Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:41 AM   #1
towerbooks3192
Minors (Single A)

Advise in getting in to standard MLB game?

I have understood baseball basics, read a bit about sabermetrics and managed to win some games in a fantasy league I set up (basic 16 teams 2 division and no minor whatsoever). I think I can set up my batting line-up and have controlled pitching subs but still have problem trying to set other parts of depth charts. Also I don't know if it is the right thing to do but I tried to assess a player by looking at OBP, ERA, WAR and FIP. and I kept in mind that number of games should be taken in to consideration in using these measures.

Here are some of my concern with jumping in to standard MLB game
- I don't know any team or any players in the game
- I don't know how to use and whe to use the waiver wire and do trades.
- I am unfamiliar with the rules or how a standard season usually goes

Those are some of my major concerns in jumping in to a standard MLB game. Also I am having problems like too many games in a season when it comes to a basic 8 team league in fantasy league especially with player development and 162 games being too much for a 25 men roster to handle.

Would greatly appreciate all the advice I can take and I am slowly loving the game even more.
towerbooks3192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
s0ni42
Minors (Double A)

I'll take a small stab at this, but your best bet is to just play some to familiarize yourself. The game will prompt you for the big, in-season events such as the draft or the international signing period.

I personally don't use the waiver wire too much in single player, but it's worth checking every time your sim gets stopped (for injury, personal message, etc.).

A 25-man roster is in no way intended to get you through the season. You essentially have 15 reserves (40-man roster) that can serve as fill-ins in case of injury. Once on your 40 man roster players can transition between major league team and minor league team freely four times. Once a player has exceeded the number of "options" he must clear waivers to be demoted a fifth time.should you want to clear a guy from your 40-man roster, you would also have to clear him through waivers. This is how the Waiver Wire is populated.

The most traditional times to make a trade are 1) during offseason, 2) very beginning of season or 3) close to trade deadline (end of July).

Hope that helps a touch
s0ni42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

If you are starting to enjoy baseball for baseball's sake, then probably the easiest way to learn about these things is to follow the MLB in real life. Pick a team and follow their season. Watch some of their games. Read fan blogs about their decisions about who they call up, who they trade, etc.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:21 AM   #4
towerbooks3192
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
If you are starting to enjoy baseball for baseball's sake, then probably the easiest way to learn about these things is to follow the MLB in real life. Pick a team and follow their season. Watch some of their games. Read fan blogs about their decisions about who they call up, who they trade, etc.
That is my main problem. I am in Australia and baseball is not really big here. Also we can only see MLB games if we subscribe from our cable operators. I never saw a full game ever and I have seen a part of some like the 2014 all-stars. I don't know who is who but I like the game because of the management aspects and sabermetrics seems interesting.

I guess I should start by reading and watching moneyball, I am leaning towards managing Oakland and then I will try to read about some of its players.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Have a look at the dynasty forums here. Each dynasty is a mini-tutorial on baseball and OOTP, plus they are fun to read.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
towerbooks3192
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Have a look at the dynasty forums here. Each dynasty is a mini-tutorial on baseball and OOTP, plus they are fun to read.
I always always always planned to dive in to the dynasty reports and you have told me to dive in to one over and over again. I better start doing that. Heck I saw a few that range from too detailed and would really immerse you in the world that they created and some that would just post updates on matches. I better find one that gives enough information like why they did what they do instead of just saying that they have traded X player for Y and etc.

I even found a Football Manager playthrough in Dynasty Reports and it was a good read