Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 01-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #61
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1983 ALCS: BIGGEST COLLAPSE IN BASEBALL HISTORY

Perhaps the title is a bit of hyperbole, but to me it feels apt based on my feelings at the time. It's been a week or two (in real time) since this game happened, so the sting has worn off a bit. But I was in shock and disbelief when it unfolded.

The ALCS went down to the deciding Game 5, because of course it always does. This time we were in Baltimore. The Texas Rangers built up a nice little 3-0 lead, and had Bert Blyleven on the mound (who would later be the unanimous 1983 Cy Young winner).

All of a sudden Bert goes down with an injury in the bottom of the 6th inning, which was disappointing because he was cruising in the deciding game. It was too early to bring in the fireman Goose Gossage. I thought about bringing in Nolan Ryan, as he was rested... but decided I should keep him fresh because I planned on winning this game and going to the World Series. I brought in Charlie Hough because he had the stamina to go a few innings, and a nice knuckleball to keep the BABIP down.

Charlie does OK, but after allowing a run in the 8th, I turn to Goose Gossage in the bottom of the 9th to shut the game down. It's the obvious move, he's been the best reliever in baseball for several years running. And I just need 3 outs. All of a sudden, a walk. And then the next batter -- Butch Wynegar with only 65 career homers IRL -- goes long. It's 3-3. My ticket to the World Series is burning before my eyes.

At this point I'm in shock and just tapping the spacebar waiting for the pain to end. At some point there's 2 outs. Then a double. And another homer. This time Baltimore walks us off. Must have been fun for Orioles fans.

Goose Gossage, he of 65 or 70 Movement, gives up the game tying and ALCS walk-off home runs. I seem to remember Goose being a boob in other playoffs, and lights-out in others. But the only explanation is that the game just didn't want me to win. Yeah, I could have pulled him after the first homer. But it all happened so fast and I was pretty much resigned to my fate. Just check out the win probability graph.

Speechless.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #62
cardinalfan3000
Minors (Double A)

F
cardinalfan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #63
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1983-84 OFFSEASON

Lots to discuss in the ensuing offseason, so I'll try to get through it.

1. The Atlanta Braves actually ended up smashing the Orioles in the World Series. Go figure. Wonder if we would have beat them?

2. As expected, Fergie Jenkins, Jon Matlack, and Gaylord Perry retired. Fergie's number was automatically retired for the Rangers. I manually retired Matlack's, as I figured he earned it.

3. Fergie actually had a killer last game that resulted in a win during the heartbreaking playoff series, I've attached the box score. He almost went for a complete game but ran out of gas before the last batter. Good way to go out.

4. Worst of all - Gaylord Perry retired with a Giants hat! I'm mad at the OOTP algorithm for doing that, given he has more WAR and pitched better with Texas. I ended up un-retiring him to try to earn the Texas hat with another season in 1984. This isn't really cheating too much I figure, as I'll be paying a lot of money for an old replacement-level pitcher.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 01-14-2020, 07:30 PM   #64
Argonaut
All Star Starter

NOLAN RYAN IS THE NEW STRIKEOUT KING

For once, it's great news for Texas Rangers fans as Nolan Ryan is now the all-time leader in strikeouts. And hey, he's also the all-time leader in walks. And he still has another decade in him...

Also, check out the opposing batting AVG against him, very cool.

Attached Images

Last edited by Argonaut; 01-16-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #65
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1984 END OF SEASON

Fresh off the disappointment of 1983, the Texas Rangers are forging ahead all the same, with an awesome new logo. I think that's the best one the Rangers have had, IMO.

We've continued our great regular season history in Texas by winning the AL West again in 1984. I don't know how many years that is in a row now but it's a lot. Reminding myself to check later...

Even with the restriction of only having players who actually played for the Rangers on my team, I still seem to find enough guys to make a nice balanced roster that I like. With the nature of re-calc, players ratings are jumping up and down, especially the fielding ratings in some of the important positions. I found myself at the start of 1984 without a competent CF, so I dug through the game and Baseball Reference to find Gary Pettis, who won 5 Gold Gloves at CF including one for Texas.

Some good years from my batters this time around, with Juan Beniquez winning the batting title with a .373 AVG, and Harold Baines, Brian Downing, and Buddy Bell also putting up good numbers. Our pitching numbers seem to be a bit more humdrum than I'm used to, but our runs against is still good for 2nd in the league. I guess league-wide scoring is starting to tick up in 1984.

Some familiar faces in the playoffs again, as the Red Sox are our opponents and the Mets and Dodgers square off in the NL. I swear I've seen something like this before. Anyway, there's definitely some teams that keep winning in my universe, and this years' playoff teams plus the Orioles come to mind first.

Goose Gossage was pitching great again from the pen but picked up an injury that will see him miss the playoffs. He's kind of had a mostly-awful playoff record that cost us a lot of games, so we won't get a chance to see if that continues. Is that a thing that's even coded into OOTP? Just bad luck? Either way it's just like real sports. In the meantime our bullpen is looking a bit weak and we'll be relying on our starters to go deep.

I don't have huge expectations and hopes like I did last season, and Boston won more games and should be favoured to come out of the AL. We'll see!
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 01-22-2020, 07:33 PM   #66
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1984 ALCS

There isn't much to say about the ALCS this year. Although we continued our tradition of losing in the playoffs, I'm not disappointed like I was last season. The Red Sox were undoubtedly a better team than us this year. Their lineup was just too good, with future Hall of Famers Wade Boggs, Steve Carlton, and Roger Clemens as highlights.

They even had Ozzie Smith at SS to add to the misery. I had a platoon-heavy lineup, so when they put a LHP on the mound like Carlton, all of my righties just hit the ball to the Wizard of Oz.

In Game 2 we had another typical playoff collapse in the bottom of the 8th inning, as attached. If I remember right I pulled the SP only for the bullpen to blow it again. And this time I can't blame it on Goose.

We'll try again in 1985. We're getting close to having some cool rookies appearing in the Texas organization! I suspect they'll be a bit of a generational shift in the mid-to-late 80s for the Rangers roster.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 01-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #67
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1985 ALL-STAR BREAK

Another year, another season of dominance for the Rangers in the AL West. We sit 11.5 games ahead at the All-Star Break, so should comfortably get into the playoffs again. We have to give it another go!

Not much is changed as far as the team goes. I've brought Gaylord Perry back for another year because he was still wearing a Giants hat. It's getting a bit silly at this point, so this'll be the final chance to see if he dons a Rangers hat or not. He's set to finally be ahead in terms of innings pitched this year so hopefully that counts for something.

The big move of the offseason was acquiring Will Clark from the aforementioned Giants, who played a great first base for Texas in real life. I had to give up Mike Stanley, who was set to develop into a great hitting catcher. With Pudge on the way soon I'm not too bothered. Plus I'm attached to Jim Sundberg even though he's old and declining. Clark has a chance for the Hall of Fame if I play him consistently for the next 15 years. He's already getting some extra reps compared to real life as I brought him up to MLB a year early.

Beniquez is batting well again, as are others on the team. The pitching is great too, with Rick Honeycutt having a great year and the bullpen being lights out. Tom Henke has developed into an elite closer, and him and Goose form a great one-two punch in the pen.

Waiting for another shot at the playoffs and our 2nd World Series title!
Attached Images
Old 01-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #68
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1985 END OF SEASON

I forgot to take a picture of the final standings, but we finished 1st in the AL West as expected. The final record was 108-54, winning an even 2 out of 3 games which is great.

The bats were solid, with Harold Baines and Juan Beniquez leading the way. Attached below. Love to have a good CF and SS, as you can see the value Scott Fletcher and Gary Pettis brought in their fielding.

The pitching was crazy good, as I'm sure we led the MLB in run prevention. Nolan Ryan did what he does, and led the team in WAR with 5.9. But Rick Honeycutt had a great year, going 19-2 with a 2.02 ERA. Our bullpen was lights out, with Tom Henke and Goose Gossage adding tons of value from the pen. Henke had a sub-2.00 ERA, and Goose had a sub-1.00 ERA for most of the season with zero homers. He finally gave up a homer in September, and another in his last game to push his ERA above 1.00. Getting ready to become playoff Goose I guess.

Over in the NL it's the Mets and Dodgers again! Again! I guess they have their own rivalries, like I have mine. Speaking of which, the musical chairs that is the AL East champion has landed on...

The Baltimore Orioles!!! Again. Time for revenge.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 01-24-2020, 05:52 PM   #69
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1985 ALCS: TEXAS RANGERS VS. BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Like clockwork, once the playoffs comes around our bullpen falls to pieces. Gossage and Henke unhittable during the regular season? Doesn't matter, can't buy an out during the playoffs. Gossage had something like a 72.00 ERA in this series. What is with him? I've posted the box score from Game 4, where Gossage had some trouble in the 8th, got relieved for Henke, who then had some trouble of his own in the 9th. We almost blew it according to the win probability graph.

But in the end it didn't matter! Our bats did enough against the Orioles pitching, which wasn't elite. And outside of Ripken their defense wasn't that hot either. But our starters were solid, including Nolan Ryan who dealt a shutout to clinch the ALCS in 5 games. Harold Baines got the ALCS MVP.

The Texas Rangers are going to the World Series! Haven't been there since 1981.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Argonaut; 01-24-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:20 PM   #70
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1985 WORLD SERIES PREVIEW: TEXAS RANGERS VS. NEW YORK METS

The last time we went to the World Series was 1981, and we lost in a Game 7 heartbreak to the New York Mets. Well, we're back again and ready for another round of revenge.

I've attached the preview of our batting lineup against theirs. Apparently nearly all of the advantage is on the side of the Mets. They have some real sluggers in the heart of their lineup, led by a young Darryl Strawberry.

But there's hope. I'm sure we have a better bullpen than them (well technically, but maybe not with our playoff luck). We also have a much better defense than them, as they aren't fielding anyone who's good at defense besides Lenny Dykstra in LF. And that's one of the 2 least important positions on the field. The Rangers focus on putting the ball in play, so we're going to make their defense work.

Their pitching staff is led by ultra ace Dwight Gooden, who was lighting the world on fire in the real-life mid 80s. I think the rest of their rotation is pretty good, but maybe not quite as good as it was in '81.

They also have Toby Harrah, who spent a lot of good years with the Rangers. I can't remember who I got from the Mets for Harrah.. might have been a bullpen guy. Must have been Greg Harris. Anyway, Harrah couldn't play defense anymore and was blocking the young Julio Franco so he's drawing walks for NYM now.

It should be a good World Series. I figure I've been to the playoffs over 10 times, and only won it all once. If we assume we have a 25% chance any given year (and some years we were really the best team, so maybe higher), then we are certainly due for another win. Let's go!
Attached Images
Old 01-28-2020, 06:46 PM   #71
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1985 WORLD SERIES: TEXAS RANGERS VS. NEW YORK METS

We were up against the Mets again in a rematch of the 1981 World Series. Nothing much to say about this one, we just couldn't close the deal in the playoffs again and lost the series 4-2.

The turning point was Game 4. We were leading the Mets 2-1 in the series, and whenever that happens Game 4 is definitely the crucial event in any 7 game series. You can either have a team go up 3-1 and it's almost over, or you can be tied 2-2 and it's wide open.

In the top of the 9th we were behind by a run (after scoring 2) with 2 outs on the board, and a runner on 1st. Then our speedster Gary Pettis tries to steal 2nd base! With 2 outs. Usually he's successful but this time he fails and the game is over. End of the game on a caught stealing in the World Series. Maybe hasn't happened since Babe Ruth.

We proceeded to get crushed in Game 5, then lost an agonizingly close Game 6 to continue our legacy of playoff failure. I've attached the turning point Game 4, as well as the final Game 6. So close, and if we just flipped those two games it would have been a different story. We stranded a lot of guys on base throughout the series, which leads me into thinking that the Rangers need to start loading up on power.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Argonaut; 01-28-2020 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:10 PM   #72
Argonaut
All Star Starter

THE TEXAS RANGERS: A LEGACY OF FAILURE?

I've decided to do a bit of a retrospective on this Texas Rangers dynasty, seeing as how all I can really remember is playoff failure. Just how bad is it? It turns out it's pretty bad, at least in the playoffs.

As you can see from the attached screenshot, we've only had one bad year -- our first season in Texas. Since then we've been pretty brilliant in the regular season. We've made the playoffs 10 times out of 14 seasons, which is an amazing success.

But we've just won the World Series one time, in 1979. If you're just flipping coins and treat the teams equally, which they kind of are in the 4-team format, we would have been expected to win about 2 or 3 championships so far. As such I'm disappointed with our playoff record.

9 straight division titles and only 1 championship to show for it. What are some real-life parallels and how does this compare? The Atlanta Braves? Washington Capitals? I can't say the Buffalo Bills because sadly they didn't even get one title.

This screenshot reminded me of that brilliant year in 1977 though. A record 121 wins.. and check it.. 1007 runs! That's the most since Ted Williams and the Boston Red Sox scored 1027 in 1950. We also allowed only 461 runs in the championship year of 1979 which was cool. I can't find any data on that but it must be close to some sort of record.

Anyway this dynasty has been just the right mix of success and frustration to keep me interested for 14 seasons and counting.
Attached Images
Old 02-10-2020, 06:13 PM   #73
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1985-86 OFFSEASON: PALMEIRO, VALLE, AND CANSECO COME TO TEXAS

In an effort to spark the Rangers offense and bring some heavy bats to score runs with power, I've brought in some big names who've played for Texas.

Rafael Palmeiro was always a target of mine, and I wanted to trade the Cubs Sammy Sosa for him because it was fitting. Sosa appeared in my intake during the offseason, and I made the swap. The Cubs wanted some extra pieces, but oh well. Pete O'Brien has good ratings but I'm piling up a lot of 1B types on my roster so it's OK to lose him.

Jim Sundberg is starting to fade as far as his value goes, so I brought in Dave Valle to be my starting catcher until Pudge arrives. It took quite a bit to pry him away from Oakland, including Rick Honeycutt who was one of the best pitchers in the majors last year.

Later on I then decided to make another trade with the A's, this time for Jose Canseco. I'm piling up a lot of bad boys aren't I? The A's get quite a few pieces for him, but a lot of them are guys who can't really make the cut in Texas. So I'm happy with the trade.

I'm guessing if I'm doing a historical replay, the game won't really "realize" who did steroids and who didn't, so I think Palmeiro and Canseco have a shot at going in the Hall of Fame with a Rangers hat. They should benefit from playing in my park, which I think is set now to the most offensive park in the majors until Coors arrives. Raffy needs one more year in the minors I think, but Canseco has been playing for the A's already and can start in the OF or as DH for me.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-10-2020, 06:24 PM   #74
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1986 ALL-STAR BREAK: NECK AND NECK WITH OAKLAND

An old nemesis has caught up with Texas again, the Oakland Athletics! Back in the 70s they beat us to a few division titles before we've gone on our great division-winning streak.

Oakland has been helped by a lot of the players we sent to them, including Doyle Alexander (2.38 ERA) who is having an excellent season. Perhaps our trades to acquire Valle and Canseco will come back to bite us?

A lot of Rangers are hitting well, with Brian Downing and Will Clark especially playing great. We seem to be unlucky though, based on the stats I'm seeing. We're 3rd in AVG, 2nd in OBP, 1st in Batting WAR, but only 7th in Runs Scored? Seems like the sequencing is off. Perhaps it's partially because Harold Baines is underperforming his ratings in the all-important 2-slot.

I've attached the standings and the stats.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 02-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #75
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1986 END OF SEASON

The race between the Rangers and Athletics turned out to be a bit of a smokescreen. With the help of an undefeated July (after the All-Star Break), Texas blazed ahead to once again top the AL West.

For some reason I didn't screenshot the overall standings like I usually do, but we are joined in the playoffs by the Red Sox (again!), Mets (again!), and the Reds. Texas finished with a nice 113-49 record.

I've attached the batter and pitcher stats for the '86 season. Some great performances from our entire batting lineup, led by Brian Downing (162 wRC+, 6.8 WAR). Also some great pitching, with Nolan Ryan leading the way... and Tom Henke with a ridiculous 1.63 ERA and 4.5 WAR (!!) from the pen. He was 1 out away from pitching 100 innings too, heh.

The bad news though is that Scott Fletcher (5.5 WAR) -- our shutdown SS who can also hit -- got a season-ending injury in the last week of the season. That's a huge blow seeing as how our infield backups (Wayne Tolleson and Curt Wilkerson) are a big step down on both offense and defense. We'll see how it plays out.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-15-2020, 10:57 PM   #76
Ducks_on_the_Pond
Bat Boy

This dynasty you came up with is a really cool idea. I've enjoyed reading through your reports. Do you think you would've won that 1 WS title if you had implemented the rule to only acquire players who actually played for Texas right from the start?

My favorite years of MLB were 1975-1986, even though my favorite team (Cleveland) was terrible during that era. I've wanted to do historical simulations, but figured I would miss the scouting element. And since the Indians were awful, I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to replay those years. But your idea is an interesting workaround.

God knows the Indians gave away so much talent in the 70's & 80's, receiving little in return. What if they would've kept guys like Chambliss, Nettles, Eckersley, Gaylord Perry, etc. And then you consider the pitchers they obtained well past their prime, like Steve Carlton, Gooden, Hershiser, and Dennis Martinez. Sort of like in your dynasty, I could build an incredible rotation if I could bring these guys in earlier in their careers.

I wonder if there was some connection between the Rangers & Indians front offices. They were trading partners so often. Think of all the guys who played for both teams - Perry, Blyleven, Harrah, Bell, Hargrove, Len Barker, Julio Franco, Jim Bibby, Jim Kern, David Clyde, Alan Bannister.
Ducks_on_the_Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:16 PM   #77
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks_on_the_Pond View Post
This dynasty you came up with is a really cool idea. I've enjoyed reading through your reports. Do you think you would've won that 1 WS title if you had implemented the rule to only acquire players who actually played for Texas right from the start?

My favorite years of MLB were 1975-1986, even though my favorite team (Cleveland) was terrible during that era. I've wanted to do historical simulations, but figured I would miss the scouting element. And since the Indians were awful, I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to replay those years. But your idea is an interesting workaround.

God knows the Indians gave away so much talent in the 70's & 80's, receiving little in return. What if they would've kept guys like Chambliss, Nettles, Eckersley, Gaylord Perry, etc. And then you consider the pitchers they obtained well past their prime, like Steve Carlton, Gooden, Hershiser, and Dennis Martinez. Sort of like in your dynasty, I could build an incredible rotation if I could bring these guys in earlier in their careers.

I wonder if there was some connection between the Rangers & Indians front offices. They were trading partners so often. Think of all the guys who played for both teams - Perry, Blyleven, Harrah, Bell, Hargrove, Len Barker, Julio Franco, Jim Bibby, Jim Kern, David Clyde, Alan Bannister.
Thanks for your comment.

Maybe I wouldn't have won that particular World Series title in 1979, as Chet Lemon had a big role in it and he didn't fit my current rules. By the way I checked out Chet Lemon and he's still dominating in my universe in 1986, surely a lock for the Hall of Fame. Even though he didn't get in there in real life.

But I think I would have been good enough to win at least 1 World Series title in a re-boot from the start. Heck, I've been unlucky not to have won something even with my new rules implemented. Making the playoffs every year but always coming up short, it's really crazy. If I did it all again I would know better which players to prioritize. But maybe that would be less fun?

I recommend giving the Indians idea a go. Gaylord Perry is a horse in re-calc. And Eck is a monster in the years when he's an SP... he just had a 10 WAR season in my 1986! I'm sure you could do some damage in the AL East.

Yeah, funny about the Rangers/Indians trades... I replicated some of them and made some other deals as well along the way.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #78
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1986 FINAL STANDINGS & ALCS PREVIEW

I've attached the 1986 final standings and a preview of the ALCS against the Red Sox. The game does like my chances in terms of the lineup... but they do have Roger Clemens and Ozzie Smith so it'll be tough to score on them.

Trying to catch up with my posts here, so will only do light commentary and let the pictures explain things.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #79
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1986 ALCS: TEXAS RANGERS VS. BOSTON RED SOX

Texas' bad playoff woes continue in 1986, as the Red Sox take us out 4-2. I don't remember a lot of details, as it was a while ago. I do remember that they had a heck of a lot of LHB in their lineup, which made me realize I didn't have much in the way of LHP help in the bullpen to mitigate that. I attached a picture of Frank Tanana racking up a CGSO in Game 5, as he benefited from being a lefty.

You can see from the photo in Game 6... we had the bases loaded with 1 out in the bottom of the 9th, down 6-3. And we grounded into a double play! Brutal.

Disappointed in this one. Creating a nice team and racking up a lot of wins in the regular season never counts for much in the playoffs. We're snake-bitten for sure.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #80
Argonaut
All Star Starter

1986 PLAYOFFS, MVP, & OFFSEASON

Funny enough the Red Sox went on to lose to the Mets in the World Series. Funny because Boston still has the Curse of the Bambino in my universe, and because the Mets have now won back-to-back World Series. And I think 4 in their lifetime? Crazy.

Nolan Ryan also won the Cy Young and the MVP... very rare! I didn't even vote for him in either case as I didn't think he'd get it. But the voters definitely love ERA and bWAR, the latter of which is not easily viewable for me. It's surprising because Dennis Eckersley had a crazy 10.0 WAR. My guys were Top 3 in the voting, with Downing and Clark also getting votes. That's pretty wild, probably never happened.

I also shipped out Harold Baines for a decent reliever in McCullers. With Palmeiro coming up next year, we're far too heavy on the OF/1B/DH options. And the next re-calc says Baines can no longer field. So I'm glad to be out of his contract, which was kind of a bad deal that I signed.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by Argonaut; 03-05-2020 at 07:27 PM.