Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:25 AM   #1
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Detroit Tigers 2020

I started following baseball in 1986 listening to the World Series on the US Armed Forces radio station, in 1995 I really got into it when they started showing live games on TV in the UK. In between 86 and 95 I'd also relied on videos of games, anyway it was usually the popular teams and players who were on TV, Yankees, Braves, Mariners, Griffey, Orioles and Ripken etc.

So I never stuck with a team, usually following players like Matheny, Dykstra, Rey Ordonez amongst others. I have a cousin stateside who I've driven mad because I havent followed a team so he would decide on what team I'd be following from now on. So I opened my Christmas present from him containing a few Tigers things like bobblehead, cap, beanie etc. So looks like I'm a Detroit Tigers fan, one things for certain nobody can say I'm a bandwagon jumper. By the way he's a White Sox fan, think he was taking the urine if truth be known.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

As a life-long Detroit fan, I have one question; what horrible thing did you do to your cousin? Clearly, he wishes to punish and humiliate you.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
As a life-long Detroit fan, I have one question; what horrible thing did you do to your cousin? Clearly, he wishes to punish and humiliate you.
I think it's down to Wigan Athletic, years back he got into football (soccer) so I said why not support Wigan Athletic who at the time were at a peak in their history. Sadly they have reverted back to type back to there rollercoaster ways, so I think it was payback for that. However he knows my fascination with Ty Cobb and Shoeless Joe, so I think he went with Cobb plus we'd have a rivalry.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:38 AM   #4
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

First 12 games against Cleveland and Kansas City, you'd think they'd spread the teams out more, granted they play divisional teams more but a better spread? Also home opener on my birthday must be an omen, what odds are the Tigers to win the World Series
Old 01-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #5
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
First 12 games against Cleveland and Kansas City, you'd think they'd spread the teams out more, granted they play divisional teams more but a better spread? Also home opener on my birthday must be an omen, what odds are the Tigers to win the World Series
This year? Or within ten years?

I'm looking forward to this year. I know they're going to suck (maybe still lose 100 games?), but we should begin to see some of their more highly touted prospects emerging. It'll be nice to get those glimpses of potential.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #6
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
It's in the stars OOTP Perfect Team first player card Daniel Norris, first non base card George Kell
Old 01-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post

I'm looking forward to this year. I know they're going to suck (maybe still lose 100 games?), but we should begin to see some of their more highly touted prospects emerging. It'll be nice to get those glimpses of potential.
I thought this article was telling. As a fan of the club, I have tried to have an open mind about Avila. My faith in the guy is non-existent at this point. The moves the Tigers made last year sure seem to line up exactly with what Doug is saying. Essentially, they would rather destroy careers of prospects than look wrong.
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...-a/2516003001/

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #8
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

That was a disheartening read. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #9
bertha
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
I thought this article was telling. As a fan of the club, I have tried to have an open mind about Avila. My faith in the guy is non-existent at this point. The moves the Tigers made last year sure seem to line up exactly with what Doug is saying. Essentially, they would rather destroy careers of prospects than look wrong.
Nice sharing
bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #10
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No player's careers have been destroyed by not being sent down to AA for two weeks or for being kept up in the majors while struggling. It is a balancing act trying to figure out when to bring up young players and when not to. It has been since "bringing up players" became a thing. Sometimes it works out great bringing someone "up early." Sometimes it flops. Sometimes it flops bringing them up "on schedule." Sometimes it works great. There are so many factors involved its ridiculous. Mientkiewicz was fired because he and the Tigers weren't on the same page. Not the first time that's happened and it won't be the last. If anything, from the article it sounds like he may have been quite vocal about his disagreements and it didn't sit well. People can be "not a yes-man" and still keep their jobs. But if they're jerks (not saying Doug was) about it then it can become an issue.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys

Last edited by cephasjames; 01-09-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

From last month about Mize and Manning.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...ze/4393666002/

My hope is that between Mize, Manning, Fulmer, Norris and Boyd Detroit ends up with three reliable/decent starters to work with in 2021.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
From last month about Mize and Manning.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...ze/4393666002/

My hope is that between Mize, Manning, Fulmer, Norris and Boyd Detroit ends up with three reliable/decent starters to work with in 2021.
I hope they didn't screw up Mize with his injury last year. They could also really use a surprise guy to develop from out of nowhere. Skubal comes to mind. He really ramped up his game last season. I also have some hope for Wentz who they picked up for Greene in the Atlanta trade.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #13
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

How wonderful would that be if they ended up with something decent from that Greene trade. Any Detroit fan on the street apparently knew more about Greene's true value than the entire Atlanta brain trust.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:34 PM   #14
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fre...amp/4634366002

Seeing the NFL season will finish in 24 hours, I'm not a big NBA or NHL fan I'm itching for the baseball season to start.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #15
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

I literally had this same thought today. The two weeks between NFL games have been sad for me. But only a couple of weeks until spring training.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #16
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fre...amp/4634366002

Seeing the NFL season will finish in 24 hours, I'm not a big NBA or NHL fan I'm itching for the baseball season to start.
I vividly remember that Granderson deal. It was not popular with anyone around here because I don't think you could find a single person in Michigan that didn't love Granderson. I really can't think of anyone that was a better ambassador for the game. Never gave a snarky condescending interview (that I can remember) was always humble, hardworking and gracious. Gave back to his community. Really did it all. MLB needs a lot more guys like him.

As unpopular as that deal was it really worked out in the Tigers favor though. It was one of Dombrowski's better moves.

Thanks for sharing this UK!

Old 02-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #17
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I vividly remember that Granderson deal. It was not popular with anyone around here because I don't think you could find a single person in Michigan that didn't love Granderson. I really can't think of anyone that was a better ambassador for the game. Never gave a snarky condescending interview (that I can remember) was always humble, hardworking and gracious. Gave back to his community. Really did it all. MLB needs a lot more guys like him.

As unpopular as that deal was it really worked out in the Tigers favor though. It was one of Dombrowski's better moves.

Thanks for sharing this UK!
Much appreciated, I was looking for latest Tigers news, there were a few articles but most concentrated on his Yankees & Mets stays.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #18
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

I was looking at some roster options at 1B with Toledo today to try and understand why the Tigers did not sign Greg Bird to a minor league deal. The guy has some solid left handed pop if he can stay healthy. Obviously that has been the problem with his career is staying healthy. I feel like this would be a guy to take a flyer on as a non-roster sign. Anyway as I was fooling around I came across the Tigers scouting report on Patrick Mahomes. Pretty funny so I thought I would share it.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2020/2/...future-rosters

Old 02-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #19
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Scouting report on Patrick Mahomes: "Sounds a little bit like Kermit the Frog, which is pretty hilarious."
Old 02-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #20
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

5 more sleep nights