Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
mlb.tv

Might as well start the yearly thread. Switching sides of the ocean means I am going to have find an alternate way of watching games this season.
NASN 1 and 2 can only go so far.

I know from reading past years opinions on the service that their are many unhappy customers.
If I understand the service agreement correctly I think I will be free from any blackouts and can watch games live if I so choose.
That may not really matter since I would have to destroy my sleep schedule to watch games live.

A few questions to those who have used the service in the past.
What are the connection speeds like? Is the video choppy? Is downloading archived games fast or slow?
Is the HD worth it? Is it anywhere near 720p?
Is spending the extra money on premium worth it?
Is the service overal worth the money?
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Eumel
Major Leagues

Well, I have no other means to watch baseball, so for me, it's definitely worth it. The HD picture is quite decent, most of the time, although they've had server overload problems in the past, particularly early in the season.

There are indeed no blackouts in Germany, even during the playoffs. The archived games work fine too, so if you don't mind watching the next day, you don't have to mess up your sleep patterns.
Eumel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
rem
Hall Of Famer

I think mlb.tv is great, but customer service is really bad and it's impossible to cancel. They auto renew your subscription each year.

You shouldn't have any blackout problems.

2005 Winner of LL's Pick the Loser Contest! - 15-0
rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

One other question.
Is it possible to download archived games and save them to your HDD? What format are they in? If I could somehow put them onto a memory stick or onto my iPhone and watch them while I commute that would be beyond awesome.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

IIRC, the only way to "download" them is to record the stream real-time.

In the past, I've used Net Transport to snag Gameday Audio archives (feed it the mms: address and away it goes), but that didn't work for the video.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by remangiii View Post
I think mlb.tv is great, but customer service is really bad and it's impossible to cancel. They auto renew your subscription each year.

You shouldn't have any blackout problems.
The auto renew needs your permission. When it comes up just decline. It worked fine for me.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #7
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
IIRC, the only way to "download" them is to record the stream real-time.

In the past, I've used Net Transport to snag Gameday Audio archives (feed it the mms: address and away it goes), but that didn't work for the video.
I figured as much, that question was more hopefully than anything. It would be nice however to carry the games on a portable device like a iPod or PSP.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
rem
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
The auto renew needs your permission. When it comes up just decline. It worked fine for me.
It didn't always.

2005 Winner of LL's Pick the Loser Contest! - 15-0
rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Erik W.
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by remangiii View Post
It didn't always.
They've changed it. This year when I signed up for MLB Audio I even had an upfront option for auto-renewal.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

I ordered the service on Monday and have been mostly pleased with it so far. The live video is perfectly watchable on SDTV settings and watchable most of the time at 720p. I do get my choppieness and stutter now and then and sometimes the video and audio get out of synch. If I pause the broadcast and start it again it seems to solve that.

Watching archived broadcasts is also fantastic and there is never any lag with those. If I let the download start and then pause it for about 5 minutes my connection is fast enough to keep pace with the game on HD settings for the entire game. Fantastic.

So for the money this is a very good service. The watching four games at a single time function also works well although only avaliable in SD.
Since 80% of the time I will be watching archived games from the day before I don't really have to worry about the lag.

I would rate the service about 90% so far. In order for it to be perfect the lag issues need to be worked out and there needs to be a option to download games and be able to take them with you on a video iPod or PSP. I understand the legal reasons for not being allowed to do so but perhaps a liscense system could be worked out where all your downloaded games expire at the end of the season.

All in all this is a good substitute for being able to watch games on TV. The HD quality is just as good as a TV broadcast at 720p.
And I am not subject to blackouts and I can follow all the teams I am interested in (if I have the time).

One more thing I wish was avaliable is something like the NFL does for there games. Where they cut out all of the in between play action and cut the games down to 30 minutes.
If MLB could cut away all the in between pitch stuff and make compressed games avaliable that would be awesome for those days when I do not have the time to watch a full 3.5 hour game.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
Bonedwarf
All Star Starter

Apparently the condensed games will be returning this year to MLBTV from what I've read, but they'll be the following day, not the same day.

So glad they've dumped that Silverlight atrocity. The new Flash player has it's issues, but it's still in beta and I've been amazed at the quality so far. Very impressive. I've signed up for the top package. I want the DVR so I can pause live games. (Often get distracted with kids and the like.) Plus I like the ability to watch multiple games, highlight players and watch their AB's etc... (Would have been even cooler had I gotten into a fantasy league this year.)

Blue Jays games are blacked out for me despite being over 2000 miles away from Toronto. Good job I loathe the Blue Jays. (Mainly due to crap like this and having them rammed down my throat and it being assumed I'm a fan because I'm in Canada. Well I preferred the Expos, so screw the Jays.)

I captured a ton of the audio from MLB's site a few years ago simply capturing the audio off my soundcard with a program whose name I don't remember.

There's also the "At Bat" iPhone app that's coming out very soon that'll have Gameday Audio in it for what I gather.

And for the record when I signed up, the small print at the bottom clearly gave an EMAIL address to write to if you want to cancel.
Bonedwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedwarf View Post
I captured a ton of the audio from MLB's site a few years ago simply capturing the audio off my soundcard with a program whose name I don't remember.
Messer - Memo Session Sound Recorder?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #13
Y0DA55
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Me too. I even tested it when I got an e-mail about it. I just signed right back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonedwarf View Post
Apparently the condensed games will be returning this year to MLBTV from what I've read, but they'll be the following day, not the same day.

So glad they've dumped that Silverlight atrocity. The new Flash player has it's issues, but it's still in beta and I've been amazed at the quality so far. Very impressive. I've signed up for the top package. I want the DVR so I can pause live games. (Often get distracted with kids and the like.) Plus I like the ability to watch multiple games, highlight players and watch their AB's etc... (Would have been even cooler had I gotten into a fantasy league this year.)
Agreed!

I was a huge fan of the condensed games from a few years ago.

And the Flash player worked brilliantly during the WBC. I'm excited to be able to use it this season.