Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Logos, Graphics, and HTML

Old 11-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

How Can We Get the Graphics Forum Active Again?

I'm concerned that the great OOTPB Graphics Forum is not as active as it once was... I communicated with one of our fine graphics gurus recently and he said it is a "dying forum"... that really saddens me... this Forum has really been a great place for me to get help for my dynasty report leagues... also, I just really like to look at new ideas for logos, jerseys and graphics... just simply for entertainment... but, I have also gotten quite a few "already-produced" team logos, jerseys and caps for my North Island Recreational League, South Island League, State Line League and Southern Association recreation dynasty league.

As you know, good graphics will greatly increase your interest in your leagues... I found my Islandian Pro Alliance dynasty report doubled in views when I began to use well-done custom graphics instead of the poor OOTP-generated graphics... my daily views went from 150 to 250 when I did this... often it was 300 per day... one day it was 574 views.

Any suggestions how we can revive it?

One of the reasons for the Graphics Forum decline is the available graphics software that gave us the opportunity to create our own logos, jerseys and caps... while this is wonderful for the technologically inclined and the graphically gifted... for the tech challenged like me, it just means I can do borderline average graphics at best... nothing like the great graphics gurus... for me to get good graphics I have to have their help... justafan and ericjaffe created really good software for you... cephasjames and silvam14 also gave us great sources for graphics.

Do you think more people posting custom requests would increase the traffic on the Graphics Forum.… I personally hesitate to post very often... I don't want to be greedy and a pest.

By custom requests, I mean just one or two requests at a time.... not a request for a 10-20-30 team league.

Please comment and help us get this wonderful Graphics Forum back where it used to be.… and please be constructive in your comments.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-01-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
munstermash
Minors (Triple A)

I don't put out many request either as i try to make my own with Photoshop but struggle to get them to the level of work others have done.

I use a lot of uniforms off of here.

Is it possible the great work on the jersey creator and cap creator has more people using those tools and not posting?

Maybe it is time for a new mega thread centered around a collection?

Has the new perfect team format changed the way people are playing?

Last edited by munstermash; 11-01-2019 at 01:41 PM.
munstermash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by munstermash View Post
I don't put out many request either as i try to make my own with Photoshop but struggle to get them to the level of work others have done.

I use a lot of uniforms off of here.

Is it possible the great work on the jersey creator and cap creator has more people using those tools and not posting?

Maybe it is time for a new mega thread centered around a collection?

Has the new perfect team format changed the way people are playing?
Good comments, mustermash.

Yes, definitely... the software has helped many people do their own... even CD is making his own now... and they are pretty good... but like you and me, they are not as good as the graphics gurus that were active on the Graphics Forum.

We already have some really good work on the Sticky Threads listed at the top of the Forum page... they have a wealth of graphics, if one is willing to go through the threads... however, many of us want a custom-made work to fit our own personal needs.

But I have gotten many fine logos, jerseys and caps from low, txranger, knuckler, Lawn Loaf and cephasjames' fine Stickied threads... I just use what they have already created... still I have a few personal custom requests from time to time done by rocknfire7 and the_mad_monk.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-01-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
TrbldWiseman
Major Leagues

The logo-, jersey-, cap- creators may have given more people who wouldn't normally create more options so they don't come on the forums as much.

I know, I personally would love the templates that the major contributors made available because I know I have many ideas I would like to share with everyone but am missing those tools (not a fan of the jersey creator as I feel it limits what I can do)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
No Pepper
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrbldWiseman View Post
The logo-, jersey-, cap- creators may have given more people who wouldn't normally create more options so they don't come on the forums as much.

I know, I personally would love the templates that the major contributors made available because I know I have many ideas I would like to share with everyone but am missing those tools (not a fan of the jersey creator as I feel it limits what I can do)
I can share my template but it is not as Jim Henson said (simple). I had/have a clean version lying around somewhere on the various hard drives I have about, what a mess! Anyways, it's a Photoshop file.

Despite this being a community, it does seem somewhat barren at times. I think that is a result of the many ways one can play the game (online league, PT, solo, dynasty reporting, etc). The visual aspect of OOTP is just one part of the experience. Creation burnout, end of the baseball season, etc, are all possible reasons for what you may be seeing Eugene. Don't let it dishearten you!
No Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yes, I wish I had better skills graphically... I can only do the basics that justafan will do.

Wish I could do it well enough to do an occasional custom request... but I'm not there yet... I don't know how to change colors on lettering and images... I can only use images I get from cephasjames… but I can't change anything on it... just have to use it as is... which is still great for me.

I may try to learn to use Gimp, a free software... many have recommended it.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-02-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pepper View Post
I can share my template but it is not as Jim Henson said (simple). I had/have a clean version lying around somewhere on the various hard drives I have about, what a mess! Anyways, it's a Photoshop file.

Despite this being a community, it does seem somewhat barren at times. I think that is a result of the many ways one can play the game (online league, PT, solo, dynasty reporting, etc). The visual aspect of OOTP is just one part of the experience. Creation burnout, end of the baseball season, etc, are all possible reasons for what you may be seeing Eugene. Don't let it dishearten you!
Creation burnout is a very likely source... people have graciously done about 500 hundred teams for me over the past 15 years.

It is truly amazing what txranger, knuckler and others have done on the Retro Style thread... 1,754,000 views so far as of today... that is amazing.

Hope both knuckler and tranger continue it, but I could understand if they are tired of doing it.

Maybe rocknfire, the_mad_monk and other talented guys can keep it going.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-01-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
TrbldWiseman
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post

I may try to learn to use Gimp, a free software... many have recommended it.
GIMP is a good program. I use that along with Inkscape and Paint when I create logos/unis for my fantasy leagues.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
GIMP is a good program. I use that along with Inkscape and Paint when I create logos/unis for my fantasy leagues.
What is Inkskape?... is it a free software?
Old 11-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #10
abell1198
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Good comments, mustermash.

Yes, definitely... the software has helped many people do their own... even CD is making his own now... and they are pretty good... but like you and me, they are not as good as the graphics gurus that were active on the Graphics Forum.

We already have some really good work on the Sticky Threads listed at the top of the Forum page... they have a wealth of graphics, if one is willing to go through the threads... however, many of us want a custom-made work to fit our own personal needs.

But I have gotten many fine logos, jerseys and caps from low, txranger, knuckler, Lawn Loaf and cephasjames' fine Stickied threads... I just use what they have already created... still I have a few personal custom requests from time to time done by rocknfire7 and the_mad_monk.
Eugene, I agree the software has probably cut down on the requests. Personally, I have never asked because there seemed to be so many requests out there already and I felt the guys doing great work were already burdened with those. However, part of the issue may be that everyone doing their own work (like me) aren't sharing their creations with the community. Good or not, I will (hopefully sooner than later) start posting my creations as a way to pay back the community for all of the hours of fun OOTP has brought me over the years. Maybe that's one way to get the forum more active is to simply ask everyone to share their creations.

Current Dynasty:
Collegiate Baseball Association

Completed Dynasties:
World Series League
March Madness 2015
abell1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
TrbldWiseman
Major Leagues

Quote:
What is Inkskape?... is it a free software?
Yes It's a free graphics program Not as in depth as Photoshop or GIMP but I find it's a little easier to use when adding minor details
Old 11-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #12
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abell1198 View Post
Eugene, I agree the software has probably cut down on the requests. Personally, I have never asked because there seemed to be so many requests out there already and I felt the guys doing great work were already burdened with those. However, part of the issue may be that everyone doing their own work (like me) aren't sharing their creations with the community. Good or not, I will (hopefully sooner than later) start posting my creations as a way to pay back the community for all of the hours of fun OOTP has brought me over the years. Maybe that's one way to get the forum more active is to simply ask everyone to share their creations.
Good comments, abell1198... you know, I just may post all of my dynasty league graphics... most of them done by the really good graphics gurus... and, sadly, a few of mine... but people might want to use some of them for their leagues.

It might be a way to thank the fine folks in the OOTP Community for all the wonderful help and advice they have given me over the past 15 years or so.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-01-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #13
munstermash
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Pepper View Post

I would love to get a copy your template, the one i have is rather old and limited.
munstermash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #14
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

Speaking for myself, I just haven't had the "creative juices" flowing like I used to when I first started with my creations.

My activity has tailed off quite a bit recently. I just don't have as much motivation as I once did, but it's no fault of the community.
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #15
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Speaking for myself, I just haven't had the "creative juices" flowing like I used to when I first started with my creations.

My activity has tailed off quite a bit recently. I just don't have as much motivation as I once did, but it's no fault of the community.
Good comment... thank you.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #16
rocknfire7
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (4)
I have very active kids. Following them around to all their activities takes up most of my time. I would love to help out more. Just don’t have the time I used to have.

My supplemental workload is being drastically reduced ( as of today, yeah!!), so I can potentially help out more.

My problem is is that my templates are so complex and full of multiple layers ( those stripes I made for your Bayou Blue jerseys is a rough draft that added about 10 layers alone) and I am not the type to spit out several jerseys a day. I also spend a lot of time playing what if’s and making my own jerseys that I don’t automatically share.

I use a very old version of PSD that I purchased almost 20 years ago. There are a few free versions that are very close to PSD out there: Photopea and Krita are a few options and very similar.
rocknfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #17
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknfire7 View Post
I have very active kids. Following them around to all their activities takes up most of my time. I would love to help out more. Just don’t have the time I used to have.

My supplemental workload is being drastically reduced ( as of today, yeah!!), so I can potentially help out more.

My problem is is that my templates are so complex and full of multiple layers ( those stripes I made for your Bayou Blue jerseys is a rough draft that added about 10 layers alone) and I am not the type to spit out several jerseys a day. I also spend a lot of time playing what if’s and making my own jerseys that I don’t automatically share.

I use a very old version of PSD that I purchased almost 20 years ago. There are a few free versions that are very close to PSD out there: Photopea and Krita are a few options and very similar.
Man, you did a very fine job on my Bayou Bleu Blues... hope I didn't take too much of your time... 10 layers sounds like a lot of time and tedious work to get the finished product.

If you ever do a custom request for me again... please just do it as quickly and simply as possible... please never spend a lot of time on my requests.

Just tell me, "EC, that would take too much time... sorry, my friend."
Old 11-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #18
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Speaking only for myself I have gigabytes of graphics made by the fine folks who post here. Collected over 12 versions of OOTP. Not to mention everything I've made myself. After participation in the minor league historical projects I have a logo and uniform set for every team in the game through every year. Every college team at every level. High school, summer leagues, endless fictional sets. I'm good. I don't need any more.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:28 PM   #19
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Speaking only for myself I have gigabytes of graphics made by the fine folks who post here. Collected over 12 versions of OOTP. Not to mention everything I've made myself. After participation in the minor league historical projects I have a logo and uniform set for every team in the game through every year. Every college team at every level. High school, summer leagues, endless fictional sets. I'm good. I don't need any more.
Could be that's why the Graphics Forum is not active like it used to be... not many people need any more graphics.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:10 AM   #20
the_mad_monk
Major Leagues

Quote:
How Can We Get the Graphics Forum Active Again?
Free beer!
the_mad_monk is offline   Reply With Quote