Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > Perfect Team 21
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team 21 Perfect Team 21 - The online revolution! Battle tens of thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

Too Many Promotions

I'm in a 24 team silver league 16 teams will be promoted 4 relegated. There are currently 11 teams with sub 500 records, 4 will get relegated, 4 will stay put and 4 will move up to an even tougher league, seems a bit unfair on those 3, there is also a 22 team league which has 12 teams with sub 500 records

Surely the amount of promotions needs to scale with the size of the league otherwise you are condemning people to play at a level which their team can't handle

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Orion
Major Leagues

It'll even out.

Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

No, Orion. It will not. The mad dash is on to shoehorn folks into the upper levels. It's a strategy that will result in a large number of unhappy customers.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
No, Orion. It will not. The mad dash is on to shoehorn folks into the upper levels. It's a strategy that will result in a large number of unhappy customers.
Once everything is populated there should be more relegations should even out as Orion said.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

So is everyone in agreement that it is not a problem, or is everyone in agreement that it is a problem that solves itself over a short amount of time?

Those are not the same thing...

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

My only point was to offer an observation—that short term unhappiness will be created. Judging the effect on the community and the game are beyond my pay grade. My strictly personal observation is that I don't see the rush to promote. Fewer folk at the top is not a bad thing...it makes getting there that much more of an accomplishment.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
Old 04-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
My only point was to offer an observation—that short term unhappiness will be created. Judging the effect on the community and the game are beyond my pay grade. My strictly personal observation is that I don't see the rush to promote. Fewer folk at the top is not a bad thing...it makes getting there that much more of an accomplishment.

A sub section of people will be unhappy no matter whey do to be honest.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
eldur00
All Star Reserve

It remains to be seen if the added amount of relagations will be sufficient. Nobody can argue the aggressive promotions in the past did cause some headaches for some customers who felt like they were stuck in a level they had no chance of realistically compete in, but sucked just a little less than others and were stuck in limbo. Some for weeks.

It wouldn't even surprise me if that was the first cause for the tanking we had been seeing, too.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

This is a much better solution than how things started out last year IMO (as are the levels in general).
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #10
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Quite true. No rollout is without growing pains, and on the whole I think it's an extremely good process. I'm a bit of a perfectionist (actually probably closer to OCD) about some things, and it colors my judgement sometimes. That's why I'm trying to just make observations rather than blanket bombs. We're off to an extremely good start.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
HelpDodgers
Major Leagues

Methinks everyone who isn't playing .500 ball should be regulated.

HelpDodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #12
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpDodgers View Post
Methinks everyone who isn't playing .500 ball should be regulated.

Regulated is fine, but if you relegate them you need to balance that with promotions. How will you make that dynamic?

Old 04-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #13
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Regulated is fine, but if you relegate them you need to balance that with promotions. How will you make that dynamic?
How does one make the mathematically impossible dynamic? I would like to know that too... Some people's ideas.......

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:14 AM   #14
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

There are currently 9 silver leagues, that will result in 144 teams in gold, presumably 4 full leagues and a 24, which will result in 80 teams in diamond if it stays at 16 up 4 down, which seems an awful number, 2 30s and a 20? maybe two smaller leagues and a 30, they could easily cut the number being promoted to bring it to just 60 teams in the first diamond league to make two fairly balanced leagues

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #15
HelpDodgers
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
How does one make the mathematically impossible dynamic? I would like to know that too... Some people's ideas.......
My education isn't into statistics (as you can tell by my teams) but for conversation purposes... something like

In most levels .600 ball or playoffs get you promoted. .400 ball gets you demoted

In the singular perfect league, playoff teams stay, then World Series champions from diamond get promoted ranked by season win %

then some pyramid type flow bases on win %

--

Just an idea.

I do think there should be only 1 perfect league, and 20 diamond leagues... and everything else can be moved around based on need. At long as top 2 levels are absolute limits, everything else should fall in place.

Now how to do this, that is for smarter animals.

HelpDodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #16
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
It'll even out.
It may or may not even out. There's a chance it will even out, though.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #17
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
It remains to be seen if the added amount of relagations will be sufficient. Nobody can argue the aggressive promotions in the past did cause some headaches for some customers who felt like they were stuck in a level they had no chance of realistically compete in, but sucked just a little less than others and were stuck in limbo. Some for weeks.

It wouldn't even surprise me if that was the first cause for the tanking we had been seeing, too.
Yeah, there are some funny responses to the promotions and relegations...We're all free to respond strategically to 3-20 promotions & 3-20 relegations. Remember your team is going to compete in a particular league every week...if it gets to the point where there's 6 or 7 weeks and it seems your team just isn't in the right league, then you may want to post something, but otherwise adjustments can be made on either side so to speak.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #18
MrPibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Halfway through the week, I'm 51-42 and I'm a whopping 28 games behind my division leader. Even though I'm in line for a wild card, I'm seriously considering tanking because I'm tired of blown out by guys with a full compliment of 99's and 100's.

People keep saying it'll even out, but how am I even in the same league, let alone division with someone who's obviously light years ahead of me.

This is my first time playing a OOTB game, and it's really a buzzkill.
MrPibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #19
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPibb View Post
Halfway through the week, I'm 51-42 and I'm a whopping 28 games behind my division leader. Even though I'm in line for a wild card, I'm seriously considering tanking because I'm tired of blown out by guys with a full compliment of 99's and 100's.

People keep saying it'll even out, but how am I even in the same league, let alone division with someone who's obviously light years ahead of me.

This is my first time playing a OOTB game, and it's really a buzzkill.

Because all the levels haven't been filled out yet. Once they are, there will be more relegations to keep people in league that makes sense. At the start there are big teams moving up.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #20
MrPibb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Because all the levels haven't been filled out yet. Once they are, there will be more relegations to keep people in league that makes sense. At the start there are big teams moving up.
But i'm moving right up with them. That seems to be my issue. I had a winning record each year, never sniffing the division leads and I'm moving up right along with the whales.

It seems like team composition should be a factor vs pure win-loss. I'm mostly all gold at this point, the guy ahead of me is all diamond and perfects, and some poor guy in the basement is still mostly all silver.

Things might eventually even out, but us three teams have no business playing in the same league, let alone division.

So far, I am not at all impressed with this games matchmaking.
MrPibb is offline   Reply With Quote