Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:45 AM   #1
Bobfather
All Star Starter

Wild Pitches / Passed balls

Has anyone else noticed a large amount of wild pitches/ passed balls. In just about every game I've played there is between 2-4( both teams combined) maybe more, and at least one in every game.
Bobfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:48 AM   #2
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Absolutely. Without a doubt. In fact I almost made this same thread yesterday. What's up with 3-6 passed balls/wild pitches per game? My catcher isn't THAT bad...
Old 05-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

Look at your modifiers and see what they are set at.
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

What modifiers would one look at to rectify this? Catcher ability? Pitcher control? For every pitcher in the game? Or is there a default modifier that affects this?I'm not good with modifiers. I've always just played with defaults.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
What modifiers would one look at to rectify this? Catcher ability? Pitcher control? For every pitcher in the game? Or is there a default modifier that affects this?I'm not good with modifiers. I've always just played with defaults.
League Totals and Modifiers

Go to league setup, Stats & AI Tab - right hand side, halfway down.

There is a setting for wild pitches and another for passed balls

Increase for more, decrease for less.

Use small adjustments, not large.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

League Total Modifiers are in League Settings -> Stats and AI tab, right side.

adjust it based on current value. in this particular case, the resolving power of these modifiers are not as fine as it seems. e.g. for passed balls, +/-.001 may have absolutely zero effect, if not on a borderline/horizon already.

normally i'd say if you want 50% fewer passed balls, drop the passed balls LTM by 50%. so if it is a ".564", that'd be a ".282" after the adjustment.

with a huge shift like that, it'll be a good starting point. if league results dictate you want ~50 fewer passed balls, you may need to waffle around a bit, and you may not be able to get what you want.

e.g. you may find the choice is 330/year or ~300 / year.... then the next stop down may be 250 etc... the Modifier in this case doesn't have an effect every single .001 increment. it may be .050 points before it shifts at all.

balks and passed balls are like this in my experience of honing down some static LTM that provide a long-term baseline average i dictate. i usually have to have +x balks and -x passed balls to get nearest my target. one is a bit low, one a bit high, and it evens out better in total.

there's also a txt file that can further manipulate results. in /user/appdata etc... or my documents, i don't recall. just a text file you can edit and change proportion of things.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-27-2019 at 02:54 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #7
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
League Totals and Modifiers

Go to league setup, Stats & AI Tab - right hand side, halfway down.

There is a setting for wild pitches and another for passed balls

Increase for more, decrease for less.

Use small adjustments, not large.
This could be the culprit, especially if it's a league that was imported from 19. I've had issues (not every time) with passed ball modifiers getting skewed during the import process.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #8
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
This could be the culprit, especially if it's a league that was imported from 19. I've had issues (not every time) with passed ball modifiers getting skewed during the import process.
Hmm. Mine is an imported league. I'll check this out. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
Let'sGoBraves
Minors (Single A)

I have noticed a problem with wild pitches and passed balls for many versions of the game now. I just stopped bringing it up because I was always told I was wrong. I hope it is addressed, but it never has been.
Let'sGoBraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #10
Reed
All Star Starter

Instead of just going by in game observations, how many WPs and PB are there for your team? I thought I was getting a lot but I checked my pitchers/ catchers stats and in 73 games so far this year, 1909 historical, I have a total of 23 WP and 15 PBS. Seems pretty reasonable.

People complain about the lack of stats but that stat is available.

Last edited by Reed; 05-29-2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added comment
Reed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #11
andyhdz
All Star Starter

sample size error meet observation bias. "Hi nice to meet you we have so much in common..."
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #12
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let'sGoBraves View Post
I have noticed a problem with wild pitches and passed balls for many versions of the game now. I just stopped bringing it up because I was always told I was wrong. I hope it is addressed, but it never has been.
It really is as simple to fix as putting in the desired number in your League Totals and then running autocalc, to set the League Total Modifier, before the regular season's first game is played.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:55 AM   #13
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
sample size error meet observation bias. "Hi nice to meet you we have so much in common..."
It is like ground hog day around here lately.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:57 AM   #14
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Instead of just going by in game observations, how many WPs and PB are there for your team? I thought I was getting a lot but I checked my pitchers/ catchers stats and in 73 games so far this year, 1909 historical, I have a total of 23 WP and 15 PBS. Seems pretty reasonable.

People complain about the lack of stats but that stat is available.
I couldnt agree more.

If you think there is an issue with passed balls/wild pitches in your game, then look up the total stats for the year. These exact numbers are available on the stats pages.

Saying "I get 3-4 per game and at least one every single game' is not a trustworthy observation.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
phenom
Hall Of Famer

Isn't there also a cfg file setting for this?

phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #16
brotherblues
All Star Reserve

Question: In real life, is there a drop in passed balls and wild pitch percentages when there is a runner on 3rd? I hypothesize that pitchers would be more careful in those cases. If so, it may be that OOTP doesn't take that into account and that's why we see so many runs scored on passed balls and wild pitches.
brotherblues is offline   Reply With Quote