 93 Bernie Carbo.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:26 AM   #844
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Just snagged my 97 Bob Gibson for 32K. lol. Didn't think I'd get it that quickly after all this hand-wringing. The auction had been up for about 35 minutes judging by the ~23h25min remaining. I must've checked that it was the 97 version about five times before clicking.

In total, I paid out 169,328 PP to complete all 10 Cardinals missions. Of course that's a net figure after selling all of the SE reward cards except for Harry Brecheen (he's legit). It's also pending the sale of SE Ken Boyer who isn't selling really well and also possibly the 96 SE Keith Hernandez. I might want to keep that one, too. If I sell both of those cards, then it's probably about 130K for both 100 Ozzie and SE Harry Brecheen.

Mission accomplished.
Attached Images

Last edited by waittilnextyear; 11-08-2019 at 02:37 AM.
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:07 AM   #845
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
6 packs in and the best card so far is a 93 Bernie Carbo.
You could do worse than that

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #846
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
Just snagged my 97 Bob Gibson for 32K. lol. Didn't think I'd get it that quickly after all this hand-wringing. The auction had been up for about 35 minutes judging by the ~23h25min remaining. I must've checked that it was the 97 version about five times before clicking.

In total, I paid out 169,328 PP to complete all 10 Cardinals missions. Of course that's a net figure after selling all of the SE reward cards except for Harry Brecheen (he's legit). It's also pending the sale of SE Ken Boyer who isn't selling really well and also possibly the 96 SE Keith Hernandez. I might want to keep that one, too. If I sell both of those cards, then it's probably about 130K for both 100 Ozzie and SE Harry Brecheen.

Mission accomplished.
Great job! Patience pays off.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #847
Caliking
Minors (Rookie Ball)

patiently (actually pretty imaptient...driving me nuts) waiting on Dodgers Mission. Im going batty LOL, I need help. Perfect (meaning mass upgrade to current availables) Drysdale, Pee Wee, Snider, Jackie (another one?), or maybe even a super pumped Wheat?

Last edited by Caliking; 11-09-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Caliking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:42 AM   #848
Catchthedamnball
Minors (Double A)

125k/175k Hoot on the market now. Have at it.

Catchthedamnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #849
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Expos Missions Completed

I've been trying to finish the Expos Missions since early September, when I had decided to do a bunch of the missions that had a Diamond Pack as part of the reward. Even though I remember going to Olympic Stadium in Montreal when I was a kid, I didn't know many Expos outside of the more famous guys (Vlad Sr, Gary Carter, Marquis Grissom, Tim Raines). Ironically, the one Expo I really do like, Warren Cromartie, isn't even on one of the two Expos Missions. Cromartie wrote the compelling memoir, Slugging It Out in Japan. (He was fined 50,000 yen for thinking a ball was a home run and trotting on home from third when in reality it was a long fly out and he had to race back to base so as not to be doubled up.)

I finished the Expos Early Years mission after about a month. I was aided in that I pulled SPs Dan Warthen and Joe Hesketh in Spring. Warthen was actually in that bonus Gold pack you got when you bought the game when it launched. Total outlay was 16168 PP with 7430 of it going to SP Joe Hesketh. Hesketh is on my team in Perfect League as a converted RP where he performs at a +1 WAR. In our PL WS appearance, he did not allow a home run in 61 IP. Considering his MOV is 63 that was a total outlier and this past season pitched 95.1 innings with an 4.81 ERA, 1.51 WHIP, and a 9.9 K/9 (to go with with 5.7 BB/9). He allowed 12 home runs and finished with a record of 4-3 to go with his 1 save.

The reward card was an 85 SE Rusty Staub. As much as I like Staub from his days as a Met, he never saw my Active rosters. But he never went into the AH. So he lays there in the Reserve Roster along with other SE cards, waiting for maybe an Active Roster spot on a tournament team. Side note: I've only sold a SE Reward Card once (SE Dave Stieb) and I've regretted it ever since, even though I'm pretty sure Stieb performed poorly for me in Perfect.

Around the same time I completed The Early Years (middle of October), I also had 14 out of the 15 cards needed for The Final Years. Missing was 90 Vlad Sr and 97 Pedro Martinez. I knew I wanted Pedro, even though I had a 90 BOS Pedro from The Cursebreakers Collection (Red Sox edition) mission. Besides, getting 90 Vlad would only unlock 98 Vlad, the reward card for finishing both Expos missions. I had two or three chances to get 90 Vlad and passed up on each, because while 97 Pedro was rare, it wasn't Freehan rare. Maybe 97 Pedro has the same rarity as 91 Hiller? Of course, Hiller's the much more prized bird. I did see 97 Pedro on the market once in October and I simply did not have the funds. That's one of my problems: it's hard for me to sit on a pile of PP. It's much, much more easy to start up another mission.

Late last night, November 9, Pedro Martinez appeared on the market. Its kind of like when a Red-headed Woodpecker appears hovering around your backyard feeder: you kind of just drop everything and rush to get your phone to snap a picture before it flies away. He had a BIN of 36999 which I think was a few K above the AVG7. I only had 32K, which I put it all in.

Within minutes, I got overbid so I started emptying out my reserve roster. Who should go? What was this Harry Walker doing here? He's up for a 1K BIN and he goes quickly, part of me thinking, maybe I should I have set the BIN higher? But no, time is money here. Time is Pedro. Who else? What's this SP Bill Callahan? How did I get that guy? Looks like a semi-valuable gold card. BIN for 3999 and, after an anxious 45 minutes or so, he goes giving me just enough funds. I hit the BIN button for Pedro, and because it's Saturday night and my staying up nights are over, I turn off the computer and go to sleep.

This Sunday morning, my Xenos out of the playoffs but with an 82-80 record due to a +8 PYTHAG differential to belie my -70 run differential, I officially completed the Expos Missions.

The details:

16168: The Early Years (Hesketh went for 7430)
47085: The Final Years (Martinez went for 36999)

63253 total

Summation:

From a PP standpoint, depending on your level of risk tolerance (remember that Diamond Pack), it's really not worth it. 98 Vlad goes for about 25k-30k and the only usable cards in Perfect are 97 Martinez and, to some extent, 90 Hesketh. I'm sure I could have purchased a solid PL performer for the PP I spent on either or both. But, as usually with the missions I complete, it was fun. It is about the journey and the hunt.

But wait, what about the Diamond Pack? Ah ... the Diamond Pack with so much juicy potential. I had some good luck with the few Diamond Packs rewards (92 Molina, All-Star Bregnman, 96 McGwire - both Cards making it to All-Star games in Perfect) but I've also known the vast disappointment at pulling a Live 90 Woodruff.

Anyway, I pulled Live 98 Verlander with his sub-40 MOV. The one Verlander in my perfect league just went 8-16 with 2.3 HR/9, but, looking at his history, he did have one or two winning season. Eh ... into the breach!

Last edited by Renfro; 11-10-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #850
traveller79
Minors (Rookie Ball)

For the past month I've had success running a half dozen or so team missions in parallel. Check the market several times a day and try to snag bronze/silver/<2k golds for below-market prices where they present themselves while retaining enough liquidity to snag an affordable bottleneck diamond if it happens to appear. Also had some success maintaining liquidity by relisting bottleneck golds that I needed anyway for 2k+ higher than market; allows you to turn a reliable profit while using less patient buyers and whales as a resource for your team.

Thought snagging the Rangers ARod for 10k would be my coup of the week, but then this this gem dropped into my lap yesterday. It can happen to you!
Attached Images

Last edited by traveller79; 11-10-2019 at 09:23 PM.
traveller79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:33 PM   #851
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Markus kept his finger on the dusty baker button for too long this weekend
Attached Images
Old 11-11-2019, 01:38 AM   #852
Argonaut
All Star Starter

I imagine dkgo is the guy who re-listed Dusty for 120k. Wish I could get one, but I'm checking the AH less and less these days.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #853
emilempenza
Minors (Double A)

Genuine question; Does bronze Starling Marte actually exist? Seems insane that he is all that stands between me completing the Pirates, but apparently he's rarer than all the diamonds and golds!

EDIT- AS if on cue, Marte turns up! (that's always how these things work!)

Last edited by emilempenza; 11-11-2019 at 11:41 AM.
emilempenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #854
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
I imagine dkgo is the guy who re-listed Dusty for 120k. Wish I could get one, but I'm checking the AH less and less these days.
I've already done the Braves collection, gotta pay for that Bob Gibson and John Hiller somehow.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #855
Catchthedamnball
Minors (Double A)

Pulled gold Conforto today, and then quicksold him for another pack before realizing he's part of the Mets live mission.

Catchthedamnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #856
Caedus
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro View Post
I've been trying to finish the Expos Missions since early September, when I had decided to do a bunch of the missions that had a Diamond Pack as part of the reward. Even though I remember going to Olympic Stadium in Montreal when I was a kid, I didn't know many Expos outside of the more famous guys (Vlad Sr, Gary Carter, Marquis Grissom, Tim Raines). Ironically, the one Expo I really do like, Warren Cromartie, isn't even on one of the two Expos Missions. Cromartie wrote the compelling memoir, Slugging It Out in Japan. (He was fined 50,000 yen for thinking a ball was a home run and trotting on home from third when in reality it was a long fly out and he had to race back to base so as not to be doubled up.)

I finished the Expos Early Years mission after about a month. I was aided in that I pulled SPs Dan Warthen and Joe Hesketh in Spring. Warthen was actually in that bonus Gold pack you got when you bought the game when it launched. Total outlay was 16168 PP with 7430 of it going to SP Joe Hesketh. Hesketh is on my team in Perfect League as a converted RP where he performs at a +1 WAR. In our PL WS appearance, he did not allow a home run in 61 IP. Considering his MOV is 63 that was a total outlier and this past season pitched 95.1 innings with an 4.81 ERA, 1.51 WHIP, and a 9.9 K/9 (to go with with 5.7 BB/9). He allowed 12 home runs and finished with a record of 4-3 to go with his 1 save.

The reward card was an 85 SE Rusty Staub. As much as I like Staub from his days as a Met, he never saw my Active rosters. But he never went into the AH. So he lays there in the Reserve Roster along with other SE cards, waiting for maybe an Active Roster spot on a tournament team. Side note: I've only sold a SE Reward Card once (SE Dave Stieb) and I've regretted it ever since, even though I'm pretty sure Stieb performed poorly for me in Perfect.

Around the same time I completed The Early Years (middle of October), I also had 14 out of the 15 cards needed for The Final Years. Missing was 90 Vlad Sr and 97 Pedro Martinez. I knew I wanted Pedro, even though I had a 90 BOS Pedro from The Cursebreakers Collection (Red Sox edition) mission. Besides, getting 90 Vlad would only unlock 98 Vlad, the reward card for finishing both Expos missions. I had two or three chances to get 90 Vlad and passed up on each, because while 97 Pedro was rare, it wasn't Freehan rare. Maybe 97 Pedro has the same rarity as 91 Hiller? Of course, Hiller's the much more prized bird. I did see 97 Pedro on the market once in October and I simply did not have the funds. That's one of my problems: it's hard for me to sit on a pile of PP. It's much, much more easy to start up another mission.

Late last night, November 9, Pedro Martinez appeared on the market. Its kind of like when a Red-headed Woodpecker appears hovering around your backyard feeder: you kind of just drop everything and rush to get your phone to snap a picture before it flies away. He had a BIN of 36999 which I think was a few K above the AVG7. I only had 32K, which I put it all in.

Within minutes, I got overbid so I started emptying out my reserve roster. Who should go? What was this Harry Walker doing here? He's up for a 1K BIN and he goes quickly, part of me thinking, maybe I should I have set the BIN higher? But no, time is money here. Time is Pedro. Who else? What's this SP Bill Callahan? How did I get that guy? Looks like a semi-valuable gold card. BIN for 3999 and, after an anxious 45 minutes or so, he goes giving me just enough funds. I hit the BIN button for Pedro, and because it's Saturday night and my staying up nights are over, I turn off the computer and go to sleep.

This Sunday morning, my Xenos out of the playoffs but with an 82-80 record due to a +8 PYTHAG differential to belie my -70 run differential, I officially completed the Expos Missions.

The details:

16168: The Early Years (Hesketh went for 7430)
47085: The Final Years (Martinez went for 36999)

63253 total

Summation:

From a PP standpoint, depending on your level of risk tolerance (remember that Diamond Pack), it's really not worth it. 98 Vlad goes for about 25k-30k and the only usable cards in Perfect are 97 Martinez and, to some extent, 90 Hesketh. I'm sure I could have purchased a solid PL performer for the PP I spent on either or both. But, as usually with the missions I complete, it was fun. It is about the journey and the hunt.

But wait, what about the Diamond Pack? Ah ... the Diamond Pack with so much juicy potential. I had some good luck with the few Diamond Packs rewards (92 Molina, All-Star Bregnman, 96 McGwire - both Cards making it to All-Star games in Perfect) but I've also known the vast disappointment at pulling a Live 90 Woodruff.

Anyway, I pulled Live 98 Verlander with his sub-40 MOV. The one Verlander in my perfect league just went 8-16 with 2.3 HR/9, but, looking at his history, he did have one or two winning season. Eh ... into the breach!
I've been using 92 Steve Rogers from the Montreal collection on one of my teams in PT for the past 20 seasons and while he's no star he consistently puts up between 2 and 4 WAR in my pitching staff, which is about the same as 97 Pedro Martinez. And Rogers is also much more consistent than Martinez, who will put up a 3.00 ERA one season and a 5+ ERA the next, while Rogers is almost always between 3.00 and 4.00 ERA.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:43 AM   #857
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

Finally finished the Wade Davis Royals mission, been looking to get the 96 Greinke for a reasonable price forever, got him for 50k. Every other time I saw him on the market he was sold for 80+ k.

I'm also not too far off to finish the Royals collection, that will be my 2nd one after the Mariners.

F2P Team
dancariaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:56 AM   #858
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

The more I consider it, the more I am against collection rewards being available as tournament rewards. Collections were already becoming a frustrating afterthought for most people, and now there is another alternate path to them that avoids that frustration (and doesn't require points, as the AH alternate does).

I am fine with offering cards as rewards, either in packs or the specific cards themselves. In fact, offering specific cards could really help the game by reducing the rarity of certain cards - especially those extremely rare bottlenecks. However, I believe that the tournament rewards should be normal cards (preferably non-live).

This game is built around competition. It is optimized for using a small amount of cards, not for having a lot of them. Card collecting is an afterthought, as this game certainly doesn't incentivize it and in some cases (I'm looking at you, Inactive Management Screen) actually penalizes it.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #859
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

It's raining Earl Averills on the auction house today!

Dusty Baker sold for 120K. Absurd.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #860
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
The more I consider it, the more I am against collection rewards being available as tournament rewards. Collections were already becoming a frustrating afterthought for most people, and now there is another alternate path to them that avoids that frustration (and doesn't require points, as the AH alternate does).

I am fine with offering cards as rewards, either in packs or the specific cards themselves. In fact, offering specific cards could really help the game by reducing the rarity of certain cards - especially those extremely rare bottlenecks. However, I believe that the tournament rewards should be normal cards (preferably non-live).

This game is built around competition. It is optimized for using a small amount of cards, not for having a lot of them. Card collecting is an afterthought, as this game certainly doesn't incentivize it and in some cases (I'm looking at you, Inactive Management Screen) actually penalizes it.
I agree. I want the rewards for big tournaments to be heaps of diamond packs. We need more diamonds out there.

Also, I'm just gonna say that giving out a SE Ozzie (500K card) for first place compared to an All-Star Grandal (maybe 10K?) for second when it is really just a coin flip is a pretty insane swing. If I was in those finals I would want to negotiate a chop somehow

Last edited by dkgo; 11-12-2019 at 09:51 AM.