Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-02-2015, 12:35 AM   #1
Havokk
Minors (Single A)

Exclamation Players Learning new positions

I know during spring training players learn a new position quickly. What about the minors. Lets say a player has never played 1B and you put him at that position, how long in games will it take him to learn that position and get good at it?

What about the Majors? Same result?
Havokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:45 AM   #2
xx2khazard
Minors (Single A)

a lot of it really depends on his current ratings and if they are good enough to transfer quickly to another position.

look this is from the actual manual : OOTP follows the concept of the "defensive spectrum." The defensive spectrum is as follows: DH - 1B - LF - RF - 3B - CF - 2B - SS. Generally speaking, the further to the right, the harder the position is to play and the harder it will be to convert a player to that position. Position players can learn to play catcher, but it often takes a very long time, and they typically don't make very good ones.
xx2khazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:08 AM   #3
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

My question is, does the length of the season matter when gaining experience? Meaning, if I have an 84 game season, would it take 2 seasons to gain the same experience as a player in a 162 game season?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:15 AM   #4
TonyJ
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havokk View Post
I know during spring training players learn a new position quickly. What about the minors. Lets say a player has never played 1B and you put him at that position, how long in games will it take him to learn that position and get good at it?

What about the Majors? Same result?
It takes about 30 games to gain a rating at the position. To actually be good at it takes a couple seasons. The minors is the perfect place to do this. Doing it at the major league level is...interesting
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
rstoomeyii
Minors (Single A)

when you go into the player editor it will base their ability off of games played. i'm not 100% positive, but based off of that you need 200 games at a position to max out your ability there
rstoomeyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
TonyJ
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoomeyii View Post
when you go into the player editor it will base their ability off of games played. i'm not 100% positive, but based off of that you need 200 games at a position to max out your ability there
Yep, this is accurate.
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoomeyii View Post
You are saying that every game played gets 1 added to the position rating? Are you sure about that?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
You are saying that every game played gets 1 added to the position rating? Are you sure about that?
No, let's say the player has a talent to be 50/100 at a position with full experience. Full experience is defined in the editor as 200, a player starts off with 0. Each game has a chance to add 1 depending on other factors I won't get into here.

Let's say a player has earned 100 of 200 experience and still has the talent to be 50/100. Since he has 50% of the experience to become his best at the position, it would display as 25/100.

OOTP Grand League Champion 2015
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
subtle
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJ View Post
It takes about 30 games to gain a rating at the position. To actually be good at it takes a couple seasons. The minors is the perfect place to do this. Doing it at the major league level is...interesting
The only problem I have with positional learning is how many errors a decent infielder (someone with mediocre error rating) will make at 1B while learning the position. There's no way around it, unfortunately, but usually 1B is a position most non-Mark Reynolds players will pick-up really quickly without damaging the team too much. At most, they field a few balls out of position, ranging too far and cutting off the 2nd baseman.

Still, I'll take OOTP's method of positional learning over something like Baseball Mogul where players can never change positions. I love it when a left-handed player randomly has just enough infield skills to play third base so I can get a left-handed third baseman. It almost never happens, though.
subtle is offline   Reply With Quote