Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
Trebro
All Star Reserve

Fictional Q: How many Minors?

I know the MLB has an insane number of minor league teams, which I know is realistic, but very hard to keep tabs on.

For those who set up their own fictional league, how many do you include, when you're doing an MLB-akin league?

I have my current one set to AAA-AA-A-R + Intl complex. Do you think there's a real need for Short A? Or another level of R? Or anything similar?

Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

I've done with and without SS-A. You'll find that you'll be fine with what you have.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
dickysty
Major Leagues

I do three levels of minors, AAA,AA and Short A. It seems to work well and very manageable.
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

My Question is I have 40 rounds in my rookie draft and i am having a expansion team... is 40 players on 1 rookie team too much with some players not getting enough playing time or am I better off to go with 2 rookie clubs of 20-25 players each then that both rookie teams have all players getting playing time?
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
injury log
Hall Of Famer

If you have all the international amateur settings on as well, then you'll be adding at least 50 players to your system each year. That fills two teams. You keep new guys for six years, so before the players you get this year hit minor league free agency, you'll be adding 12 teams worth of players to your system. Even with a deep minor league system (AAA, AA, hi-A, lo-A, s-A, and two Rookie teams), eight teams in total including the majors, in any six year window you'll have 100 excess players, give or take. If every team releases those guys, that's 3000 players in the FA pool. If every team hoards those guys, that's 75 players at each Rookie team (50 extra on each roster).

So yes, you probably want at least two Rookie teams, but might also want to make sure you aren't generating a more players than is appropriate for your league size. If international stuff is off, then it's less clearcut - I'd still go with two Rookie teams, but one might be okay.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

thanks for the advice injury... when starting a new file is the international amateur settings already set or do we need to set it up?
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #7
injury log
Hall Of Famer

If scouting is on, the international amateurs should be on by default in a fictional league. You can check in the Players tab in Game Setup.
injury log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:55 AM   #8
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury log View Post
If every team releases those guys, that's 3000 players in the FA pool. If every team hoards those guys, that's 75 players at each Rookie team (50 extra on each roster).
I am simming a large (40 teams right now, hopefully going up to 80) US league right now, and every season I delete hundreds of .5 star free agents to try to get the pool under 2000 players. I've turned the draft down to generate only as many rounds of players as draft rounds, and I've turned the international stuff way down. I may turn it off as I keep adding internatonal leagues too.

I like having a rookie level, but in my experience AAA-AA-A works fine too. Injury log is right, do as he says and not as I did and try to keep enough levels to host all the international discoveries you want in your game.
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #9
smiller
Major Leagues

I'm playing a fictional league set in the early 1950's, and have just AAA, AA, A with no foreign imports. Makes it easier to keep track of my players that way.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if development adapts to setup, then it doesn't matter.

if it doesn't, you'll want all 5 levels for optimal development for a greater proportion of prospects. can you get by or still develop players, sure... but you likely don't realize how many are lost as a direct result with the naked eye. if you auto-calc modifiers every so often, it will not even show up in the stats, because it's compensating for the new level of talent in the league to roughly hit those numbers.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote