Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:29 PM   #141
low
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
I’m glad that Milwaukee is trying to keep a star in this manner. By that I mean signing an established star. Gets old watching all of these guys go to the same 4 markets (approx).

Oh, don't worry. He'll be traded away in two or three years, probably to a team with a huge farm system. Why? Because the Brewers no longer have one and their window to win is now. Unfortunately, they once again neglected the rotation and when they're battling Pittsburgh for last in the division for the next two seasons they'll start cutting guys loose.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #142
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Next time he throws 4 balls, we could send this windup to the Ministry of Silly Walks.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #143
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

‘Is Mike Trout’s Excellence Boring?’

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/is-mike-...llence-boring/
Old 03-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #144
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

They have the live mics on again on ESPN for Boston/Atlanta. Freddie Freeman during a batting inning was fun

(hey MLB, do this in the regular season somehow)

Edit: highly recommend watching the Michael Chavis/Kevin Plawecki double team too.

Last edited by PocketsAintFull; 03-06-2020 at 04:23 PM.
PocketsAintFull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #145
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

I'm looking forward to the rookie season of Nick Madrigal. I never paid any attention to him, other than seeing his name on top prospect lists. However, his skill set is completely against modern trends:

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/3...t-contact-rate

Down toward the end of the article is a nifty bit of trivia about Joe Sewell in 1927. We all know he was tough to strike out and put up legendaryily low whiff rates. However, in 1927 he struck out a mere 7 times and was caught stealing 16 times--the last time any regualr has ever had fewer whiffs than caught stealings.

Seeing Madrigal come close to this one day will be worth watching.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #146
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

‘ 1 classic game to watch online for each MLB team’

https://www.mlb.com/news/classic-mlb...o-watch-online
Old 03-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #147
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
I'm looking forward to the rookie season of Nick Madrigal. I never paid any attention to him, other than seeing his name on top prospect lists. However, his skill set is completely against modern trends:

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/3...t-contact-rate

Down toward the end of the article is a nifty bit of trivia about Joe Sewell in 1927. We all know he was tough to strike out and put up legendaryily low whiff rates. However, in 1927 he struck out a mere 7 times and was caught stealing 16 times--the last time any regualr has ever had fewer whiffs than caught stealings.

Seeing Madrigal come close to this one day will be worth watching.
Extremely unlikely

In 1927, when Sewell accomplished the "feat", the league K rate was about 7% (and lower than the league walk rate of about 8%). And the league successfully stole 74% of the time with just over 3 CS per 600 PA.

Sewell's 1% K rate in 1927 was, yes, very good at 15% of the league rate, His CS rate was - horrific, a 16% success rate,

In 2019, the league K rate was 23% and the CS rates were a 73% successful steal rate and just under 3 CS per 600 PA.

You should see the problem already.

Madrigal K'd in about 4% of his AAA plate appearances. That's already 3 to 4 times the K rate that Sewell had,

Projections, on the FanGraphs website, have Madrigal striking out between 5 and 7 percent of the time. Call it 6%

Compare that to the league rate of 23% and we expect Madrigal to K at around 25% of the league rate.

In 600 PA's Madrigal would be striking out about 36 times.
An incredibly low number for the current environment.

But to be caught stealing around 40 times a season? Never going to happen. He attempted 48 steals last year, with 35 being successful. What manager is going to let him run into 40 outs.

Willins Astudillo is the other no-strike out guy people are talking about. He had a 4% K rate in the majors last year (and a 70 wRC+). Which was 8 K's in 204 PA's (0 CS). Again, we're looking at 30+ K's in a full season and no one is going to get CS that many times.

The most CS in the league last year were 10 by Ahmed Rosario and Whit Merrifield.

30's not happening, 20's unlikely to happen.

It took a fluke season for Sewell to do it nearly a century ago

The game has changed too much for it to be likely to happen again (outside of some small sample weirdness)
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #148
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

'The best catcher in every team’s history'

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-all-ti...every-mlb-team
Old 03-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #149
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
'The best catcher in every team’s history'

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-all-ti...every-mlb-team
Is that it? The highlight reel before the curtains come down on humanity? Do all sites do that now as the end times approach?

"100 best apple pie recipes of all time"

"Most beloved forgotten silent movie actors"

"20 ways to having gotten maimed on the Western Front"

No, I'm not fatalistic. Not at all. I just want baseball back.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #150
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Is that it? The highlight reel before the curtains come down on humanity? Do all sites do that now as the end times approach?

"100 best apple pie recipes of all time"

"Most beloved forgotten silent movie actors"

"20 ways to having gotten maimed on the Western Front"

No, I'm not fatalistic. Not at all. I just want baseball back.
Many of these sports web sites are stupid anyway and I am surprised to have occasion to lump MLB.com in with that statement.

Thumbing through the article, I come to this: "Mets: Mike Piazza, 1998-2005 Key fact: Piazza is the only Hall of Fame position player with a Mets cap on his plaque

Hmmm. What? How about Tom Seaver? What is that on his head here?

Name:  Image0275.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  88.2 KB

Oh, wait a minute. "Position player." Still, isn't the pitcher a position player? It is according to this source. But you can find a reference or two that excludes pitcher. Apparently the author is in that group, hence his authoritative assertion.

I ramble, I know. Just some latent hostility against stupid sports media that is in your face 24/7 if you let it. They are getting their comeuppance now, even if just briefly, with the lack of meaningful stuff to talk about.

But fear not. Things will be back to normal when this virus is over. Nonstop blather will resume.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:54 AM   #151
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
So it sounds like we're looking at a 5 round MLB draft no later than July. This will make for a very interesting 2021 college baseball season. Teams already planning on losing the normal amounts of players in a 40 round draft, plus they won't lose hardly any of their HS recruits. I'm guessing you will see a lot of talented players at schools that normally wouldn't get them, plus a bumper crop for the Jucos
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #152
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

MLP & union strike deal on player service time and potential scheduling changes.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-27-2020, 02:26 PM   #153
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbandits View Post
So it sounds like we're looking at a 5 round MLB draft no later than July. This will make for a very interesting 2021 college baseball season. Teams already planning on losing the normal amounts of players in a 40 round draft, plus they won't lose hardly any of their HS recruits. I'm guessing you will see a lot of talented players at schools that normally wouldn't get them, plus a bumper crop for the Jucos
Number of Rounds is really unimportant ......
How many players will teams be able to sign ?
Will players declare after the Draft so that they can be treated as Free Agents ?
Will there be a cap on money (bonuses) that can be spent on undrafted players ?
Is this covered under the CBA ?

sounds like this creates a wash for the Astros losing picks .

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #154
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Currently watching the ‘86 Boston v. Seattle game where Clemens struck out 20 batters. I have seen it before but watching it today made me notice just how much advertising has taken over modern baseball. Fenway Park looks naked to my eye. I’m not sure if that is a good thing either. Just an observation.

Secondly, it got me to thinking that if the season does get cancelled then the Red Sox actually won the Mookie Betts deal. Who would have thought?

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #155
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
Currently watching the ‘86 Boston v. Seattle game where Clemens struck out 20 batters . . .
What is jarring to my eye these days when watching such old games is how the screen was square. But it worked; we didn't know what we were missing back then. Such as extra ads behind pitcher and batter. And in-screen ads, come to think of it.

- Bru

Old 03-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #156
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
What is jarring to my eye these days when watching such old games is how the screen was square. But it worked; we didn't know what we were missing back then. Such as extra ads behind pitcher and batter. And in-screen ads, come to think of it.
What I noticed is how drab the colors look back then compared with today's MLB broadcasts. The colors "pop" off the screen now. I am watching the Mets vs Astros 1986 playoff games, awesome but the color is almost like watching black and white (yes I remember those days as well)!
Old 03-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #157
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner and Giants Fan View Post
What I noticed is how drab the colors look back then compared with today's MLB broadcasts. The colors "pop" off the screen now. I am watching the Mets vs Astros 1986 playoff games, awesome but the color is almost like watching black and white (yes I remember those days as well)!
I was watching that as well. I never remembered Phil Garner as being that “jacked as a player”. My memories of his are with the mustache and a kindly smile tipping his hat to the fans as a manager. He was seriously pumping some iron in his playing days.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:40 PM   #158
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Astros keeping it classy.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #159
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I almost can empathize with the antipathy toward Mike Fiers but, two things:
1) The story would have come out in some other manner anyway, and
2) When such antipathy begins to imply personal threats, the toads that make them should be stepped on and squashed.

- Bru

Old 03-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #160
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
What did the Astros do here?

Evan Gattis, who is not an Astro, tweeted a photo of a glass being sold by some brewery. Doesn't appear that the Astros were involved in any way,
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote