Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
toxicavenger74
All Star Reserve

Minors v Reserve Roster

I've always played with a minors system in OOTP. Problem is that I hate having leagues that don't really mean anything so I have toyed with the idea of scrapping minors and going with a reserve roster in my new league.

Plus this will cut down on file size.

Problem is that it is such a paradigm shift for me I can't get over not having minors system. So I need to understand what life is like without a minors system before I go and commit the next few weeks/months playing out games with a reserve roster.

So what has been everyone's experience using only a reserve roster?
toxicavenger74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #2
raycascade
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Bump
raycascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #3
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Didn't like it. Went back to minors.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
mm7607
All Star Reserve

I prefer reserve rosters. They can be as big as you want. Players seem to progress well and are easier to follow. But that's just me cause I control all the teams.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
hfield007
All Star Starter

I kind of enjoy having hard numbers and stats at hand when trying to decide between multiple players to call up.

If you are playing without scouting though minors are kind of uselss injury traps. But if you play with scouting it just doesn't seem right to not use them imo.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfield007 View Post
I kind of enjoy having hard numbers and stats at hand when trying to decide between multiple players to call up.

If you are playing without scouting though minors are kind of uselss injury traps. But if you play with scouting it just doesn't seem right to not use them imo.
Good point. You're right.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Once you go reserve, you can't convert the league to minors... keep that in mind!
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Once you go reserve, you can't convert the league to minors... keep that in mind!
Why not?
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Why not?
You can it,s just a bit tricky. You first move ml rosters to 50 reset organizations. Call up good rookies still on reserve as the reserve roster can disappear after minor creation.
Create the minors. Reset ml rosters to 25 reset orgszt. Now 25 will be on ml 25 in aaa. You will have to fill w fictional for more minors beyond 1 level.

I do like reserves but tWhile players develop the get no improvement in position fielding, so an 18 yr old rated 140 at 2b at the draft at 21 is still 140 though his fielding ratings sucH as arm or error may have gotten better.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
You can it,s just a bit tricky. You first move ml rosters to 50 reset organizations. Call up good rookies still on reserve as the reserve roster can disappear after minor creation.
Create the minors. Reset ml rosters to 25 reset orgszt. Now 25 will be on ml 25 in aaa. You will have to fill w fictional for more minors beyond 1 level.

I do like reserves but tWhile players develop the get no improvement in position fielding, so an 18 yr old rated 140 at 2b at the draft at 21 is still 140 though his fielding ratings sucH as arm or error may have gotten better.
Tx, knew that, was reason I asked.

It's not tricky at all, I've used it many times. You don't necessarily have to fill minors either. You can create a bunch of minor league FA's as another option.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
ghostrobot
Minors (Double A)

I have a question that's loosely related to this topic.

Does anyone play with only one level of Minor Leagues?

Currently, I play with a reserve roster just to keep the file size on the lower side. My computer is old and battered and I'm afraid to push it too far. What if I elected to ditch the reserve roster and add only a AAA league? How would this effect player development? Obviously, some of the guys on the team would be fresh out of the draft and maybe too young for AAA while others might be players on the cusp of breaking into the bigs. Would those young guys still develop normally or would the game decide that they are playing at a level that is too high for their ability and then sack their ratings each year? Has anyone tried this?
ghostrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrobot View Post
I have a question that's loosely related to this topic.

Does anyone play with only one level of Minor Leagues?

Currently, I play with a reserve roster just to keep the file size on the lower side. My computer is old and battered and I'm afraid to push it too far. What if I elected to ditch the reserve roster and add only a AAA league? How would this effect player development? Obviously, some of the guys on the team would be fresh out of the draft and maybe too young for AAA while others might be players on the cusp of breaking into the bigs. Would those young guys still develop normally or would the game decide that they are playing at a level that is too high for their ability and then sack their ratings each year? Has anyone tried this?
Normal development. Markus has said that in the past. I often play with only R & AA to keep league file size down. Have not had any problems/abnormalities.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
ghostrobot
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Normal development. Markus has said that in the past. I often play with only R & AA to keep league file size down. Have not had any problems/abnormalities.
Excellent. Thanks for this.
ghostrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I use both reserves and minors but not every team is used the same.

I manually move players from Majors to Minors and also use reserve players here and there,

There is no affiliation between Majors and Minors so everything needs too be done manually.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfield007 View Post

I find them fine without scouting. I use real life league totals and modifiers so minor league stats are very realistic. I would completely lose interest if I didn't spend about 25%-35% of my time shepherding the very few prospects I get, through my minors. Even more satisfying are the very rare guys you sign in desperation because you have no SS or SP in A or AA left due to injury who end up at least as coffee drinkers.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #16
toxicavenger74
All Star Reserve

This is awesome guys. I totally forgot that I asked this question and since about June I have been playing Football Manager almost exclusively. Now I'm coming back and setting up my league and hit the forums and see this. What is interesting is that while I've been playing FM (focusing Lower League Management FYI), the part I miss the most is the development aspect. Not that its completely absent with your U21 and U18 teams but it was a huge learning that to enjoy OOTP the most, for me at least, I need the minor league management aspect to be part of it.
toxicavenger74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
hfield007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I find them fine without scouting. I use real life league totals and modifiers so minor league stats are very realistic. I would completely lose interest if I didn't spend about 25%-35% of my time shepherding the very few prospects I get, through my minors. Even more satisfying are the very rare guys you sign in desperation because you have no SS or SP in A or AA left due to injury who end up at least as coffee drinkers.
i meant more so if you just use the 100% scouting where you know for a fact what the players are ranked as, where you wouldn't really need numbers to back up a scout's finds. in that case they are nothing but injury traps. if you play stats only then you really should have minors.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote