Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #41
dangarion
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Wolf is 100% right on this, it's absolutely true.

While I did post in the beta thread about this, and do think this is worth checking into, the fact is there hasn't actually been any proof presented in this thread. The post with the link to the player in it doesn't really provide any proof since it only shows what he signed for, not what all his offers were. We do have a lot of online players on the beta team and no one's even brought this up as a potential issue. Which may or may not mean something. It may be an indication that the problem is in fact with the settings of the specific leagues you guys play in. I don't know, I simply mention that for what it's worth.

Even if this is something that is in fact an issue, I suspect there will need to be some more concrete evidence provided before any changes are made. Unless you guys can find a way to provide more conclusive info, nothing's likely to happen with this. Markus usually needs to see some hard data before he makes major changes, which is as it should be.
We are more than happy to provide a league file.
dangarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #42
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
We are more than happy to provide a league file.
I'm sure that'd be quite helpful.

I'd suggest creating a post in the bug reports thread and uploading a league file to the ftp site.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #43
EKomrska15
All Star Starter

I have not seen an egregious amount of players not signing at all. In both my league we sim from rule 5 to preseason and free agency is closed until preseason and I have had no reports of a player not signing at all if they are offered what is deemed a reasonable contract. More often than not a 1 year contract will suffice in this scenario.
EKomrska15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #44
RchW
Hall Of Famer

This from real life is exactly why OOTP FA that don't sign early should get ripped by the declining market.

Nelson Cruz, Kendrys Morales And The Market: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Quote:
Nelson Cruz, Kendrys Morales And The Market
By Charlie Wilmoth [January 5, 2014 at 10:35pm CST]

New TV deals have made baseball richer than ever, and teams are passing on some of those riches to free agents. $240MM for Robinson Cano. $153MM for Jacoby Ellsbury. Possibly over $100MM for Masahiro Tanaka. Heck, $35MM for Tim Lincecum. $32MM for Jason Vargas. But it appears not everyone has been invited to the party. Nelson Cruz and Kendrys Morales seem to be on the outside looking in.

As a free agent, Cruz has four problems. First, he's no help defensively -- he's below-average even when compared to other right fielders, posting negative UZR numbers in all of the past three seasons. Second, he's 33 and projects to age badly, as an offensively-minded player who doesn't actually hit all that well. Third, his ties to the Biogenesis scandal might raise questions about his immediate future. And fourth, the team that signs him will have to forfeit a draft pick.

There have been indications that Cruz wants a four-year, $75MM contract. That doesn't appear to be in the cards now -- it's difficult to land huge deals this late in the offseason, and one report from December suggested that Cruz was willing to accept a three-year deal from the Rangers.

But one win above replacement is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $6MM or $7MM on the open market, so for Cruz to justify even the three-year, $39MM deal MLBTR projected he would get, he would have to produce about six wins over the life of the deal, even before considering the draft pick.

Even 6 WAR seems like an optimistic projection over the next three years. Cruz has produced WAR figures of 1.3, 1.1 and 1.5 the past three seasons. Even a three-year deal for Cruz looks unlikely at this point, and he may only get one if a team gets desperate, or determines that the escalating price of free agents and Cruz's counting stats make him worth that kind of money.

Morales is even more defensively limited than Cruz, having played 28 games in the field in 2012 and 31 in 2013 in the aftermath of significant injury troubles that caused him to miss the entire 2011 season. This far removed from any serious injury, he might be able to handle more time in the field than that, but that's mostly a matter of speculation at this point.

On top of that, there's the matter of the qualifying offer. By declining it, Morales rejected a one-year, $14.1MM deal, despite the fact that he was arguably worth less than that last season, producing 1.2 WAR. Even leaving aside the draft pick, it would be ambitious for Morales to use an amount more than $14.1MM per season as a starting point for negotiations on a multi-year contract, or even on a one-year contract. Accepting the qualifying offer might have been a better path for him.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports recently wrote about the qualifying offer system "squeezing" certain free agents, and it is, as in the case of Kyle Lohse last year and Stephen Drew this year. But it's worth mentioning that, in the past two offseasons, no one has actually accepted a qualifying offer yet. Perhaps certain types of players, like Morales, should consider accepting qualifying offers if they receive them. A bigger problem than getting "squeezed" may turn out to be that the expectations of some free agents are out of step with the market. Morales is arguably not worth $14.1MM per season to begin with.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote