Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
tejdog1
All Star Starter

What determines attendance?

And why the heck am I not selling out every single home game?
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Maybe your ticket price is too high?
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
tejdog1
All Star Starter

It's been consistently set to $35 for 5-6 years.
I've perenially won 110+ games, won 8 titles in 13 seasons. Payroll's been going up, I've kept most of my homegrown superstars.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
Number4
Major Leagues

1.5 million per game is good revenue imo.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

"And why the heck am I not selling out every single home game?"

Maybe because its cold some days?
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

any anecdotal stuff is likely based on 54.2k stadium.

If you want max attendance and max ticket price while doing it, it takes a bit of a hand-tailored approach. the basis of ticket price is from loyalty and interest etc. that determines the range, but you can determine where in that range by do these things (assumes winning team, somethings will be the opposite for a poorly performing team or maybe simply not occur):

as you go through the season, the max ticket you can get for the same attendance (roughly) goes up ... whether slowly and continuously or in steps i'm not sure.. possibly a combination of both. However, it is definitely tied to winpct or # of wins.

So, how you amass those wins can influence how quickly you can charge more and get full attendance (more $$$). a hotstreak to begin the season will net a greater increase in income than having that hotstreak later in the year (= time lost to charge more). so even in seasons that seem similar in results, you may have a slightly different attendance turnout.

at the beginning of the year, ticket prices are always lower than what you can charge later in the year. it'll start at roughly what price for season tickets that sell ~50% of capacity to sellout a game (except opening day). by june or july you can charage more. once you start learning how far you can escalate your season ticket prices, i'd suggst using those high-water marks as your season ticket price -> More $$$ / season (or use a bit of calculus with enough info to know the optimum price per context (winning? loyalty? etc).

weekends and weekdays are different... if you see for about 44-48k out of 54.2k on monday, you'll likely sellout fri-sun -- to give a real example from a solid memory. it's probably proportional, so work with %. (52+k being a "sellout" for me)

So, learn 2 pricing models per win/winpct relative to time of year and apply to weekdays and weekends -> more $$$/yr.

if not an online league you can peak at what your ticket price will result in by opening a game and then canceling it. the attendance is shown on that screen. i only suggest this as a learning tool. it's a pain and not worth bothering over, otherwise... barring ocd. it will range quite a bit if itls 80-90% or less.... and less so the closer you get to selling out. you can see when you hit a point and it goes from ~max to +/- ~2000 and down from there.

Season tickets, side note: charge more than you think... it doesn't really effect attendance, at least not to the extend that i have tested... if i go from 32 -> low 40's by end of year, i will typically get 16-18k / 54.2 for that high-point price. i know it's more net income than the price for ~half sellout, but not necessarily all points in between or beyond.... plus you have to consider that versus what you are charging (avg) over the course of the season ... maximizing that is the ultimate goal. when winning, you don't want to be losing $X /ticket sold for 50% of your stadium, because you pulled your pants down to sell the season tickets. sell them for the high-water marks for good years or even higher!!, when you expect to win.

so, it's not just about maximizing season ticket income... it has to be relative to the other piece of the pie, too.

i might hypothesize that on a very poor team you want to do the opposite of what i am suggesting due to this fact... it's better to get some attendance for cheaper if you weren't going to have it at all. so, you price your Season Tickets to cover the seats that you cannot sell i the season and therefor should reach a near max capacity? whether that's optimum incom is another question.

if you can ony sell 20k/40k, then try selling season tickets to be 3/4 of the capacity... likely cheaper than opening day. if you can get max cap that way, it may offset the loss of margin.

but, if that doesn't result in greater attendance in the reg season, it will do nothing but hurt your income... and at that point should try to charge more for season tickets, since you'll reach the same sub-sellout level of attendance either way with a bad team.

season ticket v regular season - 2 independent variables.. easy to work with, if you care to.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-26-2017 at 10:18 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:05 AM   #7
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

I just keep my ticket prices low. Low ticket prices = guaranteed fan attendance if you've are doing marginally okay. It's better to have, 47,500 fans coming to your game paying $25 instead of 25,000 paying $35

Plays legit baseball now. My OOTP ratings are low.

2022 update: I'm two stars!
TuckerDuckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:31 AM   #8
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I still wish the owner (AI) would be responsible for setting ticket prices. I'm not sure this is something people in baseball operations handle. Plus, you then can't take advantage of the system.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

"Rather Big" and "Great" for Size and Loyalty.
Have you looked at the schedule to see who they are skipping?
The game is kindof modeling Atlanta Braves fans in the 90's.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerDuckson View Post
I just keep my ticket prices low. Low ticket prices = guaranteed fan attendance if you've are doing marginally okay. It's better to have, 47,500 fans coming to your game paying $25 instead of 25,000 paying $35
*just realized i don't use revenue sharing on ticket revenue* more for previous statements on t his topic than this reply. that's not default and some small effects.

If your concern is only attendance - that is a great strategy. i do love simple / low maintenance. If you don't want an extra 20-40M in revenue, then none of this will matter to you, however, it's still useful for others.

despite the math you show, you are leaving income on the table. in many instances that's pretty important to running a team in the video game. (fyi: in some years $35 will also be max capacity, not half full as in your example)

how would you use an extra 20-40M in revenue?

guesstimate: in 'better' stretches of years you should be able to reach ~130-140M with that stadium in gate and season ticket revenue while maintaining max capacity. (educated guess relative to my stadium size)

If you are a super team winning 120+/yr and more every year, then you can make ~180+M off that stadium. (at some point you can get ticket prices as high as ~$45-50 for the avereage season and gate price.)

The more rational revenue total is likely 20-40M above what you make at $25 a ticket in a season. if not, then you know it's not worth the effort.

($25 is 100M in that stadium? without revenue sharing) revenue = wins
Old 03-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #11
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Never occurred to me to change ticket prices during the season. Seems gamey though.

I have market size set to below average and owner to charitable. I can't spend all the money the owner gives me and besides as a personal goal want to do well without the biggest payroll.

Maybe its the era. I started the game in 66 and I'm in 78 now.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

check baselines for attendance and ticket prices... rev sharing? that will tell you immediately if it's the year... even after you import a year, you can then make some adjustments to it... just realize you'll have to re-do those hand-done adjustments anytime you import a historical year

(i don't play historical,. i'd even check back after Jan 1? and make sure the following year is as you want -- only if it deviates at all from teh historical import settings, of course) will it auto-import the next year after '67? etc.. etc...

at this point i dont know what result you want and too lazy to re-read, lol... so if that's not useful, nevermind, lol. just info.

----

btw, they change prices constantly throughout the year in real life. But, this is irrelevant as to do it or not to do it. maybe someone chooses to only do it on Monday in real life but never when they play on other days of the week - Cool beans! i don't get it, but that doesn't matter, LoL.

Also, "gamey" is just some rhetoric you see in the forums from people that want to attribute some moral high-ground about mostly arbitrary things... as if playing a video game in any particular way has anythign to do with right and wrong.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #13
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

"Gamey" to me has nothing to do with morality. It has to do with exploiting an unrealistic feature in a game.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

since static pricing is unrealistic... that means it's gamey not to do it, if applying the same self imposed rule. you'll have to stop doing static pricing of tickets.

obviously a joke, but neither way is taking advantage. they even had to bugfix it during the year... there was an exploit at one time, i guess... i never noticed.. if i recall it involved extreme pricing of season tickets. now, there is a cap on ticket price of $127, i think.

an exploit is bad code, most of the time. there's not much you can exploit beyond what they allow you to do... it's all pre-determined ranges of results.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #15
SR000
Minors (Single A)

Not gaming at all

In real life there isn't a static ticket price, at least considering actual cost vs. advertised price. There are always large group discounts, packages for charitable organizations, discounts for local youth coaches...all of which apply only when games aren't already sold out.
SR000 is offline   Reply With Quote