Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary

Old 12-08-2015, 12:15 AM   #1
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Stock news stories/commentary

I don't think there's a way to do this for sharing for others, but if there is...can someone let us know?

Otherwise, would like to create a thread for contributing more news stories for next year's version. Folks mentioned the lack of fan interest/engagement stories and that seems weird in a social media age. I'd love to do some stories from the team's social media department or from other areas of the franchise that the GM would hear from periodically to let him know when they've taken a hit on fan interest because of this thing or that thing.

Like when a player gets suspended for drugs. Or when the GM trades a "very popular" player. Or when a guy gets signed at the deadline and peaks popularity. Seems like a valuable edition, the components are there, mostly just needs stories. I can model it in my own league easily, but since you can't share that with others...wondering the best way to put it out there.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Just please include a way to turn off these social media stories. It will really destroy the immersion to have Twitter and Facebook in my 1960's leagues.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:29 AM   #3
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Just please include a way to turn off these social media stories. It will really destroy the immersion to have Twitter and Facebook in my 1960's leagues.
I doubt it'll happen at all. I was just kicking around ideas. I was more interested in whether or not there's a way to add stock stories period so people could download them. Not so much specifically about social media, just anything.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
I doubt it'll happen at all. I was just kicking around ideas. I was more interested in whether or not there's a way to add stock stories period so people could download them. Not so much specifically about social media, just anything.
I like that idea. If they could be bundled in a pack, you could tailor them to certain eras like Questdog's name mod.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I like that idea. If they could be bundled in a pack, you could tailor them to certain eras like Questdog's name mod.
Precisely what I was thinking. Right now the feature is limited by what the game comes loaded with and there's a real disincentive to creating them for your own league because the copy doesn't populate throughout new leagues, it's just like great for an online league that has a lot of writers but not as great for solo players.

So it'd be a feature for them more than anybody, but still lots of people who play solo and never touch an online league.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 AM   #6
T.J. Lauerman
Baseball Community Manager

Come on, you know that given the chance, Babe Ruth would be a Tweeting machine.

Out of the Park Baseball 25 is available to pre-order at our Webstore or you can add it to your Steam Wishlist.

OOTP Baseball Go 24 is available on the Google Play, and the iOS App Store.

Follow us on X / Instagram / Facebook / Twitch / YouTube.

Check out the video archives of my Acuña Matata Braves, ShoTime Angels, Redbirds Rising Cardinals and Chicago Hope White Sox franchises.
T.J. Lauerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
IStillDream
Minors (Double A)

This would be great. I have a suggestions thread for new news items up in the Suggestions area, but having it as a Mod could work well too.
IStillDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:45 AM   #8
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

This is still a needed feature five years later. It's insane that we can't improve the news stories. Not everyone plays in an online league or Perfect team, throw the solo/off-line players a bone.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #9
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
This is still a needed feature five years later. It's insane that we can't improve the news stories. Not everyone plays in an online league or Perfect team, throw the solo/off-line players a bone.
What exactly are you talking about? The short news items like "player finds his lost dog"? Or are you talking about storylines? Either way, I don't see what's preventing people from suggesting stories themselves. In particular, if you have any storyline ideas you'd like to see incorporated into the game, I'd be delighted to hear them.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:06 AM   #10
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
What exactly are you talking about? The short news items like "player finds his lost dog"? Or are you talking about storylines? Either way, I don't see what's preventing people from suggesting stories themselves. In particular, if you have any storyline ideas you'd like to see incorporated into the game, I'd be delighted to hear them.
I'm not talking about storylines [I've always kept those off since maybe the first version they were introduced] I'm talking about headlines for game results, being able to write tokens for your own news stories for results after games, complete with quotes. Right now, you could create your own but it'd only be for your game and there's no real reason to do that in-game for solo/off-line players anyway.

The first post already outlines what I meant. Right now, the game is not consistent about telling you when things happen if you're not following along. It should be easier to track what's happening. You never know when a team retires a number and there's still nowhere to track all of the suspensions in a league at a given time, which is like...basic.

We also can't track a team's playoff appearances with any real specificity, it's just the little "x" inside the almanac and the little "at a glance" but nothing else.

But if there were an ability to add them like storylines in a .xml file [which is clunky but better than nothing] then people could write news stories and add a bit of "journalistic flair" to the stuff that already gets generated rather than the same format we've seen for over a decade now.

Last edited by darkcloud4579; 04-04-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:05 PM   #11
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

You made me laugh sooooo hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. Lauerman View Post
Come on, you know that given the chance, Babe Ruth would be a Tweeting machine.
3 AM, drunk as a skunk, a 'lady friend' in tow, and the Babe reaches over to tweet...that's a picture you can't unsee.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote