Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
captaincoop17
All Star Reserve

OOTP malfunctioning?

I run OOTP 17 on a MacBook Pro and I've never really had any problems with it. Lately though, my laptop has been working really hard and the fans in it get pretty loud, even with good airflow around the laptop.

I checked on Apple and found this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203184

When I opened up my activity monitor, it showed OOTP was using 120%, which can't be right, can it? That page says that anything 70% and up is overworking your laptop and might even be malfunctioning.

My question is then, what does everyone else's version of OOTP 17 run at on their MacBook?
captaincoop17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I'll check when I get home
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
BravesChop15
Minors (Single A)

While in a game It's 110. In the screens its like 3
BravesChop15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
dickysty
Major Leagues

The fan on my MacBook Pro runs a ton in 3D mode , so I don't use it much. All other aspects of the game runs fine, no fan.
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:01 AM   #5
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincoop17 View Post
I run OOTP 17 on a MacBook Pro and I've never really had any problems with it. Lately though, my laptop has been working really hard and the fans in it get pretty loud, even with good airflow around the laptop.

I checked on Apple and found this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203184

When I opened up my activity monitor, it showed OOTP was using 120%, which can't be right, can it? That page says that anything 70% and up is overworking your laptop and might even be malfunctioning.

My question is then, what does everyone else's version of OOTP 17 run at on their MacBook?
Unfortunately, and unusually, the situation is a little more complicated than what's mentioned in that support article and it's misleading.

The Activity Monitor app measures CPU load in terms of the number of threads being used by an app and that depends on how many cores your CPU has, how many threads it can handle, and in the case of OOTP, how many "helper threads" are assigned to OOTP under File ---> Settings ---> Interface tab, in the option at the bottom of the screen.

Also, it's important to note that the "%" designation in Activity Monitor's CPU column is pretty much meaningless. The available CPU capacity for each THREAD is "100%".

So, for example, my mid 2012 MacBook Pro has an i7 processor with 4 cores, each supporting two threads, for a total of 8 threads. If all of these threads are being used at once at maximum capacity, Activity Monitor would display that as "800%".

When I run OOTP, I have the default helper thread setting for my system, which uses all 8 threads. When I sim a league for one year, the number varies greatly from "75%" to about "225%", except when it's generating the season predictions, in which case I've seen it go up to about "580%". This means, remember, that everything is multiplied by the number of threads, though, so in my case it's only using about 9 to 25% of the CPU or up to about 70-something percent when generating the predictions, which, for a little while, is not really a problem. In my case, the laptop warms up a bit, but the fan doesn't go on while simming a season.

Note also, that I just installed the new build to test this for you with a league I haven't played in several builds (I haven't really played OOTP lately), so using an old league may be a factor, but at least it's giving you a taste for what the numbers mean.

It all depends, really, on how many cores your CPU has and how many threads OOTP is using.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote