Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
Red08
Minors (Single A)

Roster update

About how often does OOTP release roster updates? Is it a scheduled thing or only when they bundle it with bug fixes? I only ask cause I want to start a Cardinals playthrough but was gonna wait and see if a roster update was coming soon to reflect the 2 extensions they finalized.
Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i don't keep an eagle-eye on it each year, but i'm pretty sure the rosters are solid by now - even as of initial release.

they may make multiple tweaks here and there, possibly... but each time it encompasses few players relative ot the whole. you would need a new game to realize these changes, but your not likely to notice much difference... if it's a player you like and don't want to restart, just load up a new throw-away league and screenshot his editor info in comissioner mode, then simply copy him by hand.

at some point shortly after the trade deadline they do release an updated roster that includes any player movement since opening day. it is in the form of a world template that you download through addons central? i believe.

when you create a game you go to advanced mode and load that template up. it will be the beginning of the season, not aug 1, but with aug 1 rosters.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-05-2017 at 04:04 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
Kodimus
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
i don't keep an eagle-eye on it each year, but i'm pretty sure the rosters are solid by now - even as of initial release.

they may make multiple tweaks here and there, possibly... but each time it encompasses few players relative ot the whole. you would need a new game to realize these changes, but your not likely to notice much difference... if it's a player you like and don't want to restart, just load up a new throw-away league and screenshot his editor info in comissioner mode, then simply copy him by hand.

at some point shortly after the trade deadline they do release an updated roster that includes any player movement since opening day. it is in the form of a world template that you download through addons central? i believe.

when you create a game you go to advanced mode and load that template up. it will be the beginning of the season, not aug 1, but with aug 1 rosters.
They don't currently reflect opening day rosters for a number of teams, so I'm not sure it's fair to say that the rosters are solid right now. In the case of the Giants, there are a couple players on the roster that aren't in the real world--Justin Ruggiano, Josh Osich and Steven Okert--and Ruggiano has right of refusal to go to the minor leagues, which means I have no choice but to release him if I want to get Marrero on the team.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
nico1270
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post
About how often does OOTP release roster updates? Is it a scheduled thing or only when they bundle it with bug fixes? I only ask cause I want to start a Cardinals playthrough but was gonna wait and see if a roster update was coming soon to reflect the 2 extensions they finalized.
There's usually one update after opening day to reflect real rosters. After that just tune ups and small fixes.
nico1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodimus View Post
They don't currently reflect opening day rosters for a number of teams, so I'm not sure it's fair to say that the rosters are solid right now. In the case of the Giants, there are a couple players on the roster that aren't in the real world--Justin Ruggiano, Josh Osich and Steven Okert--and Ruggiano has right of refusal to go to the minor leagues, which means I have no choice but to release him if I want to get Marrero on the team.
The rosters are updated as of 3/28 (or maybe 3/31, I forget which date exactly). Updates are usually released whenever they release a new update for the game. I would look in about a week or so for an announcement on the next game update (which probably will include a new roster update).
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
eck.nicholas
Major Leagues

They usually do one roster update...but it's for September call ups and trade deadline moves

Chop On: Atlanta Braves
eck.nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:07 AM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
until then, use comissioner mode and correct it.

semantics on solid, use whatever adjective that gives you a warm fuzzy. (~date of patch at best context) if they're only off 1-2 players per 25-man that's not bad... i don't know theh details of the example you gave but most are likely fringe players too.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-06-2017 at 03:10 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

With only 30 players on each team's 40-man, I wouldn't call it solid by any means.

Given the latest patch was released on April 1, and Opening Day(s) were April 3/4, I mean, the roster team is good, but they ain't that good. Unless Nostradamus joined the team and I wasn't aware of it.

I'm waiting until the next patch before I start any saved games I'm actually going to care about.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
We'll never be able to get the rosters to 100% reflect the Od rosters, since the ai and the rl teams have different ideas on which positions to keep more players at and other stuff like that.

They are are pretty solid as far as we can get them imo. I've made a few tweaks and adjustments to get them more accurate that should show up in the next patch, which will likely come out in a week or so, but they're never going to be 100% perfect since the ai does come into play.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-06-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
With only 30 players on each team's 40-man, I wouldn't call it solid by any means.

Given the latest patch was released on April 1, and Opening Day(s) were April 3/4, I mean, the roster team is good, but they ain't that good. Unless Nostradamus joined the team and I wasn't aware of it.

I'm waiting until the next patch before I start any saved games I'm actually going to care about.
We used projected OD rosters and got things pretty close. Not perfect by any means, as I mention above.

The 40-man rosters are ai set, and we can't mess with that unfortunately. Well we could, but then it would lead to lots of releases and massive changes as soon as you start playing so it's better to leave it how it is. Then the ai doesn't make too many changes and end up putting half the players on waivers once you run the first day of your season.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-06-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #11
Kodimus
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
We'll never be able to get the rosters to 100% reflect the Od rosters, since the ai and the rl teams have different ideas on which positions to keep more players at and other stuff like that.

They are are pretty solid as far as we can get them imo. I've made a few tweaks and adjustments to get them more accurate that should show up in the next patch, which will likely come out in a week or so, but they're never going to be 100% perfect since the ai does come into play.
I definitely didn't mean for it to sound like a knock on what you guys have done. I was just hoping to see some updates since I'd like to run challenge mode with as close to OD rosters as possible when they're available.

Regarding the AI coming into play, is that even the case if I start the game as the GM of a team? Or only for AI teams?
Old 04-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #12
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

I believe it's that if the AI doesn't like how the real life rosters are set up, it's going to make a lot of changes around the league to get to what it thinks the rosters *should* be. With regards to the team you control, it would depend entirely on what roster decisions you have delegated to your Assistant GM (who is really just the AI).

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
I definitely didn't mean for it to sound like a knock on what you guys have done. I was just hoping to see some updates since I'd like to run challenge mode with as close to OD rosters as possible when they're available.

Regarding the AI coming into play, is that even the case if I start the game as the GM of a team? Or only for AI teams?
I didn't think it was a knock, no worries, was just trying to explain further.

It's true even before you start the game, when we import the rosters into the game, the ai makes its own moves even before you start a new quickstart.

Once you start a game as manager the ai won't make any more moves, but the initial 40 man rosters, assignments etc are all ai influenced. We just do our best to get the ratings good enough that things get set up as close to rl as possible, but that's never 100%