Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #21
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

so it's just a one time upload during startup? or will it send info at other times?
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

So obviously if this happens on start up, then it must be collecting that data from the previous time you started OOTP, right?

There will be plenty of variance, for example, one time I might open OOTP, update my online league file and spend a half hour doing things. Next time I might open up the game, pull up a solo league and maybe let it sim for 20 or 30 yrs, then walk away and watch TV or do something else while it's simming.

I don't see how you will gather any info that's reliable, since everytime I open OOTP it's probably going to be different usage, which definitely will not give any indication whatsoever of my usage, unless you gather a couple years (real time) worth of data.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 09-20-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
snepp
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
There will be plenty of variance, for example, one time I might open OOTP, update my online league file and spend a half hour doing things. Next time I might open up the game, pull up a solo league and maybe let it sim for 20 or 30 yrs, then walk away and watch TV or do something else while it's simming.

I don't see how you will gather any info that's reliable, since everytime I open OOTP it's probably going to be different usage, which definitely will not give any indication whatsoever of my usage, unless you gather a couple years (real time) worth of data.

What does it matter if the usage is different each time? Isn't that the point of collecting the data in the first place, to see how the game is being used?

In your case, it would show you using it for a variety of functions. Am I missing something?
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #24
kmaslan621
Bat Boy

am I gonna be able to say no at work and yes at home?
kmaslan621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #25
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaslan621 View Post
Nobody at work will ever know.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #26
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Will it help Leagues that exit before even getting into the Game?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #27
kehowey
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Yeah, I typically refuse such requests but you guys have earned enough of my trust over the years to allow it.
Count me in. I think Usage Tracker lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge.
kehowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #28
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
so it's just a one time upload during startup? or will it send info at other times?
It's just a one time upload each time you start OOTP 12, exactly.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #29
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaslan621 View Post
Yes, of course, if it's two different computers.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #30
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
So obviously if this happens on start up, then it must be collecting that data from the previous time you started OOTP, right?
Yes, it saves the accumulated counter values in a binary file on your computer. Whenever you close OOTP, it writes the updated data to the file. When you load OOTP next time, it reads from the file and sends the info to our server, where your previous data will be overwritten. To find your previous record in the database, we need the unique random key mentioned above, which is saved on your computer and also in our database.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #31
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
..For sure this procedure is not unusual these days and I echo the sentiments of those above who are thankful for the explanation. You probably should continue to make this disclosure someplace prominent for future sales...
I agree. Reassurance is very important. I'm one of those peope who strongly dislikes the idea of information being collected about me by people I don't know. I dislike the idea of strangers having access to information about me that I have not put out myself. Even my Facebook page has only the barest information.

Privacy may be difficult to maintain these days, but at least I want to make snoopers work for what they get.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #32
Celtic Forever
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
In some ways it's too bad that it's anonymous, it would be cool if y'all could periodically post a list of the top 10, 20, 50 or 100 ootp addicts. Would be curious to see where I stand amongst(is that even a word?) my peers.
Amongst is totally a word. No - shhh! Shhhh! You're welcome!
Celtic Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #33
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

can we get the network info that it would use, for example port numbers or whatnot just in case any who play at work can deal with firewalls and such.
or even be able to change the settings if need be
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #34
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

I'm not too concerned about this as I won't have much usage to track until (maybe) OOTP13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #35
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvam14 View Post
I'm not too concerned about this as I won't have much usage to track until (maybe) OOTP13.

I heard the main goal of this tracker was to find out how many people play with financials turned off. I think the goal is to make financial mandatory in the future.............
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #36
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I heard the main goal of this tracker was to find out how many people play with financials turned off. I think the goal is to make financial mandatory in the future.............

Old 09-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #37
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
can we get the network info that it would use, for example port numbers or whatnot just in case any who play at work can deal with firewalls and such.
or even be able to change the settings if need be
Same port as your browser uses when you open a web page.
If you can open a web page, OOTP should be able to run the usage tracker as well.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #38
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

I'm actually starting to feel good about this in terms of improving game playability and perhaps determining the proper direction of this game for the future. For example, will the usage tracker be able to report the use of options, such as background music and animation, versus the amount of time the game is played? That would give clues as to how much certain features are valued by serious players. [Please, no debates on these features.]
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #39
Dr. dru
All Star Reserve

I'll be turning this off as I play this game more than 70 hours a week and I don't want anyone to know it's me. It's not worth losing my job over even if there is a small chance of this getting out. Anyone can hack the OOTP website and publish this info online.

Dr. Dru is your doctor. Listen to your doctor. He knows what's best for you.
Dr. dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #40
bosunmate
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. dru View Post
I'll be turning this off as I play this game more than 70 hours a week and I don't want anyone to know it's me. It's not worth losing my job over even if there is a small chance of this getting out. Anyone can hack the OOTP website and publish this info online.
Where did you say you worked.....
bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote