Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - 3D Models

Old 12-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
dishnet34
All Star Starter

Field of Dreams (WIP)

Inspired by a thought I had over Christmas, I'm attempting to tackle making a 3D model of the Field of Dreams in Iowa. It's a work-in-progress, but I think it's turning out okay.

I added more bleachers than the original had so it looks more like a low-minor league stadium, and expanded RF a bit, based on satellite imagery not matching up Clem's model. For the walls, I'm thinking of putting a glass material on them so they're see-through and create the illusion of the corn being the outfield walls, and there will be grass throughout the outfield, with no warning track. The wall behind home plate is planning on being a big backstop fence, and I'm thinking of adding a model farm house and barn, as well as a "dirt road" behind the field.

Again, this is a work-in-progress, and any advice, feedback or help you guys could give me (particularly regarding the corn; this was the best low-poly model I could find on the warehouse) would be greatly appreciated! If you'd like to help me at all with the creation, I could share what I have, and potentially make it a collaborative effort.

Here's what I have going so far:
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the f*** they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Last edited by dishnet34; 12-25-2019 at 07:51 PM.
dishnet34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #2
Isedelyod
Hall Of Famer

Not sure the glass will work for your fences, I would suggest using a fencing material instead. My experience with most glass material is they come out black in game, and that is after painting both sides black. Any tips Silvam, Nielson or Eriq?

My older mods-
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=28c2b...3&action=Share

My newer mods (updated logos)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Fg?usp=sharing
Isedelyod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:31 PM   #3
nielsoncp
All Star Reserve

Isedelyod is correct - you are better off doing a corn stalk texture instead of a glass one because the glass won't show up in game. Find a .PNG of a corn stalk and paint it on a portion of the outfield walls, then repeat on the other walls.

For the backstops you can use a chain link texture, but it won't show up as well in game because it is a finer texture. For the bleachers use one of the metal truss textures in silvam's package - it will look relatively life like.

Good work so far Dishnet!
nielsoncp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:47 AM   #4
dishnet34
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsoncp View Post
Isedelyod is correct - you are better off doing a corn stalk texture instead of a glass one because the glass won't show up in game. Find a .PNG of a corn stalk and paint it on a portion of the outfield walls, then repeat on the other walls.
That's fair. Luckily, the cornfield textures I use are basically PNG images on a block, so I should be able to scale and place wherever my heart desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsoncp View Post
For the backstops you can use a chain link texture, but it won't show up as well in game because it is a finer texture. For the bleachers use one of the metal truss textures in silvam's package - it will look relatively life like.

Good work so far Dishnet!
The metal truss textures...I'm not 100% sure what those look like again, tbh. I think I have a chain link texture I can use for the backstop.

Made a few changes based on what you guys suggested with the corn. I simplified it a bit and jutted it up right to my "walls." How does that part look right now? There's still a few gaps to fill in, but overall, I don't think it's bad:
Attached Images
Image Image 

"Find a way to be alone in a baseball stadium at sunrise, when the only sound you hear are about nine birds that got lost, and found themselves in a stadium, and they’re chirping across the grandstand trying to figure out where the f*** they ended up." -Dan Besbris

Old 12-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

This is the seamless corn texture I used for the batters' eye at Principal Financial Field in the USBL:
Attached Images
Old 12-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
dishnet34
All Star Starter

WIP update:

-I managed to mitigate some of the empty patches of corn around the LCF wall by placing in another cornfield model, using the seamless corn texture eriq provided (Thank you very much for sharing!). I painted the walls with the same texture, as well as the forward-facing edges of the outfield corn. The tops, however, will remain the same texture, as those, IMO, replicate the top of the corn.

-I modeled both of the bleachers a bit; I used the Camden Yards Upper Brace file as the backside for my bleachers, and the in-SketchUp metal texture as the sides and front.

-I added some dirt rows perpendicular to 1B and 3B, per the satellite imagery, as well as some dirt rows going from home to the stands. The latter were very tough to do, as the lines kept wanting to touch the infield model (which is 1" off the face, because it's blurry otherwise if it's right on the face), but I managed to triangle the heck out of it to make it work.

-After some trial and error, I managed to get the foul lines modeled in. I don't believe there are foul poles at Field of Dreams, so I will be omitting those from my model.

I still need to put in the lights around the outfield (right field will be put in play, per satellite imagery, while left field will be butting right up against the wall), and some final touches on the outfield corn. Then I'll put it in-game and test it out!

(This is the part where I say that I ALWAYS, for some reason that I have never figured out, am unable to auto-adjust the infield grid to the model when it's in OOTP. If anyone would like to help me get that adjusted once I'm ready, feel free to let me know, and I'll share my Sketchup model/OBJ with you.)

Here are some progress pics. I'll put those finishing touches on tomorrow.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by dishnet34; 12-26-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:00 AM   #7
dishnet34
All Star Starter

WIP Update 12/27

-Spent the part of my day working on this worrying about the light fixtures and where they would go. Because satellite imagery I found (inconsistent with the Clem drawing) had the light fixture in LF slightly in the field of play, and the light fixture in RF farther in the field of play, that's where I decided to put them. After further inspection, they're a little bit more farther apart than I intended them to be, but I think the locations will suffice for the time being.

-As for the infield lights, I managed to get those put in. However, after closer inspection, the IF lights may block the way of anyone trying to watch the game in the 3D mode. So, I have two separate models saved on my computer: One with the infield lights and one without them. I'll post pictures of both to show what I mean. Which one looks better to you guys? The IF lights reflect the accuracy of the actual place, but gameplay-wise, it doesn't look that great to me.

-Got rid of some unnecessary lines that wouldn't hurt the big parts of the model, and it's almost primed for a release. I'll be testing them in my game before release and may make a few tweaks after, depending on how the field shows up in game (and if I'm finally able to figure out the auto-adjust feature, grumble grumble)

-Put in the last field of corn to fill in the back edge of my "cornfield" beyond the "walls."

Here are the progress pics (light fixtures made by 3D Warehouse user Marlowe D.):

1) Game view with IF lights
2) Game view w/o IF lights
3) Big overview
4) View down 1B line
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Old 08-11-2021, 10:35 PM   #8
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishnet34 View Post
WIP Update 12/27

-Spent the part of my day working on this worrying about the light fixtures and where they would go. Because satellite imagery I found (inconsistent with the Clem drawing) had the light fixture in LF slightly in the field of play, and the light fixture in RF farther in the field of play, that's where I decided to put them. After further inspection, they're a little bit more farther apart than I intended them to be, but I think the locations will suffice for the time being.

-As for the infield lights, I managed to get those put in. However, after closer inspection, the IF lights may block the way of anyone trying to watch the game in the 3D mode. So, I have two separate models saved on my computer: One with the infield lights and one without them. I'll post pictures of both to show what I mean. Which one looks better to you guys? The IF lights reflect the accuracy of the actual place, but gameplay-wise, it doesn't look that great to me.

-Got rid of some unnecessary lines that wouldn't hurt the big parts of the model, and it's almost primed for a release. I'll be testing them in my game before release and may make a few tweaks after, depending on how the field shows up in game (and if I'm finally able to figure out the auto-adjust feature, grumble grumble)

-Put in the last field of corn to fill in the back edge of my "cornfield" beyond the "walls."

Here are the progress pics (light fixtures made by 3D Warehouse user Marlowe D.):

1) Game view with IF lights
2) Game view w/o IF lights
3) Big overview
4) View down 1B line
Did you finish this?
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:30 AM   #9
dishnet34
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Did you finish this?
Here's the thing with that: I did finish this, but in play testing after sending it to someone else to test, it turned out kind of wonky, especially with right field being so short that the right fielder was playing inside the wall (or the corn so to speak), so I haven't really got it *done-done*. That, and I'm notoriously unable to set a grid in the game to save my life, so that's also an issue I'd need to get ironed out before I release it for real.
However, if I get some time to re-assess, I'll see if I can't try to get those re-smoothed out for a release. We'll see.

Last edited by dishnet34; 08-12-2021 at 12:31 AM.