Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
texasmame
All Star Starter

Cost Efficient Players List

I love seeing them for each team - can we get this in a list form where you can see all of them from each league?

If it already exists, please point me to it!

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:42 PM   #2
SirGreatWhite
Minors (Single A)

What would you say qualifies as "cost efficient?" That might vary from team to team based on budgets, etc.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreatWhite View Post
What would you say qualifies as "cost efficient?" That might vary from team to team based on budgets, etc.
In ootp, cost efficiency is $/WAR
Old 06-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
texasmame
All Star Starter

Wow - no love for the idea of seeing who is giving teams the most bang for their buck, listed all in one place?

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
Wow - no love for the idea of seeing who is giving teams the most bang for their buck, listed all in one place?
Doesn't sound like a bad idea.
I honestly must admit I wasn't even aware of this being a thing in OOTP so I'm glad to learn that.

With all of the pet improvements that OOTP'ers wish for, this might be higher on your list of priorities than it is for other people. But that doesn't mean that others wouldn't appreciate it.

Of course, the developers always have their plates full with all of the improvements they and their customers wish for. But perhaps this one wouldn't take much work to incorporate and will find its way in there before too long.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I don't think people are going to really agree on who is "cost efficient". Especially with random talent changes in the game, your experience will probably be different from everyone else's. Not to mention every team has different ballpark factors so what works for one team doesn't necessarily work for another.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
texasmame
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
I don't think people are going to really agree on who is "cost efficient". Especially with random talent changes in the game, your experience will probably be different from everyone else's. Not to mention every team has different ballpark factors so what works for one team doesn't necessarily work for another.
It's already in the game, as mentioned earlier in this thread; just use that metric.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:13 PM   #8
chazzycat
All Star Starter

What I'm trying to say is that metric wouldn't be consistent across different playthroughs.

Dollars spent depends on the contract you sign. Playing as GM, this is entirely up to you. I could sign a good player to an awesome team friendly contract due to superior early scouting, or, wait too long and have to pay a lot more. Similarly the same player in free agency is bound to have a lower $$/WAR number, because that's how free agency works.

Are you talking about players with existing contracts?

Or are you maybe talking about perfect team?
Old 06-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that metric wouldn't be consistent across different playthroughs.

Dollars spent depends on the contract you sign. Playing as GM, this is entirely up to you. I could sign a good player to an awesome team friendly contract due to superior early scouting, or, wait too long and have to pay a lot more. Similarly the same player in free agency is bound to have a lower $$/WAR number, because that's how free agency works.

Are you talking about players with existing contracts?

Or are you maybe talking about perfect team?
He's talking about a list that shows that metric for the entire league. Not comparing across different saves or anything like that. OOTP currently gives us this list by team. He's asking for a list for the entire league, not by team.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Ah, I see. Sorry for the confusion. So basically a list of the pre-arb players in descending WAR order.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:37 PM   #11
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ah, I see. Sorry for the confusion. So basically a list of the pre-arb players in descending WAR order.
Well, sort of.

That feels like something of an over-simplification.
There would also be differences between the higher paid players that could be interesting to be able to see at a glance.
What recently signed free agents are actually producing the best value per dollar for their new teams, for instance? Sure, there are other ways to get at this information and this is just one way to measure such things (which some people like more than other people do), but as a snap-shot way of viewing this it could certainly have value.
It could be interesting to see how teams in the league rate in terms of efficiency by this metric. Whether this is because they have a young roster filled with pre-arbitration or at least pre-free agency players or whether it is because they are getting good production from reasonably priced veterans is something you would have to take a bit of a closer look to determine. But it's a nice jumping off point.

Look, this isn't something I've ever even used and I'm certainly not the OP nor am I particularly advocating for this. But now that I know it exists I do find it interesting. And I think you may be under-playing its potential value, as at least a fun way of looking at your OOTP universe/league. I don't see it as having any particular strategic value, but it could add immersive value and enjoyment. Which, for my money, is what this is all about. (The way I measure cost efficient in OOTP terms is $/Fun. And OOTP already rates very highly in that metric for me. But I never turn down more opportunities for expanded OOTP fun.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:37 AM   #12
Clavette
Major Leagues

I'm always a fan of Christian Vazquez starting with any team in 2019. You can almost always get the Sox to eat his contract for a minimal return and he is a + defender and usually hits decent for a couple seasons
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:20 AM   #13
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavette View Post
I'm always a fan of Christian Vazquez starting with any team in 2019. You can almost always get the Sox to eat his contract for a minimal return and he is a + defender and usually hits decent for a couple seasons

Or if you use the Red Sox (like me), keep Vazquez and Leon until the defensive wheels fall off. Who cares if they can’t hit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #14
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, a list of all players in the entire league in order of cost efficiency, as calculated in the game ($/WAR). Chances are the highest ranking players will be pre-arb guys, but that's not guaranteed.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #15
Clavette
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
Or if you use the Red Sox (like me), keep Vazquez and Leon until the defensive wheels fall off. Who cares if they can’t hit?

I tend to let leon go after the first season of Sox saves. His arbitrary number is way too high. It's easy enough to find another defensive backup
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #16
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
I love seeing them for each team - can we get this in a list form where you can see all of them from each league?

If it already exists, please point me to it!

Where can I find this for each team?

Birdland24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #17
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
He's talking about a list that shows that metric for the entire league. Not comparing across different saves or anything like that. OOTP currently gives us this list by team. He's asking for a list for the entire league, not by team.

Where can I find this feature by each team?

Old 06-29-2019, 01:03 PM   #18
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Anybody can tell me how to get to this page? I’ve checked this morning and can’t find it.

Old 06-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #19
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

To everyone looking for the page, I don't have the game in front of me so I don't exactly remember but it should be in one of the subsections of the individual team's financials tab.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #20
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Front office.

May not be an initial visible tile. change one, if not. i think it's there?

could be wrong. at the least, i think it shows overall team wins or war / $?
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote