Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 07-09-2019, 01:46 AM   #1
JDOldSchool
Hall Of Famer

OOTP 17 ---> OOTP 20, what do I need to know?

I usually get a new OOTP every other year, but I lapsed and so now I have a couple editions between the one I currently play (17) and the newest version.

So, for those who have played the games over the past few years, what are some of the biggest changes, new features, removed features, etc.? I know each year's game has a list of new stuff, but I'm gonna be jumping ahead 3 versions here.

Should also add that I have a fictional league that just finished its 100th season, so I'll be switching over for season 101. (I know I have to go 17 -> 18 -> 19 -> 20). Not sure that makes a difference, but I won't be starting a new league from scratch. I also don't play historical/real life leagues, so not really concerned with any new features in that regard.
JDOldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i had a 100+ season i tried to carry-over and it ran for 8 hours and wrote a 12 gb temp file, lol. i can't recall how many 'records' the ticker showed while it ran.. .500k? 1million?

anyway, maybe it was a glitch at that time, but you may need to run it overnight or something.... thrice 17-18-19-20

if 3d wasn't in the game with 17, that's a big addition. Even if it was, it's been improved each year since. Most of the new stuff is 'perfect team' and other online-related to give some sort of competition against other players, while not being able to play head-to-head directly.

they've added exit velocity and some other details like that too, as you'd expect. a few more layers each year.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #3
JDOldSchool
Hall Of Famer

The last time I converted (15 -> 16 -> 17), my league had to be 90-95 seasons in. I don't recall it taking NEARLY that long.

I'll keep the possible long conversion time in mind though.

Sounds like not too many major changes to the way I play (solo fictional because I'm a loner with an imagination), which I suppose is good!
JDOldSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i may have to retry. maybe something odd happened. i ended up playing ootp18 through 19's release 90% of the time.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
battists
Hall Of Famer

It's hard to remember exactly what has changed, but if you play out games, there's no doubt the animations during game play have improved a thousand times over since 17, if they even existed back then.

Scouting, I believe, has changed a number of times.

Obviously, if your plan is to continue your franchise this won't matter, but Perfect Team has been a big addition for fans of that game mode.

Just a few thoughts for someone who hasn't been playing all that much lately.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the animations were a massive new ad. If you're a Gen Xer you might have played Microleague or Earl Weaver Baseball when you were a kid; now the game feels like a souped-up version of that when you're playing out games (which is a very, very good thing!). That's definitely a feature I didn't realize that I needed until I got it.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Stay back on 17...lol
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote