Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #21
mmorgan184
Minors (Double A)

ryanivr posted a great wealth of information on what to look for in specific positions. But I think once you start getting a feel for the game, and drafting, and free agency, and putting guys on your roster one of the most important things I feel is designing a baseball team to fit your ballpark. Are you going to guy with a pitching stuff of high strikeout guys and hitters with great power because you play in a stadium that is homer friendly? Or maybe you play in big park that favors pitchers so you concentrate on rangey outfielders and great defense with ground ball pitchers?

Baseball is a great game in that it can be as complex and as simple as you want it to be.
mmorgan184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #22
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgan184 View Post
ryanivr posted a great wealth of information on what to look for in specific positions. But I think once you start getting a feel for the game, and drafting, and free agency, and putting guys on your roster one of the most important things I feel is designing a baseball team to fit your ballpark. Are you going to guy with a pitching stuff of high strikeout guys and hitters with great power because you play in a stadium that is homer friendly? Or maybe you play in big park that favors pitchers so you concentrate on rangey outfielders and great defense with ground ball pitchers?

Baseball is a great game in that it can be as complex and as simple as you want it to be.
Great points...I am a huge fan of building my team to suit my park.
My Chicago Fire play in a version of Baker Bowl, that while has a 60 foot RF wall it's still only 290 feet down the line. I have 5 left handed hitters in my lineup 2 of which are dead pull hitters.
And while since putting my team in this park my pitchers do give up more longballs i have 3 sinker ball pitchers on my staff (myself being 1) that tend to keep the ball on the ground.
Compared to my Endor City Capitals that play in a version of Old Comiskey my team is based more around speed and defense then around power. and I have flyball and groundball pitchers.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #23
Bottom Of The Sixth
All Star Starter

Welcome to the world of OOTP, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot!

Are you aware of what you are getting yourself into? I hope for your sake you are single. If you are currently married, you won't be for long!

Meet the new love of your life: OOTP12

OOTP is the best baseball game out there and it can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it.

Since you are just starting out, the less "extras" you have "on", the easier it is going to be for you. So while starting out, try to have fun, learn, and keep it simple.

If you are not aware of it, baseball has a language all its own. It uses words and phrases that you won't see anywhere else. Below I have added two links to websites that describe these terms and phrases. You may find that the description from one site, makes more sense to you than the description from another. If you would like more, all you have to do is a Google search.

Baseball Terms

Baseball Terms, Slang and Lingo | Learn at Baseball Tips.com

Good Luck!

Last edited by Bottom Of The Sixth; 08-04-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Bottom Of The Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #24
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom Of The Sixth View Post
Welcome to the world of OOTP, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot!

Are you aware of what you are getting yourself into? I hope for your sake you are single. If you are currently married, you won't be for long!

Meet the new love of your life: OOTP12

OOTP is the best baseball game out there and it can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it.

Since you are just starting out, the less "extras" you have "on", the easier it is going to be for you. So while starting out, try to have fun, learn, and keep it simple.

If you are not aware of it, baseball has a language all its own. It uses words and phrases that you won't see anywhere else. Below I have added two links to websites that describe these terms and phrases. You may find that the description from one site, makes more sense to you than the description from another. If you would like more, all you have to do is a Google search.

Baseball Terms

Baseball Terms, Slang and Lingo | Learn at Baseball Tips.com

Good Luck!
Thanks for the welcome & links!
I'm married 10 years so far and have somehow managed to succesfully straddle the fine line between marital harmony and game time. Although my wife did suggest on our recent anniversary dinner that I should've brought my computer to dinner as well.

Still slowly learning the game, watching a bit of baseball. It's going to take some time, but I am enjoying the game, even though at present I'm really mainly undertaking general manager duties and the occasional roster or match day decisions.

The one area of the game I am still really struggling with is how to identify talented guys, and how soon should I promote them through the various minor leagues.

The identification of talent is difficult and I seem to draft a significantly high proportion of busts, they have 5 star potential on draft day but mostly (and I'm talking about 70% of these guys) turn out to be complete total spuds' with 1 star ratings after a season or two. Often I will find my scouting director recommending some guy rated 1 star current & 1 star potential, when there is at the same position another guy my scout has already advised has a 4 or 5 star potential. I find this somewhat confusing.

The main way I end up securing good young talent coming through is not through my Major League Scout signing players, but via my Minor League teams independently signing young players.

I also then struggle with watching the guys on my team who appear to have huge potential languish in the bottom of the minor's for 3 years, putting up solid numbers in the short season league, but rarely getting a gig higher up.
Is the Computer AI very conservative about promoting players? Or is there a real danger of promoting a player before he is ready and thus stunting or actually harming his potential?

In the meantime whilst I have 4 potential 5 star young pitchers between 18-21 yrs of age kicking their heels in the lower depths of the minor's my scouting director has no problem trading a couple of good young kids for some 35 yr old 1 star rated, burned out veteran pitcher, who ends up haemorrhaging home runs.
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #25
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post

The one area of the game I am still really struggling with is how to identify talented guys, and how soon should I promote them through the various minor leagues.

The identification of talent is difficult and I seem to draft a significantly high proportion of busts, they have 5 star potential on draft day but mostly (and I'm talking about 70% of these guys) turn out to be complete total spuds' with 1 star ratings after a season or two. Often I will find my scouting director recommending some guy rated 1 star current & 1 star potential, when there is at the same position another guy my scout has already advised has a 4 or 5 star potential. I find this somewhat confusing.

The main way I end up securing good young talent coming through is not through my Major League Scout signing players, but via my Minor League teams independently signing young players.

I also then struggle with watching the guys on my team who appear to have huge potential languish in the bottom of the minor's for 3 years, putting up solid numbers in the short season league, but rarely getting a gig higher up.
Is the Computer AI very conservative about promoting players? Or is there a real danger of promoting a player before he is ready and thus stunting or actually harming his potential?

In the meantime whilst I have 4 potential 5 star young pitchers between 18-21 yrs of age kicking their heels in the lower depths of the minor's my scouting director has no problem trading a couple of good young kids for some 35 yr old 1 star rated, burned out veteran pitcher, who ends up haemorrhaging home runs.
thats baseball for yr...not every 1st rd piuck is gonna even play above rookie league let alone make it to the major leagues and if they do even fewer ill be more then a bench player.
If your drafting players based on ratings/stars and the recommendation of your scout then so far you are not doing anything wrong from my POV.

In my experience the AI does a better then decent job of promoting players. Until my current season in my ABF league I let AI handle my 4 levels of minor leaguers.They would promote the best players to AAA after 2 yrs or so. While My minors are weak overall its mostly because i have won 8 of 9 WS having the best record all 8 seasons, so i was always drafting last, but i still have 9 players that will be bench players or good MR's in the near future.
I wouldn't let AI do trades...I would take control of that worse case you dont make any moves until the Ai offers you a deal.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #26
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
thats baseball for yr...not every 1st rd piuck is gonna even play above rookie league let alone make it to the major leagues and if they do even fewer ill be more then a bench player.
If your drafting players based on ratings/stars and the recommendation of your scout then so far you are not doing anything wrong from my POV.

In my experience the AI does a better then decent job of promoting players. Until my current season in my ABF league I let AI handle my 4 levels of minor leaguers.They would promote the best players to AAA after 2 yrs or so. While My minors are weak overall its mostly because i have won 8 of 9 WS having the best record all 8 seasons, so i was always drafting last, but i still have 9 players that will be bench players or good MR's in the near future.
I wouldn't let AI do trades...I would take control of that worse case you dont make any moves until the Ai offers you a deal.
Thanks. I wasn't quite sure of the normal bust/success ratio of draftee's in baseball. So if you say that the vast majority are destined only to spend their entire careers chewing their way through thousands of pounds of sunflower seeds in the minor leagues, then my drafting strategy is working a treat.
Cheers for the advice about not allowing the AI to control trades. I found out the hard way in my first game, when he traded away a rookie Joe DiMaggio for an ageing relief pitcher and a two star rated SS. Ouch!
NOw i tend to mark a whole bunch of guys I want to keep as untouchable, that has so far stopped them from being moved on by my Manager. Does this 100% prevent the Manager from trading these guys I've designated as untouchable?
I might go further and remove this burden from his shoulders and do as you say.

I do however still find it confusing to know why my scout who has say scouted a SP as a potential 5 star guy, with a 1 star current rating, will nonetheless recommend I draft a 1 star rated/1star potential SP over him? If he has rated him the original guy a potential 5 star guy, why would he propose to pick another guy he rates as a 1 star spud?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #27
Qwerty75
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Evaluating amateur talent for the draft is tricky because even the best scouts can be far off on a lot of the amateurs. What I do is look at my scouting director's ratings, the OSA ratings, the COL/HS stats, and make a guesstimate, sometimes splitting the difference between my SD and OSA. Of course, it always helps to have a highly-rated SD, even though that's no guarantee of accuracy for the draft.

Quote:
I'd advise taking the AI off trades. Assess whether you're building for the future or going after a win in the short-term, and then identify talent around the league that you want to acquire. Aging vets who are due to decline and take up a lot of salary space might be candidates to sell for prospects if you're in that cycle of contention.

Qwerty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #28
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty75 View Post
Evaluating amateur talent for the draft is tricky because even the best scouts can be far off on a lot of the amateurs. What I do is look at my scouting director's ratings, the OSA ratings, the COL/HS stats, and make a guesstimate, sometimes splitting the difference between my SD and OSA. Of course, it always helps to have a highly-rated SD, even though that's no guarantee of accuracy for the draft.

I'd advise taking the AI off trades. Assess whether you're building for the future or going after a win in the short-term, and then identify talent around the league that you want to acquire. Aging vets who are due to decline and take up a lot of salary space might be candidates to sell for prospects if you're in that cycle of contention.
Okay. that's good to know, that's pretty much been my approach to the provided scouting reports, is assuming a mid point betwen my scout and OSA.
Now I'm playing a historical league, but with fictional players on top of the real guys. None of the players are showing High School or College stats though. Stupid Question alert.... Do I need to add in High School & College feeders to get draftee's to produce stats ?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #29
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. I wasn't quite sure of the normal bust/success ratio of draftee's in baseball. So if you say that the vast majority are destined only to spend their entire careers chewing their way through thousands of pounds of sunflower seeds in the minor leagues, then my drafting strategy is working a treat.

I do however still find it confusing to know why my scout who has say scouted a SP as a potential 5 star guy, with a 1 star current rating, will nonetheless recommend I draft a 1 star rated/1star potential SP over him? If he has rated him the original guy a potential 5 star guy, why would he propose to pick another guy he rates as a 1 star spud?
heres a link to the 1st rd of the 2005 draft, many consider to be the best drft in recent yrs.
2005 MLB Draft Results | MLB Draft Results | 2005 MLB Amateur Draft Results
20 of the 30 never played in majors ( i might be off +1/-1)
In most yrs for 1st rounders you typically only have 12.
Scouts in the draft scout on potential not overall current...how good is your scout?
I dont know for me personally and for many of us on the forum we have ate, slept, drank baseball our entire lives it's easier for us to override a dumb scout. Not that i get it right either. My best inaugural draft player was picked in the 96th rd my best amateur draft player who was successful was drafted in the 11th rd. Both were for my Chicago Fire of the ABF. The 1st guy has 1 batting title the 2nd has been a good def ok hit backup middle IF for the last 7 sns.
It takes time to know whats good when you look at a player, other then just stats....Maybe you should try playing with ratings off, that way you can';t judge them based on that.
When i look at a player in the draft yes i look at ratings, (if he isnt real) but then i look at range speed, power etc a typical ammy draft 25 rds takes me 3-7 hrs. especially for the 1st 10 rds or so. i try to scout my self 15-30 days prior to each draft and try to fill holes i have in the minor leagues. Some guys will draft based on what the player did in HS or college and not bother to look at ratings. (i am too tired to fix my typo's)
Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #30
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Okay. that's good to know, that's pretty much been my approach to the provided scouting reports, is assuming a mid point betwen my scout and OSA.
Now I'm playing a historical league, but with fictional players on top of the real guys. None of the players are showing High School or College stats though. Stupid Question alert.... Do I need to add in High School & College feeders to get draftee's to produce stats ?
if it's real players they wont have those stats.
I have a suggestion...for your next draft(10-20 days from the actual draft when the draft pool shows up)...make a quickstart of your league and post it on here via megaupload/uploading.com and several of us can make comments on who to draft. I am on 11 not 12 so if it's for 12 I won;t be able to help unless you post screenshots instead which might be easier.
(to do screenshots, download say irfanview from download.net go into game hit prtscn for any page, and then control V when you have irfanview loaded, save it as something) then post on here.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #31
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
if it's real players they wont have those stats.
I have a suggestion...for your next draft(10-20 days from the actual draft when the draft pool shows up)...make a quickstart of your league and post it on here via megaupload/uploading.com and several of us can make comments on who to draft. I am on 11 not 12 so if it's for 12 I won;t be able to help unless you post screenshots instead which might be easier.
(to do screenshots, download say irfanview from download.net go into game hit prtscn for any page, and then control V when you have irfanview loaded, save it as something) then post on here.
Okay. Good timing, I'm close to my next draft period. I've attached 2 files. The first being draft pool sorted by all batters and the next by pitchers.
Ratings & Potential are 1 to 20.

Now I've won the past two titles so I've got the last pick in the draft. Now the fact I've won the past two titles might be misleading, as I'm only 3 seasons into my start date. I commenced with an inaugural draft, so still have the majority of my original team that my computer AI largely selected ( I selected the first 6 rounds).
Now I know many of these guys are real players, however even the fictional one's do not show college or high school stats. Do I need to have college & high school feeder leagues added to my system for these to appear?

Anyway interested to hear your thoughts on the draft prospects.
The draft certainly seems to be very shallow?
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 08-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #32
Qwerty75
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Yes, that's how I approach the scouting reports for the amateur draft, but for major league players, especially those on my own team, you can generally trust your own SD's reports over OSA's if he has high ratings and you allot a significant amount of money to that area. I prefer accuracy in evaluating major leaguers over other parts of scouting, so I devote the highest share of the scouting budget to that area. On the other hand, you can't get accuracy in scouting reports across the board for amateurs no matter how much money you put into it (as of v11). Your SD will be more accurate for players in your own organization than outside and accuracy improves as the player becomes older, so definitely lean on your own SD to evaluate your own players over OSA if your SD is decent at all.

As for your last question, I've never played a historical league, so I don't know how the game treats historical amateurs that might show up for drafts. Fictional amateurs should have one year of COL or HS stats generated that gives you a guess as to their current ratings.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #33
Qwerty75
All Star Reserve

For the next crop of amateurs, try to get Willie Mays. You won't be sorry.

Edit: Mickey Mantle wouldn't be a bad Plan B.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #34
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Okay. Good timing, I'm close to my next draft period. I've attached 2 files. The first being draft pool sorted by all batters and the next by pitchers.
Ratings & Potential are 1 to 20.

Now I've won the past two titles so I've got the last pick in the draft. Now the fact I've won the past two titles might be misleading, as I'm only 3 seasons into my start date. I commenced with an inaugural draft, so still have the majority of my original team that my computer AI largely selected ( I selected the first 6 rounds).
Now I know many of these guys are real players, however even the fictional one's do not show college or high school stats. Do I need to have college & high school feeder leagues added to my system for these to appear?

Anyway interested to hear your thoughts on the draft prospects.
The draft certainly seems to be very shallow?
I would try to get players in this order (I am not expecting the 1st 2 guys to be available.
1. Mantle switch hitter great power can play atl;east CF & RF and possibly SS for a few seasons.
2. Mays the best all around player not on steroids ever
3. Pete Runnels
4. Turk Lown - member of the 59 Sox so I am partial to him
5. Alton Brown - host of Good Eats on Food Network so if he fails on the diamond he can cook for ya
6. Bob Turley
7. Frank Thomas Big Hurt's white grandpa
8. Dick Williams 1 of the best mgrs of all time
9. Bob Cerv - move him to #3
10. Dale Long decent player
11. Sad Sam Jones
i am surprised on how little I know or remember on the rest of teh players.
go to baseball reference.com and see who else had great careers or check their real life stats page.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #35
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I would try to get players in this order (I am not expecting the 1st 2 guys to be available.
1. Mantle switch hitter great power can play atl;east CF & RF and possibly SS for a few seasons.
2. Mays the best all around player not on steroids ever
3. Pete Runnels
4. Turk Lown - member of the 59 Sox so I am partial to him
5. Alton Brown - host of Good Eats on Food Network so if he fails on the diamond he can cook for ya
6. Bob Turley
7. Frank Thomas Big Hurt's white grandpa
8. Dick Williams 1 of the best mgrs of all time
9. Bob Cerv - move him to #3
10. Dale Long decent player
11. Sad Sam Jones
i am surprised on how little I know or remember on the rest of teh players.
go to baseball reference.com and see who else had great careers or check their real life stats page.
Thanks for this. I'm surprised that my Scout who is Legendary for Amateurs and has ahigh focus on Tools only rates Willie Mays a potential 3 star player?
Anyway, doubt he will be there by the time I'm selecting.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #36
Qwerty75
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Thanks for this. I'm surprised that my Scout who is Legendary for Amateurs and has ahigh focus on Tools only rates Willie Mays a potential 3 star player?
Anyway, doubt he will be there by the time I'm selecting.
This is where pulling off a trade could come in handy.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #37
Ginstwin
Bat Boy

I realise this is an old thread but as a noobie myself I wanted to thank the posters.

Some excellent information here and so helpful.
Ginstwin is offline   Reply With Quote