Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 01-10-2004, 12:30 AM   #1
thomamon
Global Moderator

Why does my team suck so bad?

OK, I am so frustraed right now with my team. It's the second season I took over of this team and after making what I thought were improvements, my team is worse then ever. I am giving a link to my team in BOSI, would someone please take a look at it and let me know what you think or make a recomondation?

http://bosi.allin1websolutions.com/t...e.php?tid=1195

Thanks in advance,

TM
thomamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:11 AM   #2
Johnny Slick
Banned

The first thing I notice is that 2/5ths of your starting rotation is god-awful. I looked at the histories of Bill Elk and Ryouta Seishisai (since I turned on "fog of war" in the league I do at home, that's what I'm most used to doing) and I see no reason why they'd do anything but suck for you. As it turns out, they're even worse than one would expect them to be, but it's not like either one's going to turn into a 20 game winner any time soon.

Dump them.

Overall, it looks like most of your problem is in your pitching more than your hitting. I'd take a long look at your bullpen as well.

John Craven
Johnny Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
thomamon
Global Moderator

Thanks John,

I actually new about my last two starters, I thought Ryouta would be better this year, but I guess not. I was using Eck just as a 5th starter hoping he would be decent. I have a bunch of pitching prospects I was hoping would help me out, I guess just not yet.

I thought my bullpen was OK, I made some free agents signings this past winter and developed some on my own. Who looks awful that I should replace there?

Thanks so much,

TM
Old 01-10-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
Hammer
Major Leagues

Even though your pitching needs more help that your hitting you still can't overlook the needs there as well.

It appears that Moler is just having a off year and I'd hope that he'd come around as he is one of your better hitters.

Second base should be ok within a couple years with Amann who should develop nicely, but you might want to go after a established veteran.

Shortstop needs to be up graded big time, If I were you I'd go after a SS who is at least a 300 hitter with moderate power and a good glove.

I'd possibly look at going after a vetran thirdbaseman, somebody who can hit somewhere between 260-280, with about 25-35 homeruns a year and have at least a 380 OBA.

Overall your outfield looks fairly good, but I'd probably go after a big hitter that can hit 40-50 homers and drive in 130.

Generally your team needs to have a higher OBA, your highest is .313 which really isn't all that good ( I know your catcher has a .375 but its only 24 AB's) With saying this I'd tend to go more for players that hit for average with a couple of big boppers to drive them in when they get on.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 02:43 PM   #5
thomamon
Global Moderator

What about W. Medina? I thought he looks pretty good, he now has a 9 for power and has batted over .300 in the past. He's still young so I think he'll still get better.

I've been looking for another outfielder too, I need a little more pop in my lineup.

One more question, after looking at my lineup, any suggestions for a lineup?

TM
Old 01-10-2004, 03:17 PM   #6
theREDdoor28
Minors (Triple A)

Looks like your offense is really under-achieving.

Disrepute - DVD Collection - eBay - GWB2004
</CENTER>
theREDdoor28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:26 PM   #7
nimzo5
Bat Boy

help

a problem with your question.
1) Without looking at the entire league it is very hard to deduce how much below average your team is. In particular one has to expect ratings of players to be relative..i.e. your guy with a 9 in home runs might only be marginally above average if the league norm is 7-8.

the best way to do it is have a general game plan...and thinking requires work and a little research...so if you want to improve be prepared to work at it. In a human league, the competition tends to be much stiffer and you need to understand a variety of issues.
a) forget batting average...study ops. that is onbase plus slugging most sabremetricians would argue ops is the end all be all of offense. Dont settle for guys with weak bb scores. Maybe a power hitter but too many on a team and your team will never have baserunners.
Pitching comes down to hits, hrs and bb. these are the categories that effect oppositional ops. so they are key, strikeouts are nice, but often times a pitcher with low endurance and high ko leave early to mediocre middle relief.
know you club, compare your team offensively and defensively to your opponents...study your teams boxscores.
lineup
1) best on base average who doesnt have lots of power
2) good hitter, reasonble obp low strikeouts
3) best hitter
4) biggest power hitter
5) 2nd best powerhitter
6) 3rd best
7-8-9 generally spots for guys who have weak bats

pay attention to your depth charts..dont let guys get tired
make sure you are compensating properly for lefty lefty effect
always have a plan...even if it might be wrong.

the rest is just numbers
Old 01-11-2004, 12:50 AM   #8
beatle
All Star Reserve

Why ask why?

Beatle
beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 10:23 PM   #9
Crapshoot
Hall Of Famer

nimzo's got the right idea- BA is a fairly useless stat given what else is available. For Pitching, a useful tip for young prospects is that a high velocity rating often indicates a better ability to retain their "prospect" status, and succeed in the long run- but use that in conjecture with your other evaluative tools.