Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:26 AM   #1
jdolecek49
Major Leagues

cash/owner

this is where i seem to struggle. I did really good the first year but now budgets are more important, so tried to release a player but then I got a pop up that said this would increase my would increase my player expenses. I thought getting rid of a player would free up some money so since that did not work what are some suggestions?

My owner is a jerk, i kept trying to get him to increase my scouting budget and this worked for a few numbers. I would get him to raise it 10 million but I kept asking for more so it pissed him off and he went from 17mill down to 40 mill...guess he thought I was being greedy....
jdolecek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:00 AM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Can't release players their contracts are guaranteed. You still have to pay the contract out.

If you need to get rid of salary you have to trade him in hopes of dumping his salary on to another team.

If it's an awful contract for an average player you might have to give up prospects and basically get nothing in return.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
ThePride87
Minors (Single A)

Exactly right. My first goal with the Tigers is to rid myself from Miggy's contract...Philly for some reason is the most interested in him, but it's at the cost of my top overall pick plus a lot of prospects (or extra picks)...$154M of essentially dead money comes at a price. I end up doing it because his contract is only going to prolong the rebuild, might as well take the hit now and do a full restart. He's like 25% of your budget if you don't move him, plus Zimmerman another $25M in dead money for 1 year (Mr. I what were you thinking???)
ThePride87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #4
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdolecek49 View Post
this is where i seem to struggle. I did really good the first year but now budgets are more important, so tried to release a player but then I got a pop up that said this would increase my would increase my player expenses. I thought getting rid of a player would free up some money so since that did not work what are some suggestions?
Sometimes all you can do is wait for the contract to expire. I have gotten burned on some longer contracts and had to eat a roster spot until it was up. The extra man on the roster helps a little with this. You can get by with 25 real players and a guy who is just eating money.

I honestly really thought smaller budget teams were harder to manage. I am not sure now. Good scouts and trading guys before payday is pretty easy to stay competitive for any club. Big market teams have bigger risks of signing that free agent who goes to crap 2 years into a 5 year contract and you are stuck with a roster spot taken and a big chunk of your payroll in this guy because no one wants him or they will just trade another over the hill vet making just as much. You have less rope to hang yourself with in a small market club. You can't even think about taking that risk if you are a small market GM.

I hadn't played for a long while when I picked up 20 and got burned bad with an above average market team trying to get vets to meet the owner's goal. Not surprisingly it was the Astros and I was Drayton McLane jr. believing that next aging vet was the last piece I needed. Had some really rough years until I just waited out the contracts and let them go. I had some nice prospects built up and some money for a young free agent.

Last edited by Biggio509; 03-30-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Also don't worry about scouting budget too much. It doesn't have a big effect. They is no need to go into 10 millions the return isn't worth it especially considering you can pay a good player that. I keep mine around baseline or a little above. Getting a top scouting director is much more important than scouting budget.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggio509 View Post
Sometimes all you can do is wait for the contract to expire. I have gotten burned on some longer contracts and had to eat a roster spot until it was up. The extra man on the roster helps a little with this. You can get by with 25 real players and a guy who is just eating money.

I honestly really thought smaller budget teams were harder to manage. I am not sure now. Good scouts and trading guys before payday is pretty easy to stay competitive for any club. Big market teams have bigger risks of signing that free agent who goes to crap 2 years into a 5 year contract and you are stuck with a roster spot taken and a big chunk of your payroll in this guy because no one wants him or they will just trade another over the hill vet making just as much. You have less rope to hang yourself with in a small market club. You can't even think about taking that risk if you are a small market GM.
Run a big market team like a small market team

And cut the guy taking up the roster spot.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #7
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Run a big market team like a small market team

And cut the guy taking up the roster spot.
I always feel there is something wrong about just paying out the rest of the contract and paying over the remaining contract doesn't help. I just don't think it is realistic to think an owner would let me pay someone 2 years or more at $20+ million so I can cut him. Yeah you bite the bullet this season and the game will make it ok since cash can't go below 0 but it just doesn't seem realistic. We have seen this in real life more than once some aging vet is starting and taking up a spot just because even the Yankees don't want to pay out the rest of the contract all at once.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:49 PM   #8
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
I always feel there is something wrong about just paying out the rest of the contract and paying over the remaining contract doesn't help. I just don't think it is realistic to think an owner would let me pay someone 2 years or more at $20+ million so I can cut him. Yeah you bite the bullet this season and the game will make it ok since cash can't go below 0 but it just doesn't seem realistic. We have seen this in real life more than once some aging vet is starting and taking up a spot just because even the Yankees don't want to pay out the rest of the contract all at once.
https://www.mlb.com/news/dodgers-rel...ord-c183877332
Quote:
PHOENIX -- The Dodgers released outfielder Carl Crawford after he cleared waivers on Monday. Crawford was designated for assignment on June 5 to make room on the roster for utilityman Austin Barnes.
The Dodgers are responsible for the remaining $34 million on Crawford's contract
Old 03-30-2020, 11:54 PM   #9
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

I would never cut someone who is worth contract. I did Tigers last year in OOTP XX I was even able to move Zimmerman by eating 25 million and I got a couple low level prospects. His money was gone no matter what I rather pay for him and get something in return.

Finance trick I also use is trading at the deadline when 1 year players are put in the block from the AI. The playoff teams are in the hunt. Most likely you aren't. But if the asking price is right and you have budget room then you trade for that player and immediately trade him eating 100% of that contract.

Then watch as the amount of terrific trade offers for high prospects you get. Some of those "win it now" teams don't have budget room so can't make the trade. What you are doing is basically being the 3rd team in like in the NBA. You eat the contract and get the prospects. The playoff team gets the star player and the original team gets a prospect or 2 and clears budget.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:34 AM   #10
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
I would never cut someone who is worth contract. I did Tigers last year in OOTP XX I was even able to move Zimmerman by eating 25 million and I got a couple low level prospects. His money was gone no matter what I rather pay for him and get something in return.

Finance trick I also use is trading at the deadline when 1 year players are put in the block from the AI. The playoff teams are in the hunt. Most likely you aren't. But if the asking price is right and you have budget room then you trade for that player and immediately trade him eating 100% of that contract.

Then watch as the amount of terrific trade offers for high prospects you get. Some of those "win it now" teams don't have budget room so can't make the trade. What you are doing is basically being the 3rd team in like in the NBA. You eat the contract and get the prospects. The playoff team gets the star player and the original team gets a prospect or 2 and clears budget.
Yeah, this trick has gotten me a lot of talent over the years
Old 03-31-2020, 01:18 PM   #11
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Like I said 2+ years and 20+ million plus. This one I would consider. Here had a year left after the current year. You the cost was about 20 million for that year and it is a big market team.

No let's say he his contract expired in 2018. What LA paid $55 million to get rid of him? That is less clear. Once you start looking at 2 years past the current or more it starts getting more iffy. If it is one more year after the current I think that is more plausible.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #12
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Like I said 2+ years and 20+ million plus. This one I would consider. Here had a year left after the current year. You the cost was about 20 million for that year and it is a big market team.

No let's say he his contract expired in 2018. What LA paid $55 million to get rid of him? That is less clear. Once you start looking at 2 years past the current or more it starts getting more iffy. If it is one more year after the current I think that is more plausible.
I mean

Sure, there are a lot of people that would think it is somehow better to keep a bad player on your team for 5 years then it is for 2 years. I just disagree with those people.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #13
jdolecek49
Major Leagues

Quote:
I mean

Sure, there are a lot of people that would think it is somehow better to keep a bad player on your team for 5 years then it is for 2 years. I just disagree with those people.

I have googled, i have read the manual over and over but i still dont get all this stuff....all the replies in thiw thread i just dont understand, like the dude that used a financing trick its so confusing i dont comprehend this....could you simplify this for me? please
jdolecek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #14
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone ever played with trading off?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #15
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have googled, i have read the manual over and over but i still dont get all this stuff....all the replies in thiw thread i just dont understand, like the dude that used a financing trick its so confusing i dont comprehend this....could you simplify this for me? please
Sure thing. Releasing a player doesn't release you from what you owe.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #16
thklein
Major Leagues

Quote:
So the "trick" is to find an overpaid player at the trade deadline. Someone who is still a useful player but is making too much money. Because of the salary, you can acquire the player for low level prospects. You then immediately trade that same overpaid player, but you agree to retain 100% of his salary. Basically the team you trade him to get him while you pay his salary. Because he is a free (to the new team) player, you can get a much better prospect haul for him than what you gave up to get him in the first place.

Are there other posts you didn't understand?

To answer your original question, the fastest way to free up money is to trade your high salaried players. The tricky part is, if the player is overpayed, they will negative value to the team you are trading him to. The other team doesn't want the player for the same reason you don't want him, he makes too much money. You can do one of two things. You can include another player in the trade to induce the other team to take the player, essentially selling the prospect. Or you can agree to retain a portion of the player's salary. For example, if he's making $20 million a year, you can retain 50% of his salary, So you still pay him $10 million and the other team pays him $10 million.

One thing to keep an eye on is if you have prospects that are ready to be called up. Sometimes this will allow you to trade a good player making a lot of money. For example, if you have a great center fielder making $20 million a year and you have a center field prospect in AAA who is ready to be called up, you can trade that $20 million player. The prospect won't be as good, but you're freeing up that money and maybe getting a nice prospect or two in exchange.

Another tip: I try to avoid committing big money to players beyond their age 34 season. I try to time my contract offers so they expire in the player's age 34 season. Anything beyond that I try to make a team option. I'd rather pay a $4 million buy out than be stuck with a washed up $20 million player. I also try not to trade for players with contract beyond their age 34 season if I can avoid it.

Last edited by thklein; 04-06-2020 at 07:10 PM.
thklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #17
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Watch a bunch of YouTube videos. Best way to pick stuff up.

What team are you playing? Don't go small market when you are learning it's hard. Try a big sized team. You might need 5 to 10 seasons under your belt before you learn and pickup on elements and game mechanics.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #18
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I mean

I can see that. To me the consequences are skewed. Because cash is limited you really get off hook by releasing a guy. Doing so has little to no effect on next year or the year after like it should because your budget resets and you are limited on carry over gains and losses through cash limits. It should have some carry over effects but this is little limited to 10 million carry over either way by default. So you will never have more than 20 million effect (-10 million instead of 10 million) You cut a guy with 3 more years at 20 million and you really are only paying 20 million of that at most since the other $40 million is limited by how much cash you can carry over. You just don't see a real world effect on profits because of that. Last year's profit only matters between -10 and 10 million. That is all you can carry over. That makes it gamey because you don't really have to pay for the cut since the carry over effect is limited to between -10 and 10 million. It makes 0 difference to the current year and not much to the next year. So it is gaming the system to me. The system severely limits stock for balance and focuses on flows that makes the real world effect of this decision negligible.

To get rid of cash limits means reworking the whole financial AI to make sure teams don't bankrupt themselves or become mega super powers over time. So I think a solution would be to have the owner evaluate the cut. If it is a rich club maybe he takes the 40-80 million hit now. A poorer club may not. So allowing the owner to say hell no you aren't paying that scrub to go home and watch the game would be a better option.

Last edited by Biggio509; 04-07-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #19
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Watch a bunch of YouTube videos. Best way to pick stuff up.

What team are you playing? Don't go small market when you are learning it's hard. Try a big sized team. You might need 5 to 10 seasons under your belt before you learn and pickup on elements and game mechanics.
This

It really does sound like your trying to sprint while still learning to crawl. Its baseball. Take your time you'll figure it out. We all did. The really cool thing is when you get it and watch MLB network and hear the news during the offseason and know exactly what theyre talking about when reporting off-season news lol

Last edited by andyhdz; 04-07-2020 at 12:42 PM.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #20
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can see that. To me the consequences are skewed. Because cash is limited you really get off hook by releasing a guy. Doing so has little to no effect on next year or the year after like it should because your budget resets and you are limited on carry over gains and losses through cash limits. It should have some carry over effects but this is little limited to 10 million carry over either way by default. So you will never have more than 20 million effect (-10 million instead of 10 million) You cut a guy with 3 more years at 20 million and you really are only paying 20 million of that at most since the other $40 million is limited by how much cash you can carry over. You just don't see a real world effect on profits because of that. Last year's profit only matters between -10 and 10 million. That is all you can carry over. That makes it gamey because you don't really have to pay for the cut since the carry over effect is limited to between -10 and 10 million. It makes 0 difference to the current year and not much to the next year. So it is gaming the system to me. The system severely limits stock for balance and focuses on flows that makes the real world effect of this decision negligible.

To get rid of cash limits means reworking the whole financial AI to make sure teams don't bankrupt themselves or become mega super powers over time. So I think a solution would be to have the owner evaluate the cut. If it is a rich club maybe he takes the 40-80 million hit now. A poorer club may not. So allowing the owner to say hell no you aren't paying that scrub to go home and watch the game would be a better option.
A good post, but I don't think it's really gamey. IRL, some owners are able to absorb those losses in ways that OOTP does not represent. There's also insurance money in some cases.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote