Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Stat Help

So I'm looking for a new way to evaluate players. I am extremely old school with stats.

Pitchers I use era/w/L/Saves

Hitters I use BA/HR/RBI

So here is what I am looking for. For pitchers I have eased off the W/L stat. What I want is a stat that shows how good a pitcher has pitched despite his teams defense.

For hitters I am trying to get away from RBI's because it isn't the players fault if no one gets on base before him. Although I do think it comes into play for being clutch. HR and BA I still believe in.

What I want for a hitter is the best stat that isn't affected by other teammates getting on base.

Any help is welcomed. If you offer a suggestion please explain how the stat is calculated.

--------------------------------------No WAR suggestions please--------------------------------------

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
DFyvie
Major Leagues

For pitchers I look at FIP exclusively these days. With batters I look at ISO and OPS.. RC/27 is another I look at sometimes but usually just during the draft to help me decide between a few different guys...

With pitchers I often gauge the defense behind him (BABIP) as a context when looking at his ERA as it lets you know if he's had some bad luck/good luck. FIP is perfect as it practically ignores the defense.

Wikipedia does a decent job explaining all of these stats, btw.
DFyvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Go here:

Sabermetrics 101: Wrap-Up (And Announcement!) - Lookout Landing

Read all 24 linked Sabermetrics 101 posts in order.

Done.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
A quick and easy way to evaluate either pitchers or hitters is OPS+, which is OPS, but one better. Add SLG and OBP and then add OBP again. Better than just OPS.

For hitters, the best in-game metric is probably wOBA.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
MMastro92
Minors (Single A)

I'm not a big proponent of FIP. I think it rewards ground all pitchers above fly ball pitchers by design. Additionally, you can have a pretty bad pitcher with a low FIP simply because he gave up a lot of groundball and line drive singles. For example, I had a pitcher on my team who I knew was very poor based on managing every game. Yet his FIP was low because he never gave up fly balls. I personally like WHIP the most, then I'll look at things like ERA and BB/9. I do look at FIP, but just not exclusively, you need to look at it in conjunction with a few other stats.

For hitters I like OPS the most. After that, I look at the breakdown of OPS (between OBP and SLG), then things like WAR, RC/27, etc...

Completely forgot about wOBA, definitely the best quick snapshot of a hitter you can utilize.
MMastro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
A quick and easy way to evaluate either pitchers or hitters is OPS+, which is OPS, but one better. Add SLG and OBP and then add OBP again. Better than just OPS.

For hitters, the best in-game metric is probably wOBA.
Unless OOTP uses a drastically different version of OPS+, OPS+ is OPS adjusted to remove park effects and league effects, so that an OPS+ of 125 means that a player was 25% better than a league average player (who would be 100).
Avindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

OPS+ = 100 x (OBP/lgOBP*+SLG/lgSLG*- 1)
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
Mike45
Minors (Double A)

I like OPS for hitters (all the OPS +/w etc confuses me) and seperately (OBP for top of the lineup hitters.SLG for my middle of the lineup type guys).

And for pitchers, always have been a big fan of WHIP and K/BB ratio. Guy could be putting people on every inning and getting out of it so ERA low, but his WHIP is huge.
Mike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
Unless OOTP uses a drastically different version of OPS+, OPS+ is OPS adjusted to remove park effects and league effects, so that an OPS+ of 125 means that a player was 25% better than a league average player (who would be 100).
Well, Whatever you call SLG+OBP+OBP is better than just SLG+OBP, park adjusted or not.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

FanGraphs:

"On-base Plus Slugging Plus (OPS+) has not gained as much widespread acceptance, but is a more informative metric than OPS. This statistic normalizes a player’s OPS — it adjusts for small variables that might affect OPS scores (e.g. park effects) and puts the statistic on an easy-to-understand scale. A 100 OPS+ is league average, and each point up or down is one percentage point above or below league average. In other words, if a player had a 90 OPS+ last season, that means their OPS was 10% below league average.

Since OPS+ adjusts for league and park effects, it’s possible to use OPS+ to compare players from different years and on different teams."

Old 06-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
snepp
All Star Starter

Is OPS+ park adjusted in OOTP yet, or is it still just compared to the league?
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #12
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp View Post
Is OPS+ park adjusted in OOTP yet, or is it still just compared to the league?
It is Park Adjusted.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
It is Park Adjusted.
I thought it wasn't in OOTP. Has it always been like this or was it fixed recently?
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:08 AM   #14
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Well, Whatever you call SLG+OBP+OBP is better than just SLG+OBP, park adjusted or not.
That's true -- I think you're talking about wOBA, which is weighted (if memory serves) as well, and yes, it's an excellent stat for judging offensive contributions.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #15
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
That's true -- I think you're talking about wOBA, which is weighted (if memory serves) as well, and yes, it's an excellent stat for judging offensive contributions.
no...wOBA is more like Linear Weights....
Old 06-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

wOBA is a rating stat that consists of the summed values of the linear weights of a player's offensive events, scaled to on-base percentage. It has nothing to do with OPS or OPS+.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #17
Avindian
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
no...wOBA is more like Linear Weights....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
wOBA is a rating stat that consists of the summed values of the linear weights of a player's offensive events, scaled to on-base percentage. It has nothing to do with OPS or OPS+.
I know how it's calculated -- my reference was to part of The Book (by Tom Tango) which states that "OBP x 2 + SLG/3 is a close approximation of wOBA." I'd never heard of simply doubling OBP and making OPS, so I was trying to figure out where I'd heard what Questdog said before.