Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #1
catcherjul
Major Leagues

Top draft picks always pitchers

Its been like this since the last couple of editions but when the draft happens, it seems like every year, the top 15-20 picks are almost always pitchers.

Like this year, according to the Mock Draft, 17 of the first 18 picks will be pitchers (The only position player is projected to be pick 15th)

And for exemple, there is 13 players with potential 4* or more, 6 being position players (3-1B / 1 LF / 1 RF / 1 CF)

Am I the only one in this situation?
catcherjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:00 PM   #2
Poonox24
Minors (Triple A)

There always seems to be a ton of hitters available. I think the draft logic needs to be checked a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcherjul View Post
Its been like this since the last couple of editions but when the draft happens, it seems like every year, the top 15-20 picks are almost always pitchers.

Like this year, according to the Mock Draft, 17 of the first 18 picks will be pitchers (The only position player is projected to be pick 15th)

And for exemple, there is 13 players with potential 4* or more, 6 being position players (3-1B / 1 LF / 1 RF / 1 CF)

Am I the only one in this situation?
Poonox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:13 AM   #3
catcherjul
Major Leagues

Glad I am not the only one! Curious to see if the major part of the community seem to have the same draft tendencies
Old 03-18-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
smiller
Major Leagues

I'm in the 18th season of my fictional league and for the last 3 drafts, 9 of the 10 listed as top choices have been pitchers.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

What type of league are you using and how many game years into it are you?
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
catcherjul
Major Leagues

Its a fictional league and I'm playing the 83rd season now. I have 2 feeder leagues for the draft
Old 03-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Its a fictional league and I'm playing the 83rd season now. I have 2 feeder leagues for the draft

I have found the same thing to be true also, so I severely limited the amount of pitchers in my feeder leagues through roster restrictions. There may be a bunch of pitchers on the backup roster (can't think of the name right now) of each feeder team. It's also possible that some of the draft logic causes teams to prefer pitching for some reason.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #8
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Need to adjust your player creation modifiers then and make pitchers a bit worse, I suggest.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #9
Trot Nixon's Waifu
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've now run six sims with the standard start out to five years and the result is always that pitchers dominate the draft. The average of all years between all six sims is for 24 of the first 30 picks to be pitchers.
Trot Nixon's Waifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #10
Poonox24
Minors (Triple A)

Markus,

Is it possible for you to change/alter the draft logic for teams? I can send you things where the batters potential ratings far out weigh the hitters and they are still drafting pitcher after pitcher.

I have had to start drafting for CPU teams to make it realistic. Otherwise I am getting the cream of the crop position players for the most part (5-7 are only drafter per round) while the CPU team is drafting Relief Pitchers in the early rounds and disregarding 70 potential batters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Need to adjust your player creation modifiers then and make pitchers a bit worse, I suggest.
Poonox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:00 PM   #11
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yeah, if you have a file where teams are obviously drafting pitchers well ahead of better ranked batters, please so. It's possible that some balance was broken in the other draft changes.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #12
catcherjul
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Thanks for your answer Markus. I'll give this a try because there's seem to be too much good SP.

The only thing that I think won't change with that is the fact that even if the top available players are position players, the AI seems to take SP anyway and great position players fall at least until mid first round

Also, how do I adjust the player creation modifiers for pitchers? I only have the option to adjust the sabermetrics and there is no way to adjust the pitchers

Last edited by catcherjul; 03-18-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm playing pure fictional MLB from scratch, last draft (2021) there were 20 pitchers and 10 position players taken in the 1st round.

Highest position player was drafted at #2 and 4 out of the top 10 were position players.

The 2022 mock draft shows 16 out of 30 as position players, with the #1 and #2 position players as well.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #14
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm playing pure fictional MLB from scratch, last draft (2021) there were 20 pitchers and 10 position players taken in the 1st round.

Highest position player was drafted at #2 and 4 out of the top 10 were position players.

The 2022 mock draft shows 16 out of 30 as position players, with the #1 and #2 position players as well.

From what I've seen, this tends to only happen many years into a sim - 20+ years or so.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #15
catcherjul
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealofhome View Post
From what I've seen, this tends to only happen many years into a sim - 20+ years or so.
I can't remember when it started but its possible. The first 20 years of this league were probably with OOTP 17 or 18
Old 03-19-2020, 08:45 AM   #16
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

I’ve seen this already in 21, very heavy on the pitchers in draft,
Much more so than 20. Something is out of whack
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #17
catcherjul
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack View Post
I’ve seen this already in 21, very heavy on the pitchers in draft,
Much more so than 20. Something is out of whack
The talent or just the rank that they are picked?

Mine it seems quite balanced but AI heavily favor picking SP than position players. They will tend to pick a 3.5/4 * potential SP before a 4.5/5* batter
Old 04-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #18
ChrisJNelson
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I don't think it's something we need to adjust in settings. I've seen drafts in modern sims only a few years in where practically 100% of the top 30-40 players are pitchers. Literally not a hitter worth drafting in first few rounds. By default, it shouldn't be like that.
ChrisJNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #19
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Thankfully, the issue doesn't seem to affect historical leagues (non-fictional). I just checked the most recent draft. Out of twenty-six first-round picks only six were pitchers!
Old 04-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #20
wodi
All Star Reserve

Im starting to see it too. The years after the “real” classes are finished.
wodi is offline   Reply With Quote