Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #1
orwell
Major Leagues

Trading

I guess I'm in the minority, since I've only seen a few other complaints about this issue, but I am shocked at the deterioration of the trading mechanism when all other aspects of the game have been improved. The new features are indeed amazing and wonderful and this is easily the best overall baseball sim in existence, but it's still very frustrating - to me - to see one of the better features of the last version discarded i.e. a way to gauge interest in a player without checking with each team.

In 2006, in fact, not only do you have to check against each team, but against each player on that team. The great thing about the player shop - or at least a function within the trade dialogue screen that lets you ask a team for a response to one of your players without also picking out one of theirs - was that you could get a mix of major- and minor-league players as a response. Now, in 2006, you'd have to drill down into their AAA leagues and below to see every possible offer(s) for one of your players, and that's just for one team.

Of course, I'll get flamed for not being "realistic" or for being "lazy." To that I'd say at least if the tool still existed you'd have the option to turn it off. Maybe everyone out there plays online against real opponents, but for solo play, this is a huge, huge step in the wrong direction - not that my two cents are worth anything, but I feel better typing this out, which is better than nothing.

This is a big enough disappointment to me to make me wonder if I should have bought the game at all.
orwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
markprior22
All Star Starter

I'm not happy with the trading model either. On top of the things listed above, I can't believe that, if I want to trade Joe Smith, I have to drag and drop him to the trade box everytime I select a new team to explore a trade with. At least leave my guy(s) in the trade box so I don't have to keep moving them back everytime I change teams.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22
I'm not happy with the trading model either. On top of the things listed above, I can't believe that, if I want to trade Joe Smith, I have to drag and drop him to the trade box everytime I select a new team to explore a trade with. At least leave my guy(s) in the trade box so I don't have to keep moving them back everytime I change teams.
Actually one of the very few things that bug me is everything goes back to default when you go back. Like if you're looking at batting stats for free agent 1st basemen, for example, and then you click back it automatically sets it back to batting information for all players. Stuff like that. I just kinda wish when you hit back it went back to the info you were looking at too. Different situation, but pretty much same problem.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:12 AM   #4
sean-patin
Minors (Triple A)

OOTP needs a Trading Block and "Shop Player" option.
sean-patin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:39 AM   #5
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean-patin
OOTP needs a Trading Block and "Shop Player" option.

Noit doesn't need a shop playr option...trading was way too easy in previous versions.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:48 AM   #6
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel
Noit doesn't need a shop playr option...trading was way too easy in previous versions.

shopping players and trading ease are two seperate issues.
bababui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:55 AM   #7
bp88
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Some people like easy. It should have been left there as an option if anything else for those people that did like the feature.
bp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:58 AM   #8
bababui
Hall Of Famer

You can make trading very easy, easy etc in OOTP2006
Old 06-02-2006, 06:06 AM   #9
never_ends
Minors (Double A)

well, the Trading feature is certainly different... took hours to find the right transactions link to click on...

I did finally pull off a trade (it is a hassle for sure) but the biggest turn off was when swapping two not very good players I managed to get 25M tossed my way as part of the deal... would have been more but the other team only had 25M! Trading needs to be looked at...
never_ends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:12 AM   #10
bp88
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababui
You can make trading very easy, easy etc in OOTP2006
Well I think easy is the wrong word. I mean the task of simplifying trades. Where you can see what the other team wants and get an idea of where to start off. Being able to simply click one button that would find you all potential one-to-one player deals is what I mean by simplifying (shop the player feature). Being able to know what players are being shopped or which ones can't be touched, that simplify things for the user. Those things aren't in this game. They should have been left as options. Yea I'm sure you can probably still rip off the computer and that's easy but I'd bed it isn't as simple as it used to be.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:15 AM   #11
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmes Pavlov
Well I think easy is the wrong word. I mean the task of simplifying trades. Where you can see what the other team wants and get an idea of where to start off. Being able to simply click one button that would find you all potential one-to-one player deals is what I mean by simplifying (shop the player feature). Being able to know what players are being shopped or which ones can't be touched, that simplify things for the user. Those things aren't in this game. They should have been left as options. Yea I'm sure you can probably still rip off the computer and that's easy but I'd bed it isn't as simple as it used to be.

The financial system is harder to cheat. With a strict salary cap no one will be able to be the 27 Yankees for very long.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:26 AM   #12
bp88
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababui
The financial system is harder to cheat. With a strict salary cap no one will be able to be the 27 Yankees for very long.
Well the financial system has improved greatly in this game. It's arguably the best improvement to the game. Notice I did not say addition since this was already part of the other games. The ability to have multiple leagues may be the best addition so far.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:54 AM   #13
orwell
Major Leagues

Quote:
Too easy for you, because you're so much smarter than me. Bring the option back. Gifted people like you can turn it off - everyone's happy. Simple, no?
orwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #14
mh2365
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (101)
I'm not so sure trade player and shopping block are unrealistic. GM's let it be known that certain players could be had all the time. What I'd like to see is that if you put player A on the block, there is a memory involved. If you get some quality offers for player A and turn them all down, the next time maybe the other GM's don't come calling quite so quick.

Obviously AI like that might be aways off, but it'd still be nice. Also I'd like to see other GM's pull out of a deal when you change something they agree on. So you say I'll give you A&B for C&D, they say okay and then you come back with oh yeah throw in player E, once again they say okay. So now you say and I want 100,000$, then they say no the entire deal is off.

Hard to phrase how I mean but maybe you get the picture.
mh2365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #15
gskong
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The only add I have is to make it easier to initiate a trade. Instead of having to go to the transaction screen each time I wish to offer a trade, I'd like to simply right-click on a player on another team that I'm browsing and be able to select "trade for this player" as one of the options.

I'm surprised noone else has mentioned this. One of the biggest joys of this game is the ability to scout different team, nations, leagues, etc. It's frustrating to have a scout recommand certain players but having no easy way to trade for those player through a simple righ-click function. Having said all that, we all have to recognize that this is an early build of an ambitious game and should be nothing short of impressed by how good it is already.

Last edited by gskong; 06-02-2006 at 01:57 PM.
gskong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #16
bababui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskong
The only add I have is to make it easier to initiate a trade. Instead of having to go to the transaction screen each time I wish to offer a trade, I'd like to simply right-click on a player on another team that I'm browsing and be able to select "trade for this player" as one of the options.

I'm surprised noone else has mentioned this. One of the biggest joys of this game is the ability to scout different team, nations, leagues, etc. It's frustrating to have a scout recommand certain players but having no easy way to trade for those player through a simple righ-click function. Having said all that, we all have to recognize that this is an early build of an ambitious game and should be nothing short of impressed by how good it is already.
"
Old 06-02-2006, 02:41 PM   #17
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

I think that I agree w/ the need for a trading block. In real life, there is no real trading block, it's driven by rumors. I agree that the old block was a little too easy, since it gave you sometimes 20 offers to choose from at once. But....I'd support adding it in a patch and allowing it to be turned on or off.

I'd rather see a rumor mill. One way to do this would be; if I offer a player in a trade, it should somehow become known to the rest of the league that I might want to deal that player. So, the odds of another team sending me an offer for him should increase. Depending on how good he is, some teams should overpay in their offers because of the bidding war. This would be more realistic.

I agree that it is very hard to even figure out who to trade for and for whom, but I'm not sure how to make it easier. Maybe a trade analysis feature could be added to the scout menu. So, I'd assign a scout to locate for me potential trade bait at certain positions based on criteria I set, depth and needs of the other team, etc. The answers coming back would not be offers, but they would be the opinion of the scout. So....I say, I need a veteran LF for a "win now" scenario, and they go scout the league and come back with 5 guys who might fit the bill and what their existing teams might be willing to trade them for.
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #18
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

it would also be nice to be able to approach a team about a player to see what they'd accept in return without offering an actual trade.
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #19
bababui
Hall Of Famer

IMO there is a real trading block IRL. It happens when a GM faxes the name of player or players he is looking to trade...example: last week Esteban Yan of the Angels.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:14 PM   #20
bulldog55
Hall Of Famer

Personally, I prefer the old put-a-player-on-the-trading-block-and-wait-for-an-offer system. I don't like being able to put a player in my trade screen and go from team to team until I find the one who is offering the most, then go through and start with their best players and work down until I find what they're willing to give up.

Trading needs to be like interacting with a person, and the GMs need to get upset the more you ask them what they will give you. Actually, Front Office Football has the best model for this I've seen -- you shop a player and it shows you which teams are most interested, but the more you do it, the more likely other GMs are to not respond.

I think a two-tiered system would be great, one that starts with FOF's model and then allows you to enter more specific negotiations with individual teams, ask them what they'd give you for someone and go from there, again with a limit on how much you can ask. And the more combinations you try, the less patient they get. You shouldn't be able to put every player on their team on and off the block until you find a trade and you shouldn't be able to start with a minimal amount of cash, keep adding until they refuse, then go back down to the highest amount they'll give you (I haven't explored trading in this version yet so I don't know how it works; I'm talking about the former system).

There has to be a happy medium between no offers at all and offering up half their team -- something that feels like you're on the line with another person who has their own interests at stake and isn't willing to show their hand completely, but also wants to be obliging to open up negotiations.

Being smart, don't always make you popular.

Last edited by bulldog55; 06-02-2006 at 05:16 PM.
bulldog55 is offline   Reply With Quote