Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

Stuck at Perfect League Level

So i have played OOTP forever and love it. This is my first year playing Perfect team, and i love it. Here is my issue though....

After quickly moving up the ranks, I am now at the "Perfect League" level. I have prolly spend $80-$100 (total) on Points to upgrade my team at various times. At this point I dont really want to spend any more. If i dont spend any more i simply wont be competitive, yet not BAD enough to get relegated down. What do i do?

Most of my players are low 90s and are the typical "value" guys for there price. MOST of the teams at the Perfect level are LOADED with "100" players (Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, on and on.... i have NONE of those), and i simply cant afford to compete, yet i am not bad enough to be sent back down. Any suggestions?

To make it worse even guys who are "supposed" to be good... Like a 97 Verlander was 0-9 with a 7 ERA before i sent him down.

Suggestion: Is there a chance the Perfect level gets broken up based on "total rating"... Take the top 25 or 35 guys on an entire roster... Add up the total rating and have leagues based on that. There is simply too much variance at the top level.

I am open to any ideas or suggestions. THANKS

Last edited by Stick50; 05-17-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Stick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick50 View Post
So i have played OOTP forever and love it. This is my first year playing Perfect team, and i love it. Here is my issue though....

After quickly moving up the ranks, I am now at the "Perfect League" level. I have prolly spend $80-$100 (total) on Points to upgrade my team at various times. At this point I dont really want to spend any more. If i dont spend any more i simply wont be competitive, yet not BAD enough to get relegated down. What do i do?

Most of my players are low 90s and are the typical "value" guys for there price. MOST of the teams at the Perfect level are LOADED with "100" players (Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, on and on.... i have NONE of those), and i simply cant afford to compete, yet i am not bad enough to be sent back down. Any suggestions?

To make it worse even guys who are "supposed" to be good... Like a 97 Verlander was 0-9 with a 7 ERA before i sent him down.

Suggestion: Is there a chance the Perfect level gets broken up based on "total rating"... Take the top 25 or 35 guys on an entire roster... Add up the total rating and have leagues based on that. There is simply too much variance at the top level.

There have been a lot of threads on the forums where people have talked about spending maybe $100 on packs and then ending up flying up to perfect only to get bodyslammed ny whales. That is why I chose to do ftp. I have a year to play the game ans want to slowly build up. As it is now, i had a few teams get up to Diamond only to be pushed back down to gold. But, that is cool. There still is a lot of time to move up. But, i feel your pain. More people would spend money on packs if they knew that it wouldn't just put them with a bunch of whales. At this point, the best solution is to form your own friend list with a bunch of like-minded people.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #3
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
There have been a lot of threads on the forums where people have talked about spending maybe $100 on packs and then ending up flying up to perfect only to get bodyslammed ny whales. That is why I chose to do ftp. I have a year to play the game ans want to slowly build up. As it is now, i had a few teams get up to Diamond only to be pushed back down to gold. But, that is cool. There still is a lot of time to move up. But, i feel your pain. More people would spend money on packs if they knew that it wouldn't just put them with a bunch of whales. At this point, the best solution is to form your own friend list with a bunch of like-minded people.
There will continue to be a lot of threads about this. It is telling that this is this user's first forum post. With no way to communicate with other owners in game, more casual players will never see the trends we notice. When they do finally notice it, it is not unreasonable to think that their first instinct is not to search for similar threads (especially since the forum search function is *ahem* underwhelming) and to instead start a new conversation since they were not part of any previous discussions.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
There will continue to be a lot of threads about this. It is telling that this is this user's first forum post. With no way to communicate with other owners in game, more casual players will never see the trends we notice. When they do finally notice it, it is not unreasonable to think that their first instinct is not to search for similar threads (especially since the forum search function is *ahem* underwhelming) and to instead start a new conversation since they were not part of any previous discussions.
This is true, but at this point I seem to be stuck. I find myself much less interested in the game the last week or 2 because I KNOW i cant do anything to win. I guess i could start a 2nd team and ... let this one twist in the wind (or tank) but, thats not my style (though neither is spending $1,000 real dollars to load my team up). Obviously im not the first to have this issue and, for now, it appears to be a loophole that i fell into as there doesn't appear to be a good solve for me.

As a side note, out of frustration, since making my first post I used the last 7k i had on 7 packs.. Not a single player above an 80, so... winning the lottery wasnt in the cards either.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #5
Goliathus
Major Leagues

It's not really a loophole, it's just how it is in F2P game -- certain budget will get you to a certain level. Whether you are happy with that level or not is another problem, but getting stuck in a certain level will happen to everyone unless you are the biggest whale and you have the knowledge to back your team up against other whales of the same caliber.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #6
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

Congrats on making it to the highest level of play. Your only hope of interesting play now is when tournaments get released, which is "Coming soon!" (still months away).

It's an unfortunate reality that in any 30 team league, there will be several teams that will not be competitive that season. That's just sports, so a few weeks here and there of not being competitive should be a given. After all, all of the teams want to win.

However, this game is pretty brutal with the minimal relegation from Perfect level putting teams in purgatory. There really needs to be more aggressive relegation so teams can still enjoy a few weeks where they have any kind of chance.

Personally, my team is good enough to make it the playoffs at Perfect,, so I'm not even affected by the lack of relegation. It's just an obvious problem that kills the interest of players who deserve better.

I do recommend starting more teams. I have two FTP teams and they are pretty fun. Just having them around so I can crack more packs is worth it.

Last edited by GlassGuyBob; 05-17-2019 at 11:01 PM.
GlassGuyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:58 PM   #7
allenciox
All Star Reserve

The one item of good news is that the perfect level is the fastest expanding level at the moment... and most of the new teams coming in are not whales. Also, there is a whale discord channel where some of the biggest whales friend each other and face off.

I second what another said: try to find a bunch of owners that are in a similar boat as you in perfect and set each other as friends (also note that you want to be paired up with friends). This should reduce (but not eliminate) some of the whales you see in future seasons.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #8
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Same Here

Quote:

This is reason why Im shutting my teams down. Im gonna set and forget check back on Sundays. It's getting boring to get beat the hell out of every week. And I need to get back to what I love more. Me playing my White Sox in OOTP like I been doing for last 19 previous versions. I too am not going to spend money on cards that under perform all the time. Good Luck to All
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:38 PM   #9
neugey
All Star Reserve

As I've stated before, I'd like to see them turn up the relegation numbers, particularly at Perfect level. It doesn't make much sense to have relegation at '2' there. It should be harder to stay at the top level.

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:52 PM   #10
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
This is the part of your post that stuck with me. I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "supposed" to be good, but if you are just going by the 97 OVR, that would be an area you can work on. Just because a guy has a high OVR does not always mean anything and Verlander is a perfect example.

There are at least 12 Silver guys (in the 70's) better than Verlander and more Gold than I would care to count. And that isn't even to mention the diamond level guys rated below 97 as well. So as to what you can do, you might be able to find enjoyment and a challenge in improving the team by selling off players like Verlander to find the ones that would be more productive. I'm not sure who else is on the team, but that would be a good place to start.

A big part of OOTP is learning what works and what doesn't, and I think the journey can be fun and entertaining. Good luck if you decide to try!
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGuyBob View Post

It's an unfortunate reality that in any 30 team league, there will be several teams that will not be competitive that season. That's just sports, so a few weeks here and there of not being competitive should be a given. After all, all of the teams want to win.
Here is my issue... In real baseball teams stink for a while (Marlins, etc) and sell off there good players... Get prospects... Hopefully prospects work out and you make another run. I would be ok w that. Thats not possible at all in the current set up.

My bigger point was that... the system is broke. It appears this is something most of you knew long ago and im just late to the party. If people who are way smarter then me havent figured out a way to fix it, i guess im not going to either.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
Semtextual
Minors (Rookie Ball)

But have you tried adjusting ballpark factors or hanging out in the AH for hours on end? If not then you are not trying and will never win at Perfect Level /s
Semtextual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #13
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
This is the part of your post that stuck with me. I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "supposed" to be good, but if you are just going by the 97 OVR, that would be an area you can work on. Just because a guy has a high OVR does not always mean anything and Verlander is a perfect example.

There are at least 12 Silver guys (in the 70's) better than Verlander and more Gold than I would care to count. And that isn't even to mention the diamond level guys rated below 97 as well. So as to what you can do, you might be able to find enjoyment and a challenge in improving the team by selling off players like Verlander to find the ones that would be more productive. I'm not sure who else is on the team, but that would be a good place to start.

A big part of OOTP is learning what works and what doesn't, and I think the journey can be fun and entertaining. Good luck if you decide to try!

Another example of this is Dellin Betances. His OVR is 89, and on my pack only team I have THREE bronze relievers/closers with identical (or close to it within 2 points) ratings. Why would I not sell Betances and keep the bronze? :P

A footnote to that> Normally I'd keep Betances and sell when he rose above into diamond,but seeing how he's on the 60-day DL he won't be doing that anytime soon so it is safe to assume he will be a static rating for the foreseeable future.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #14
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
Another example of this is Dellin Betances. His OVR is 89, and on my pack only team I have THREE bronze relievers/closers with identical (or close to it within 2 points) ratings. Why would I not sell Betances and keep the bronze? :P

A footnote to that> Normally I'd keep Betances and sell when he rose above into diamond,but seeing how he's on the 60-day DL he won't be doing that anytime soon so it is safe to assume he will be a static rating for the foreseeable future.
I agree there are some good values. I love my Gwynn and Gary Maddox cards, but all the Gwynn and Maddox's on the planet arent going to beat Ruth, Big Train, Cobb, Wagner, etc etc.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #15
HiDesertAce
Major Leagues

sometimes David does beat Goliath.

thats all Unsung Iron historical that beat a team of 100's historicals.
Attached Images
Image Image 

HiDesertAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #16
Edster007
All Star Starter

I didn't play PT last year and wish I had read the PT 19 forums before I started playing PT 20 as I would have approached the game differently. I spent a little cash, used the auction house to the best of my ability and have gone about as far as I can with my Coney Island Warriors unless I choose to spend more. If I had one minor complaint it was jumping from diamond to perfect off an 86 win season where I wasn't close to sniffing the playoffs or WC game. It was the 4th week so I guess they needed to fill out the balance of leagues.

I still love my team if I get the right division/conference I can win games and make the playoffs as I did last year. I am going to finish this season with 83-85 wins but I have played 49 one run games, so its enough to keep me going. I don't see anyone using a loop hole or think the game is broken I moved up in competition so the game got harder. I'd rather stay here than get relegated, tweak my team/player strategies and ball park effects then go up and down like a yo-yo.

I am going to start another team in a couple of weeks with what I learned and have a theme to it to make it more interesting as well but Coney Island will be my #1 priority
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #17
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDesertAce View Post
sometimes David does beat Goliath.

thats all Unsung Iron historical that beat a team of 100's historicals.
Yes it happens, lets not forget that the team that lost here went on to win 130+ games and the WS and the team that won ended up with an all time loss record for the division.... The point is that David did not win anything but one game and cannot not beat Goliath in a series.... Not in this current engine.

X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #18
Stick50
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semtextual View Post
have you tried adjusting ballpark factors /s
So this is where i am at now...

I know everything has to be between .9 and 1.1 but which is which?

If I want LESS HR... Is that .9 or 1.1?
If i want LESS AVE... Is that .9 or 1.1?
Old 05-18-2019, 09:31 PM   #19
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
So this is where i am at now...

I know everything has to be between .9 and 1.1 but which is which?

If I want LESS HR... Is that .9 or 1.1?
If i want LESS AVE... Is that .9 or 1.1?
Less is .9
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #20
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post

So what's the point of even putting ratings,numbers,or whatever gives a card it's value of the card. So it must be a scam to get ppl to buy higher rated/numered cards if they already know 70, 80 rated cards are better, right? What the point of having silver, gold, diamonf & perfect cards? Why not have just names and throw them out there to make us find out which ones are better? This is my last week of following my teams. I'm just gonna set and forget bc its just random if i win or not trying to set up matchups.Anothdr thing I dont understand is how Perfect & Diamond card teams can just hang around GOLD leagues forever trouncing the competition. I got 6 teams & probably a total of 6 Diamond Cards, never seen a perfect on my team.Javy Lopez 93 is his 2003 year .328 43 HR he has never hit more than 14 HR & .300 once. I dropped a $20 bill in AH to get him....NEVER EVER AGAIN.....felt like i got ripped off. This was fun but not any longer....just spinning wheels.
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote